woke up with severe vertigo (again)

Posted , 6 users are following.

i woke up today (friday) with severe vertigo and nausea, particularly when sitting/standing up or if i lay on my right side. The dizziness has given me a terrible headache also. I have been doing the epley manouver which did help a bit until the headache developed. I suffered from the same symptoms around 7 months ago, which lasted a few days but i really want to get it under control as i get too nauseated to eat and moving around at work caused me to vomit from the dizziness the last time, which i don't want to go through again.

is there anything more i can do, or any over the counter remedies that worked for anyone else to make this more managable?

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Over the counter meclizine. It says it is non seating, but will cause sedation in some, so use with care until you see how it affects you.

If the vertigo is BPPV, Epley should work, but it tends to be more effective if you have a professional do it on you.

• Posted

What type of Vertigo have you been diagnosed with ? Who did the Epley maneuver to you ?

The only advice I can give you is for Meniere disease Vertigo , if I feel it starting I take a long shower because of "immersion diuresis" reverses water retention one of the causes of inner ear swelling . If I'm not near a shower I'll find relief in walking nonstop for 4 hours or until the symptoms go away , if I walk nonstop the symptoms will stay at their early stage ,will not escalate , if I lie down my symptoms will worsen to the full extent and I'll be very sick.

Hope it helps.

• Posted

Greetings.

I recommend that you go to a neurologist or otolaryngologist, Vertigo can occur due to different causes such as brain tumor, ear problem and even migraine headaches; while you have these symptoms you have to sleep in an inclined way with some pillows.

Get well soon.

• Posted

thanks for your responses. i am still dizzy today but not as bad, though i feel wiped out. I have no official diagnoses, and my doctors surgery is closed for the weekend so i may not get an appointment until midweek at least. saying this, having used the AskNHS service and the symptom checker on this site and given my past experience with it, i am fairly certain it is BPPV related.

in regards to OTC relief, i was hoping for more guidance on what to look for on shelves, antihistamines or travel sickness e.t.c. If anyone has any suggestions of something i could pick up in boots to get me through until it clears or i see a doctor for example, i'd be grateful.

• Posted

UPDATE: Spoke to a pharmacist who recommend 'Sturgeon 15' travel sickness tablets. Have taken 1 tablet (suggested dosage was 2) as i wanted to gauge any side effects first.

Will post again if there is any result.

• Posted

Sounds like your in the UK. Yes, cinnarazine is the motion sickness med available there. Here in the US it is meclizine. Hope you feel better soon!

• Posted

thank you. i was ok for a short while but am now suffering again, the nausea has gone but the vertigo is more or less constant tonight. I was in the early stages of a panic attack at the prospect of work on monday (cannot get out of it), given the impossibility of seeing a GP before then to get help or a diagnoses, so the cinnarazine is a last resort.

• Posted

UPDATE: took two sturegon about 2 hours ago, am still extremely dizzy. no effect (good or bad) whatsoever. will contact doctors when they open tomorrow but am getting very stressed by it all.

• Posted

DAY 4. Tried to persevere through a dinner at relatives house yesterday, didn't end too well. Blamed migraine for the lack of appetite, ended up having a panic attack due to being under surveillance by fussing grandparents. Braved the walk to my GP surgery today hoping for an early app'tment today or tomorrow, receptionist scoffed and said i could only ring early on the day and hope for the best. Feeling pretty hopeless right now and i haven't even started work yet.

• Posted

saw a GP today, after ruling out a stroke, she concluded it was labrynthitis "or similar inner ear disorder" and gave me prochlorazerine.

• Posted

I hope she put you off work for awhile to recover. Yes it could be an inner ear virus... if it keeps going, try to see a neurologist to see if you could be having vestibular migraine. They usually have to rule out other things related to the inner ear, such as Menieres. VNG/calorics testing helps to rule out inner ear causes, and can point towards specific ones. Did the Dr do the Epley maneuver on you to see if it could be BPPV?

• Posted

No epley manouver, the bulk of the tests were for stroke (raising arms, following light e.t.c) followed by her looking in my ears and a diagnoses, with advice to go back in a few days if there is no improvement. i am better than i was, but also aware it can take a while to feel "normal" again. Trouble is NHS doctors are so busy it sometimes feels like they offer an easy explaination to get you out the door (my appointment. was 35 minutes late)

• Posted

Well I hope you get well quick. Do go back if you're not. The test to see if vertigo is caused by BPPV is actually called the Dix Hallpike test. If u go back, ask them to do that on you. If it's positive, the Epley maneuver should fix you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.