Woke up 3 werks ago with a swollen sore onee

Posted , 4 users are following.

Im fit healthy never had any problems with my knee untill 3 weeks ago i woke it was swollen an very sore .. just had a mri scan waiting on results ... 3 weeks later the swellin has gone down but i still can not walkproperly bend or streighten my knee it feels atiff n very strange like my knee xap isnt in the right place .. doctor thinks cartalage or torn tendon.. anyone else with my symptoms for this long?? What did it turn out to be?? Its driving me crazy now never been this sore or disabled for this long 😣

2 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

• Posted

Could be a torn meniscus. But you'll have to wait to get the MRI results. In the meantime, try to rest, ice, elevate. You may want to use crutches to avoid further damage. Did they give you a leg brace? That helped me while waiting for surgery. Or wrap an Ace bandage around it. I know that feeling well as I've had 2 torn meniscus in a year. That's exactly what it feels like. Good luck.

• Posted

Thanks for ur reply, today my knee is swollen again an feels brused on the bones arround it every mornin is a struggle to get goin ,its eased off over the 3 weeks but still far from better ive got groin pains an calf pains from limping n compinsating my poorly leg grrr what a night mare lol how did ur op an recovery time go? An how long did u wait for mri results please?? X
    • Posted

My MRI results came in about 10 days. Then waited another month for surgery. I hope they can fix your problem. Good luck.
    • Posted

Ahh 10 days isnt too bad its been 7 today so hopefully not much longer, another month for surgery tho 😣.. jesus its a good job im a solja lol gonna need more pain killers i think .. thankyou for ur help xx

• Posted

Good luck getting pain killers! In 2016 they gave them to me while I was waiting for surgery. Last year, they said they only give them after surgery.
    • Posted

Oh so true in the US...  Hydrocodone (Vicodin, Norco) constipates the hell out of me so I can only do oxycodone (Percocet).  Just got 30 10/325's after my spine surgery but I HATE taking them so the fewer the better.

But pain after a TKR is a whole other ballgame...waaaay worse than my four kidney stones combined.  Patients really need good meds at least for the first 30 days...period.  After that, docs will give you Tramadol (a very mild opioid) like M&Ms...then straight ibuprofen.

The problem is the first 30+ days...some people need more that hydro or oxy (more like dilaudid, morphine, etc.) but I know of no docs that will send people home with those meds.  This is why it's critical for a TKR patient to work very closely with their doc to find the right drug, at the right dose, on the right time schedule to build up the medication in the blood stream (titration) and to maintain that level throughout the time required.  The patient MUST adhere to the schedule so the effective levels in the blood do not drop off.

Sometimes adding a second med in the form of a muscle relaxer like Flexeril also helps a lot.  I was on Percocet 10/500 + 20mg of Flexeril. every 6 hours.  Unfortunately for me, I have a huge tolerance to these meds so it really only "took the edge off" and did not really kill all the pain.  Sometimes, ya just gotta fight through it.

No one can expect the drugs to take away ALL the pain...that's called being unconscious.  There will always be pain; the question is: how much can you reasonably tolerate?  If you can't, work with your doc on med, dose and schedule.  Adjustments can make all the difference.

And remember, after the first 30 days or so, you will be slowly titrating DOWN to get off the major pain meds and onto the lesser ones as you transition to no meds at all over time.  That's the way it's done...for all of us.  

• Posted

They gave me oromorph when i was last there 2 weeks ago .. im on zapain off a friend witch work great with para inbetween x
    • Posted

Good. At least you're managing the pain. Keep me posted after your doctor appointment. It should be this week right?

