Won't go away!!!

Posted , 16 users are following.

I have had Blepharitis in my right eye for three months straight now...

I have visited my local GP who advised me the only way to 'control' the infection is to use a hot compress against the eye four times a day. I did this religiously for 4 weeks straight - no change or improvement.

I continued with the hot compress and after two weeks I decided to visit Moor Fields Eye Hospital (Europe's leading eye hospital) - they also told me the same thing 'there is no cure'. 

My is constantly swollen, red and itchy - it is driving me crazy! 

I have had a look at the comments on this forum and a lot of comments write 'WET ONES' reduce the swelling. Is this true?!

Thanks,

Imogen

0 likes, 48 replies

48 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Imogen, I also take 6000mgs of Omega3 capsules after reading about the benefits experienced by patients taking part in a clinical trial. I also take Fexofenadine 180mg 1 tablet per day. I have chronic rhinitis so I was taking ceterazine for years before the Bleph kicked in after which my doctor changed me to Fexofenadine. 

I havent tried blephagel yet but yet but may in the future if nothing else helps. The Bleph wipes make my eyes swell. It's really a case of seeing what works for you.

Some folk find tea tree oil mixed with another light oil helps dry flaky eyelids and itchy eyelash base, others find a facial steamer soothing.

Different things help at different times. I hope you find your formula soon. Best wishes, Pamela 

• Posted

Hi Pamela, sadly I can't take cod liver oil as the tablets invariably burst in my throat and this causes me to be violently sick, I'm not sure if they would help but fortunately my routine of cetrazine and blephagel is fantastic for me xx

• Posted

Hi!

I'm 23 and a similar situation except had this a few years now and like others have said it takes a while to find your solution.

The key is consistency with whatever you try. If something works don't stop doing it because the symptoms have gone.

I tried wet ones which worked well but not for long as it came back.

I take anti histamines if I get a flare up

Now I use tea tree oil baby shampoo and water mix twice daily and symptoms are so reduced I can wear mascara for the first time in 2 years.

I also bought a natural mascara as I found high street brands (guessing the chemicals) made my eyes worse.

Stick to whatever you try for a few weeks and you will find something that works I'm sure!

• Posted

There's alot more to it than that ! The hot compresses , if not followed by expressing the " bad" goo from the glands , is a total waste of time . Cleaning the eye rims and especially over the area of the gland openings afterwards is ESSENSIAL .  One needs to keep the natural oils flowing , get the old gunk out of the glands then cleaned away ASAP . Expressing and cleansing 4 times per day should hopefully catch the bugs in between their breeding periods ( as I believe they only live a few days ) and keep the infected material and "baby bugs " washed away .

I tried the wet ones and made things worse . We're covered in bacteria , good and bad , and by trying to eradicate the big "baddies " I probably destroyed all bacteria allowing the worst bacteria back before the safe bacterias .

My anterior blepth cured itself in time but then became posterior blepth ( very dry eyes , sporadic gland functioning , but little or no mess )

• Posted

The Wet Ones have helped my eyes become less irritated and red.  They also have taken away the oily crud that was always at my lashline even after using the Steirlid cleanser religously.  I still have thickened eyelids because my bleph went undiagnosed by my optometrist for years.  I wore contacts and thought my eyes were dry due to them.  The opthamologist I later visited saw my problem in 30 seconds, but the lids are permanently damaged as far as I can tell.  When I asked the dr., she said probably it was permanent.  My eyes will never look normal again unless someone somewhere finds a cure.  In the meantime, the Wet Ones have helped the most.
  • Posted

I think alot of us have anterior and posterior bleph that hasnt been diagnosed. Guess its quite common to have both. I do. Although my posterior is worse then the outside anterior bleph. Anyone not having sucess my want to be rechecked for both. Although i have a heck of a time. Sick of Blepharitis period! Xx
  • Posted

Thyis is a very uncomfortable condition.  Has your doctor pescribed and eye ointments??  I have an ointment to use for a month and I am also taking an alergy tablet.  I getting relief now but when I have a bad day, I have to turn the lights off in my office because my eyes become very light sensitive.  Hope you can find some relief.

• Posted

Im light sensitive too,plus i have floaters,can get really hard.
  • Posted

I cured mine.
    • Posted

Hi Imogen , I can't be sure but i feel that it's been  a  mixture of my own immune system , diet and NOT over-use of chemcical cleaners .The wipes if strong are going to kill ALL bacteria , even the good bacteria , allowing the worst / strongest bacteria to return and dominate . I haven't done any eye-lid cleansing for over 2 weeks and that was by only using pre-boiled water ( pleasantly warm ) with a dash of baby bath wash lotion ( with cammomile ) soaked into a good quality textured kitchen paper . Before each main meal I take barely diluted white cider vinegar to target the ph level of my gut and to keep to an acceptable level the candida yeast  that we all have and need in our guts . Plenty of fruit and veg , water , linseed on my breakfast and omega 3 capsules .

Personally I believe that one has to start with bolstering one's own defences first and try to only target the bad bugs and hopefully leave the unharmfull ones to survive . AVOID anti biotics IF possible . When things are bad then the carefull cleaning across the gland openings must be as often as one can manage to do , as keeping the glands flowing and producing new fluid . The expressing keeps up the pressure behind the flow , which keeps the old tacky infected stuff , old tissue , eggs maybe ? on a one way trip out of the glands . Evidently if this flow is interupted for too long , then the future production of new oils will STOP !

Don't punish your eyes / lids , it's not their fault ! Maybe some of the swelling is they feel under attack from the chemicals ?

• Posted

Hi David,

I have been using the 'wet ones' every morning/evening - just gently brushing the wipe across my eye once. It seems to of done the trick in terms of swelling / white lumps have disapeared...

I have taken note re Omega 3!

Thanks for your comment.

Imogen

• Posted

Hello David, One question did you cured anterior or posterior Blepharitis?
  • Posted

Anyone tryed avenova wipes ? Or occusoft plus. They both get rave reviews if you google product nane plus customer reviews!
    • Posted

I havnt tryed either yet,but looks like same results as wet wipes and looks like they are very safe. Xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.