wondering

Posted , 12 users are following.

This website was suggessed to me for information to find coping skills after I prgoressed rapidly to GCA. I wanted to know about how people coped and learn from their personal experience. I admit I am more frustated now, simply due to what I am perceiving as others seem to related to finding something to accept blame over, something they might have done that has lead up to the horrible medical condition. This is something that even my own GP has used in discounting my explaining what I am feeling, rather than helping me. However, having said that, I do appreciate input, answers and shared experiences. In an attempt to find something that might personally help me with coping. But I am not a believer in somthing i personally have done wrong. Yes, at my age of 67, I do believe I have some well earned aches just from living. But nothing to the level that is so physically debiliatating as GCA. I am now in a three day flaire-up. I am feeling very defeated and tired from no sleep due to the horrific pain. My goodness, the word comfort is so darn elusive, and something I crave...thank you for allowing my vent.

Sheila

1 like, 68 replies

68 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Lost ground to the pain again today...going to emergency...I really really dislike this
    • Posted

sad

Hope you got some good, relevant treatment at emergency.  

• Posted

Just to let ev1 know, I was released from hospital yesterday, horribly fatigue and weak. So much done to me hard to explain. Feeling better, hope my steriods are now at a level I will not experience those horrible flairs.
    • Posted

Do tell us what happened when you feel able to - I wondered where you had been.
    • Posted

Glad to hear from you.  I, too, had been wondering about you.  ❤
  • Posted

Updating: Well, this is certianly been a whirlwind of a medical journey. I was admitted to the hospital. So much blood work it made me feel like a pin cushion. I had a MRI with contrast of my head, I had a CT scan of my entire adnominal area, and now this coming Friday I am scheduled for a PET scan. They have finally increased my pred to 40 mgs a day until under control. Since they have done that my flairs are less, but I am still taking strong pain med occasionally. I was sent to Onocology because something was abnormal within my bones and liver  which was found on the CT scan. My Onocolgy Dr wants a tissue sample and the PET scan will give them a area to target. I will see him again on the same day as my PET scan. He is highly suspicious on me having bone cancer, since breast cancer typically comes back in bones.  My right arm remains useless, and now my left leg is also becoming unfuctional. Hard to get up and down. I am using a TENS electronic stimulator on my back on bad flair days which seems to help, along with many ice packs. My flair days seem to last 2-3 days at a time, in which I do not get any sleep, so I am quite exhausted all the time. Out of desperation due to the lackof sleep I finally took two Benadrylto help me go to sleep.  I am a mixture of feeling, naturally scared to death and frustrated. Wish me luck if you will I think I am going to need it. Thank you for your support. 
    • Posted

I will wish you "get better soon".

That all sounds rather horrible and very scary. I will say though that PMR and all that goes with it is a diagnosis of exclusion - and cancers are amongst the exclusion diagnoses I'm afraid. At least they are on a track of some sort now - and I do hope they can make you feel better, above all, in less pain.

Hugs

• Posted

It was confirmed Friday I have stage 4 bone cancer, no cure, treatment is and will be all about pain mangement. My question: how does one go from being told you are cancer free to stage 4 bone cancer? What part of my healthcare failed me? 

So thank you to all the support and the questions I had. This is a awesome site with so much information and wonderful people. Keep on keeping on, be joyful and kind to one another.

• Posted

I am so sorry - there is nothing I can say that means anything better than that is there? My SIL was diagnosed last year with pancreatic cancer - exactly the same situation as you are now in, no cure, and I have nothing I can say there either. 

Is it a case of your healthcare failing you? I suppose it is. With your history of breast cancer, when you had the symptoms of PMR/GCA perhaps they should have been a lot more proactive much sooner though it probably would not have altered the outcome. How long is it since you were cleared of the breast cancer originally? But that is all pointless really.

I can only wish you good palliative care from a compassionate team who make sure your pain is well controlled and that you have good support to live well for as long as you can. 

Hugs xxxx

• Posted

Eileen says it all, that there is nothing we can say.  You are embarking on the journey which someday we all face and I wish you love, peace and joy.  ❤
    • Posted

What a horrible shock for you!

​I wish you calmness and peace in your horrible situation........but keep strong with the times ahead,  keep us posted if you can manage it, we are all thinking of you..... Blessings....

• Posted

Yes - I should have said and Linda has reminded me. Just because your illness isn't PMR or GCA doesn't mean you can't come here and have a scream or whatever you need. Our ears and arms are open anytime.

xxxxxxxxxxxx

• Posted

GCA pain is not the same as PMR and is stopped by correct prednisione schedule.

I have only experienced very slight ephemeral pains on my temple and they vanish when rubbed slightly. Other pains are reported but prednisone should stop them.

My own "exciting experience" would be instructive. Google can find it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.