womb prolapse

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi, this is my first posting here i am new to this forum.  If i have posted in wrong place i apologise.  I have what i suspect is a womb prolapse, i saw a GP who has referred me to the Gynaecologist.  I have a two month wait for that appointment so have come here to see if anyone can answer a couple of things for me.  I can feel the prolapse from just inside me, it has moved about during dropping. I first felt like a punch from the inside of my stomach like when a baby kicks, and then some weeks later i felt a drop inside.  With almost constant needing to pass urine and intermittent pain in ovary areas and lower stomach areas.  I had an extremely painful smear test which had to be abandoned some months ago and then a scan instead with no concerns raised.  The GP was unable to fully examine internally as it was so painful for me but she has said the hospital will need to go much deeper to see "where its coming from"...i was unwell on that day as i have other health issues and came home a bit baffled...surely a prolapsed womb can only come from one place? at first it felt central but higher , then lower but to the side, and now central and lower as it was on the day i saw the GP.  Is the internal examination at the hospital very invasive?.  Sorry to have rambled am just trying to explain my plight correctly.  Also she seemed to think they would give me a suppository ring to hold the womb back in place, i dont want this, my body rejected the coil years ago and due to pain there the procedure and replacements bother me, i am 60 yrs old have been through the menopause, for me i would rather have surgery.

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

I hope this helps a bit.

i had quite a sudden prolapse at the end of December. Firstly some bleeding and then I noticed that something was coming out of me, which I subsequently found out was my uterus and cervix.

it was a most unpleasant, uncomfortable, painful experience.

i leaked the whole time and going to the loo was difficult, especially wiping my bum after evacuating.

i was lucky to have low level private health insurance and so saw a consultant quite quickly. I knew I would have to have a hysterectomy which he confirmed. I had only a three week wait for an op but in the meantime he fitted a vaginal pessary, the following day the pain was excruciating and felt like a snooker cue was up my anus. That evening the uterus and cervix were back hanging out again so two days later I got my GP to remove the pessary. Oh blessed relief!

i could never use tampons and think I had a retroverted womb?

Anyway I had a hysterectomy and anterior repair three weeks ago and it was been plain sailing apart from the inevitability of trapped air pain. Am keeping absolutely to guidelines about lifting etc .

i am 65 by the way,

Good luck and hope this helps you

Catherine 

• Posted

Sounds like you need a hystcopey where they will need to remove it usually under general anasestic but only takes ten minutes I had two of these unfortunately when they went to look they couldn't see anything so as I was bleeding irregularly I ended up having a hysterectomy which was the best thing for me

• Posted

I think you mean "hysteroscopy" which is putting a scope up vagina into uterus to look all around. When he said "see where it's coming from" - maybe means to check if you have other prolapses also, other than womb. The scope is not invasive as you would have a light anaesthetic I imagine.

• Posted

Thank you for your replies everyone...i feel clearer in my head with it now.
    • Posted

Hi Kim i had the same problem last June . Came home from the gym and felt a snap with a sharp pain. Like something had fallen out i when to the doctors or refer me to the hospital. After a scan and a scopy which was not painful i was total i had a large prolape womb which was also pushing against my bladder.so would need a hysterectomy and a pelvic repair . i Had the ring fitted first but was not suitable for me.and cause me a few problems and i was wanting to wee all the time and was so uncomfortable . While i was waiting for my operation i was advised to avoid tomatoes any cirus fruit diet drinks and use decaf tea or coffee as there's can irritate your bladder and it did help giving them up I had a hysterectomy on the 1st november 16. And a pelvic repair. I can honestly say i now feel amazing and it was the best thing i had done. Ive returned to the gym but keeping away from any sit up. Hope this helps i am 58 . Hope everything goes well for you xx

• Posted

thank you...i really dont want the ring fitted so will refuse that.  Am glad your so much better now and thanks again for your comments here xx
  • Posted

Hi its me again lol.....is it usual for a womb prolapse to move, at first it was to the front, then i felt it more to the right side, its now right at the back...i also think its a bit lower than before.  I have my hospitial appt may 4th am dreading it as any internal examinations cause me a lot of discomfort, and my GP commented that the hospital will need to examine "much deeper" than they did....at 60yrs old i find the whole thing dreadful.

• Posted

I'm struggling with how on earth you have any idea whatsoever where on earth your womb is currently positioned??? Also vaginal exams are so normal so you need to get that in your head and remember we all have them done & your probably making yours a lot worse than necessary due to being so uptight about it, so really tense. It won't make the examiners job any easier if your too uptight & tense.

• Posted

Hi robyn94818 thanks for your input.  I can actually feel it, only barely inside me, and what i can feel is the same shape and texture and has moved from side to front then to back area.  I guess what has put me off is the distastrous and extremely painful smear test where the nurse couldnt find my cervix, she tried three times and it seriously felt like she was cutting me with a knife.  Hopefully it wont be like that at the hospital...i agree being tenst wont help but bad experiences kind of do that to some of us who also have other health problems too.
    • Posted

Where do you feel it? Through abdominal wall by palpating or what? I seriously doubt you can feel it. It's just not possible. That's a shame that a nurse hurt you doing smear. In NZ where I go for that, only Dr's do them.

• Posted

i can feel by gently putting a finger in internally, it has obviously dropped very low, i have just been reading on an nhs website describing a prolapse in stages...when its just inside the vagina its stage 3 and when it actually protrudes outside, which it can, then its a stage 4 prolapse.  Its looking like i am hovering between those stages.  Thankfully my hospital appointment is not far off now and they will surely be experts at this. 
  • Posted

I am waiting on hysterectomy due to prolapse , due to be youngs age 52 they have recommended this rather than the ring .

I was seen within 3 weeks by my consulate , now waiting on a date for op .

I am having vaginal operation , also having the lining stitched back .

Since they have prod me about I am in constant pain .

• Posted

hi julie65763 i hope your pain eases for you, that must be awful, i can identify as i felt pain when i was brave enough to feel inside how far it had dropped as i felt it drop and knew it had moved as it interferes with toilet issues.  i think it will be the op for me too as at 60yrs and done the menopause etc there is no point in trying to hold it back in with a ring.  Thankyou for your reply x and i hope your pain eases.
    • Posted

Hi Kim , thank you for your reply , I am way through menopause thank god . EVery day I expect a letter , for my pre med , and a date for op .

Not sure how I will cope being off work 6 weeks not doing anything as I struggle sit still .

Do hope all goes well for you to .x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.