Wls

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi guys I'm from the UK I'm 25 and have struggled with my weight all my life always been a big girl. I went to my doctor for help with my weight which she then sent me to see a dietitian who said wls was available for me and for me to start my therapy treatment again because I was having wls.

Dietitian also said I had to go to group sessions to talk about my weight and surgery. Did anyone else have to do that? I'm so looking for someone who has has wls for some advice.

Tia

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

yes I am going to see surgeon next week then therapy , nutrition ,doctors and exercise trainer it is a process and can take up to 1 year before surgery

• Posted

Do you know what sort of wls you are wanting I've looked so much up about the sleeve and think that's the best. When I've read up about wls people r saying you can choose yourself on which surgery your wanting do you know if that's true? X

• Posted

there will be many 'hoops' you will need to jump through before you satisfy the bariatric team that you are suitable for WLS which is not a quick fix or something that you should enter into without giving it great though - the various people you will need to see will have to decide whether you are a suitable candidate or not - not everyone is suited to this type of surgery as it involved a great deal of commitment and hard work - the whole process can take a long time and how long can depend on the area you come from as everywhere differs - it is a bit of a postcode lottery - it sounds like you are in the system though so good luck and hope it all goes well for you - in the meantime the best thing to do is as much research as poss - find out about all the different types of surgery available - look at the negatives and positives and if poss try and chat to people who actually have had these types of WLS and be aware that what can be an advantage for one person could be a disadvantage for another - there are various groups and organisations on line you could try or a support group maybe run by the hosp where you are having your op or other groups that run such support mechanisms - you could try WLSinfo online or have a look at Facebook - ask the surgeon loads of questions and be honest with your lifestyle, eating habits, etc so he can guide you as best as poss to which type of surgery you would be best suited to. once again good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.