Wondering about possible electrolyte imbalance

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi.  I posted a version of this to the atrial fibrillation forum. I have PAF (paroxysmal atrial fibrilation) ... and am on flecainide (50mg), verapamil (180) and 325mg aspirin.  I'm also on 5 mg of Crestor. I had the worst summer ever.  I developed hyponatremia.!!  (Low sodium).  I don't usually add salt to anything I eat, and now I find myself eating potato chips, deli sandwiches and lots of V8 type juice.  I'm wondering if my electrolytes are all wonky and if anyone else with afib has had electrolyte problems.   Before I had to start taking meds I used to be very very athletic and never had heat stroke or anything like that.  Heat was never a problem.  Now it is.  I did find 2 instances in the medical literature about flecainide and hyponatremia but my GP who is really caring and thorough doesn't think that this is the cause.  I actually developed hyponatremia for 4 days and had projectile vomiting.  I felt like the water I was drinking was just not getting into my cells.   Anyways: I'm really worried about my "Deli therapy". It seems to work (my doc smiled and agreed) but I'm worried about to much salt in my diet raising my normally low BP.  So.  I'm asking you all. I'm in Canada, in Victoria BC

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi, did you find out what was wrong? I might have some strange electrolyte issues too. Especially if I eat foods with more potassium. I get extremely thirsty and it feels like no matter how much I drink, it just doesn't do it.
    • Posted

I'm stil not sure I did.  I think it was hyponatremia.  But it might have been a combination of things: heat exhaustion, gastritis, and electrolyte imbalance.  I think I might have irritated my stomach eating too much raw garlic, and affected liquid absorption.  Anyways:  I'm on the lookout for next summer... in terms of being conscious about heat: wear a hat, up salt intake, drink fluids, ...  I'll let you know next summer!!!  You stay well!
    • Posted

Thanks. I do feel like it stays better in me the more salt I add to the water. But I have a whole host of other issues with might lead to this state. I should also stay away from things that irritate the stomach, as I too have issues with that. I did drink a bunch of orange juice and eat a lot of garlic and ginger. I'll try to back off of those and see how it goes.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.