Wondering if anyone also had this hypertension problem

Posted , 4 users are following.

I go to the dentist for a cleaning every 6 months.  Every time I went in the past 3 years, my blood pressure would be taken and would be a little higher.  I am just into my 70s and this is supposed to be the age where we can start having problems.  When it got over 140, I started taking grape seed extract (400mg capsule) 3 times a day and that worked to brig it down.  I discovered later that something was causing the high blood pressure however.  I used to drink one 8 oz cup of coffee with some milk in the morning.  I have a big sweet tooth, so I had been adding 5 packets of Sweet and Low to the sugar to help sweeten the coffee.  For some reason, I decided to stop using the Sweet and Low.  My pressure returned to normal from then on.  Haven't had any problems since.  If you are using Sweet and Low, you might eliminate it and see if that is at least part of your problem.  I would suspect other artificial sweeteners also.

1 like, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Why did they take your BP at the dentists?
    • Posted

It is standard procedure at most dentist in the states.  If it is too high, they won't service you.  I don't know if this is because of law or insurance practice.

• Posted

I was booked for an endoscopy and one of the doctors at the GP practice  said they would not do it if my BP was over a certain number. I was concerned as my white coat hypertension starts as soon as I walk into any medical establishment,

I phoned the hospital and spoke to the doctor would was to do it, He said I won't care what your BP is I'll just do it.

I told him that I was also concerned as my uncle had gone into cardiac arrest and died during an endoscopy and to cancel my one. I then spoke to my own GP  and he said one his partners at the practice had also gone into cardiac arrest and died during one and  that he would never have one. Several other doctors have told me the same as did the radiologist who did my last barium X-Ray. So 20 years later I have still not had one.

• Posted

Hi there

is it the endoscopy that caused it or the HBP the anesthesia meds? If so, which ones?

i am scheduled for a colonoscopy in two months. 👀

• Posted

You mean the cardiac arrest? I don't know. .My colonoscopy story:

They are doing  the colonoscopy and I am slightly sedated but feel ok watching it on the screen. On the other screen I see my BP dropping to 40/29 and heart rate 30. I think are they going to do something about this? They suddenly panic!. 

Discharge notes say: 

“Gellofusion was administered and .1ml of atropine given.  Anaesthetist was called who then administered 1L of Hartman’s solution, an extra 3 mls of atropine and 20 mg of Boscopon . 

Patient much improved and monitored in his room for rest of day” In an NHS hospital I would be on a trolley in the corridor.  Heart rate went up in the room  and by mid-afternoon after being on a drip and having tea and toast and lots of water my BP was 123/67 which made them happy. Their reasons for the big drop, dehydration after yesterday’s laxative ( was drinking a glass of water every hour and had two cans of Baxter’s consommé and large amounts of jelly. Or the sedative or that the probe stimulated nerves in my colon during the procedure. I certainly did not feel that pleasure! 

Mr R. who did it said that there is nothing suspicious in my colon apart from diverticular pockets in one area that have worsened over the last 30 years plus piles. He would see me on the Tuesday on what to do next. Either he or the Anaesthetist will write to my GP about it as they said that something must be done about my BP. No one has listened since 2000 I told them..  I gave them a real scare. There were about a dozen of them administering to me. I had read that no patient had died during a colonoscopy since 2000 and did not want to start a trend.

Next day I felt OK and went out but when walking up a slight slope I suddenly felt my heart increase and become erratic and I knew I was back in AF. .I had another cardioversion about three months later and was back in NSR for over a year until a urology nurse did a DRE (digital rectal examination) that also stimulated my vagus nerve and put me back in AF.

• Posted

Amazing story and you lived to tell it!

I am afraid to have the colonoscopy/ endo now because of the cardiac arrest possibility and if your doctor refused endoscopy maybe I should be worried too. My last endoscopy/ colonoscopy was in 2013. I think he really only wants this last colonoscopy  to make sure the polyp I had at age 50 stays  gone. I had two more clean ones Age 55 and 60 with an endoscopy thrown in that time due to some stomach problems. The endo was clean too.

i wonder if your doctor who said he would never have an endoscopy also meant he would not have a colonoscopy?

i don't blame you for never having another endoscopy or colonoscopy.

• Posted

My wife has had three endoscopies without any trouble. .

I had wanted to have a virtual colonoscopy done privately by CT scanner but my doctor wanted to save me money by having a normal one done by the NHS and it of course can take samples and remove polyps.

A worse story. Our daughter had a polyp that protruded from her bottom when she was 6 years old. It popped back in again and when they went to remove it they said it must have detached itself and she was never followed up. When she was 21 she developed colon cancer and by the time it was diagnosed it had spread to her liver and she died five months later. If you have a family history or predisposition to polyps you need frequent follow ups. Our family has a history of colon cancer on both female sided of the family that was never taken into account at that time.

• Posted

This is a tragic tale and shows the importance of colonoscopy. 
    • Posted

I think at that time they did not understand polyps as they do now.
    • Posted

Also the problem was that 'girls of that age do not get colon cancer' She was actually one of two in the 16 to 23 age group[ in1963. The other was nurse in a Nottingham  hospital.

• Posted

There’s a lot of evidence to suggest that sugar is worse than salt for causing high blood pressure in individuals. That’s good you have managed to get your Bp down again. 👌😁

• Posted

Haven't heard that about sugar.  I am actually using a bit more sugar now to supplement the Sweet and Low without any problems.

• Posted

I stopped sugar and salt in 1983 and stopped smoking in 1993. Suddenly in 2000 I was found to have BP of 210/110. 
    • Posted

I take it your American, because of what you were saying about the dentist situation, Have you heard of Dr. Mercola? he’s well known in America. His findings have proven sugar to be worse than salt for High BP, I don’t like salt, but do have a sweet tooth, I was amazed when I read this, as I do consume too much sugar and I have high Bp. You should look him up on the internet, you can receive daily e-mails from him, some very interesting information about illnesses etc. 👌😁

• Posted

I suddenly got HBP in Oct 2017 at age 64. I am not overweight and have no vices.

what is your BP now and what are you on?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.