• Posted

Ok so got my results yesterday the mri looks quite normal apart from a small cysts behind my knee, im gonna have phsyo then see a othopidic doctor if it doesnt get better,ive come away from the doctors with no answees if im honest .. in now wondering why there not dealing with the cysts seem as its causeing me this much bother 🤔🤔 x

• Posted

Back in my 50's I had FOUR knee events.  X-rays showed nothing; MRIs were inconclusive...which is NOT unusual.  When that occurs, the docs will "scope" the knee to see what's wrong.  From your symptoms, they might have an idea of the general area of concern but they will not know exactly what's wrong (sprain? partial tear? full tear?) until they go in and see for themselves.  Don't even attempt a self-diagnosis.

The result of my four "encounters", two were torn menisci (one each side) and two ripped off femoral condyle cartilages (one each side).  All of this occurred over the course of about seven years.  Of course, with me, all of this was the result of playing hockey for 45+ years so it was probably no big surprise to the docs.

For me, each scope was a no-brainer.  Op on a Friday, ice and elevate over the weekend, back to work on Monday with a portable ice cuff.  Piece o' cake.  Other people have longer recoveries (especially for things like major ACL tears) but, then again, I'm a hockey player...we get 20 stitches and are back on the ice for Period 2.

So...  Don't try any diagnosing...leave that to the docs who may have to scope the knee to find AND FIX the exact cause of your problem.

• Posted

Hii gosh u have had it tough i can not imagin goin thro this that many times, doctor says cartalage maybe an hospital said torn ligamentmaybe? Its strange how ive done nothing that i know of to cause it an like i say had no previous pains or anything... its defo not getting better an im hurting in other places daily from limping etc 😣 x

• Posted

My ex-wife ripped up her knee playing high school varsity basketball.  In her 40's she did the identical damage to her other knee getting out of bed one morning, catching her pinkie toe on the sheet and twisting her knee.  Pinkie toe...sheet...same damage...

For me, the four ops left me with growing arthritis (like rust, it never sleeps) and a bone-on-bone condition.  Got away with zero pain by having a series of Synvisc shots every 10-12 months.  Helped me for 5-6 years.  Then I moved to a much warmer climate and needed nothing for another five until my left knee finally gave up the ghost and I needed a TKR.  Need a second but I'm putting that off until this first one is a very distant memory.  I've had a hip replaced plus four spinal ops (two fusions) plus lots of other ops (30 in the last 18 years...but mostly minor stuff).  I can tell you that a TKR is worse than anything I've ever been through.  Massive pain for 2-3 months and a year's recovery.  Not for the faint of heart...

• Posted

Ok so question about the MRIs. I asked my doctor about a follow up MRI on my knee and he said it will ALWAYS show an abnormal read because of the scopes. Is this true?
  • Posted

Hmmm you should see the orthopedist asap. Usually the cysts show up because something else is going on. Apparently I had them too as a result of a torn meniscus. I don't think physio will help.

• Posted

Yess as ive read up.it says there usually caused by something .. but there sayin my results r normal .. im still limping i still cant bend or streighten my knee should i be in this much disscomfort from abit of fluid??? Will b 5 weeks on monday 😣 xx

• Posted

I was able to bend and straighten as soon as all the swelling went down with no PT. That said, I was in a lot of pain too and still am 4 months later. I don't know what to do either.

• Posted

Been back today to doctor they are refering me to a othapidic doctor so now waiting on that ... i just want to know whats wrong been like this for so long is terrible ...cant belive uv been like it for 4 months 😣 xx

• Posted

Oh no. I thought you were seeing on orthopedic doctor already! When are you going? Have you had an MRI yet?
    • Posted

No im not yet .. yes had mri they say it looks normal ... but because of the fluid there is obviously something goin on .... i just dont seem to be getting any better an its been 6 weeks now 😣 ... i tried to do a lil on legs at the gym last week gosh what a big mistake i was soo sore the next day an i only did about 5 leg presses 20kg 😣 xxx

• Posted

You should probably be on crutches till the doc figures out what's wrong. You could be making it worse. I'm sorry you're not getting the help you need in a timely fashion. Can you call the orthopedist and see if they can get you in ASAP? It's an emergency at this point! God bless and prayers for you..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.