Wondering about dialysis

Posted , 8 users are following.

I'm not from the U.K. But maybe someone can help me. I'm in stage 4 renal failure and feeling pretty bad most of the time. My nephrologist is pushing for dialysis but I'm pretty torn. If I go ahead with dialysis will I feel better? I just can't see putting myself (and my wife) through this if I'm going to feel the same.

2 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I always say a good doctor would never disagree with a second opinion. I would find a university hospital that has ckd programs. They always have the latest and new methods of treatment. That's what my husband and I did. Our doctors told us that they never saw blood clots so massive, which by the way, can be a symptom of ckd. They said they had only seen this in patients with a certain kind if cancer. We went into full panic mode and a friend suggested Univ of North Carolina. In a nut shell the lead Nephrologist and Hematologist Cancer doctors there looked at us confused. Theyvsermed to be a bit annoyed, not with us, but with the doctors that told us that. He did NOT have any kind of cancer at all. He does have ckd but caused. Y some unknown autoimmune disease, which apparently is not uncommon. UNC doctors saved my husbands life and he is doing much better. Originally at a 3b ckd status he is now at a high 1. Not kidding. I realize that his kidneys are permanently damaged to an extent but his situation would have been a lot worse if we didn't go there. Not to say your doctor is wrong but just to get a second opinion immediately to ensure. Best wishes

• Posted

Thank you. I agree about second opinions. Due to a bladder problem I burned my kidneys out from hydronephrosis several years ago. In November I lost a kidney to cancer so I'm left with one that doesn't work so well. I have a great team of 4 doctors and all are agreed that I'll need dialysis at some point. I'm just trying to put it off as long as possible. Thank you for your input and encouragement.

• Posted

That is good you trust your doctors. Very important. With dialysis I know the composition I feel the fluid is

sodium 140.0

potassium 1.0

calcium 1.25

bicarbonate 34.0

magnesium 0.5

chloride 107.5

glucose 5.5

Dialysis is time consuming but fluids are not bad compositions. Pretty standard stuff. The machine rotating the fluids acts like a cleaner. I think if it as a car wash fir kidneys. I have heard people feel great afterwards but I guess the thing is how long can your kidney be cleansed this way. Have you been put on a transplant list? I would try to get your name on it. There is a high demand. I had mine tested in the event hubby needed one but if I match someone else out there I'm good to donate. Body works great with one. I wish you all the best. Organ donations are so important. Getting your name on it for those that are healthy is important in saving lives and helping others live full pain free and dialysis free lives. Again I wish you all the best. Who knows. Our paths may cross in the future. God Blesd

• Posted

Sorry to hear this. I have good information to provide to you . just send me a privation message so i can help you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.