woke up feeling panicky and scared to go back to sleep

Posted , 5 users are following.

Woke up about 30 minutes ago having a panic attack which hasn't happened before. Feel so scared to go back to sleep as feel I might not wake up, I feel like I'm going to die. This is so horrible sad 

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I feel like that - nit been to the toilet all day, woke up with a pounding headache. You ever get that?
    • Posted

With the headaches I take paracetamol and wear sunglasses when playing on phone or watching tv which kinda helps. 
  • Posted

The best thing I have found to do when I have a panic attack is to walk around until I calm down a bit. You could also try to play a game on your phone or something until you fall back to sleep. Anxiety is a tricky thing.
    • Posted

Thanks Ashley I'm going to try a game on my phone and hopefully it will just send me off to sleep. It's really tricky I which there was an easy and quick fix to it all
  • Posted

Hi Kerrianne, 

Just remember that panic attacks by night aren't exactly the same as panic attacks at any other time of the day and that they can not hurt you what so ever! They are merely a discomfort and an inconvenience and don't deserve your attention. Regardless of whether you think about the panic attack or not it is going to happen and it is going to come to an end and eveything will be fine again. 

Just remember that panic attacks are merely your bodies way of dealing with scary thoughts.  None of the sensations and symptoms will actually hurt you. 

As for sleeping you are fine! Nothing has happened to you before tonight therefore why would anything happen tonight? All of the thoughs and fear that you are feeling right now is simply down to your head working over time. There is no logical reason for the thoughts and you sure as hell shouldn't let them beat you. The heart doesn't simply stop for no reason. You don't suddenyl stop breathing for no reason. You are fine!! Relax and forget the bad thoughts and instead think about how comfy your bed is and how you plan to spend your day tomorrow? Or maybe what you fancy for dinner tomorrow? Maybe places that you wouldn't mind going on holiday to this year! Distance yourself away from it all and instead fill your mind with relevant / useful nice stuff! Eventually as your body relaxes again and the adrenaline sibsides you will drop off into a nice sleep again and then tomorrow you will wake up and it will all be in the past and you will feel silly for even letting it get to you !

Sweet dreams!

• Posted

Thank you matt

This is actually very useful, sometimes it just takes a voice of reasoning...or a message in this case.I'm going to try the good thoughts as above and hopefully drift off back to sleep.

Thank you for your message really appreciate this

Kerrianne

• Posted

Youtube have good anexity mediations where a calm simply voice makes you relax but if it is for sleep making sure it is a sleeping one. I listen to it everynight for past week which helped up untill last night. It's amazing how it makes u feel calm and relaxed 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.