wondering if I may have rheumatoid arthritis

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello,

Just been doing some research and came across this website. I have been having ongoing bilateral elbow pain for a few months now. Originally I thought it was how I was sleeping, so I lie on my back and tried sleeping with elbows bent and elbows straight and all different angles but it doesn't seem to matter how I have my arms. I have also had ongoing shoulder pain (both sides) for a while. In the mornings the pain is at it's worst. Feels like an ache on the inside of my elbows and hurts particularly if I attempt to straighten my arms. The last couple days I have felt generally unwell and it seems that all the joints in my body are aching - just like how I would feel with having the flu, however I have no blocked/runny nose/ sore sinuses/respiratory symptoms. I have also joined up the gym over the last month and from lifting weights my shoulders hurt and seem to jolt when I try to move them upwards, there is no smooth movement. I also find that my Right arm is worse than my left. I also have tingling and numbness down into my right hand. I feel super tired and just generally off, to the point where I haven't wanted to go to the gym yesterday or today. I am due to go to my dr but thought I would try get some info from those of you with elbow and shoulder arthritis. would you describe the pain as an ache ?or how would you describe it? do you have any numbness/ tingling?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

hi Joanne.the obvious thing to ask is how old you are and how quickly have you got into weights.maybe all it needs is fitness programme from your doc.if it was me I'd go docs and see.

the tingling you describe could be trapped nerve.but. doesn't doest explain flu like symptoms.how long you got flu?are your eating habits changed since weights?are you taking vitamin supplements?tiredness could be because of sleep alteration.them are things he/she will look at.

maybe you need slow down on them.at any rate see your doc.no use working bout something that hasn't happened yet.hope it helps.take care.

• Posted

Hey Ivan,

I am 34 years old. I am not into weights per se, I have started fitness classes about 1 month ago, HIIT functional training. Due to achey elbows and shoulders I have been doing things on the lower scale of weight and not pushing myself as hard as I otherwise would be without the sore elbows and shoulders. I feel fluey on and off.... but this week it has been 3 days so far. eating habbits haven't changed and yes I have been taking vitamin supplements, plus magnesium. I haven't changed sleeping habbits. I do shift work but nothing has changed, if anything I am getting more sleep at work than I did last year as I am working in a quieter place. I'll head on to see the dr and see what he says. thanks for your reply!

• Posted

oops.that should've said worrying.not working.sorry.have to get new phone.all the best.ivan.

• Posted

I had those exact symtoms. I could not open jars or doors without wincing in pain. I was taking ibuprophen just to be able to shower and get dressed. Your best bet is to insist to your doctor that your pain is severe and needs further testing. I don't think it's from working out or the flu. My symtoms felt like I'd run a marathon everyday all day and I don't even run. Sore, really sore muscles is how I felt, still feel even now but on a lower level. The doctor is still working on a combination of meds that would work for me and it's been 7 months since diagnosis.

Hope my sharing helps you. All the best.

• Posted

You describe your condition in almost exactly the same words I have used. Yes, your body feels like it has the flu without the respiratory symptoms. And joints can feel jolted.....my feet feel jolted if I do certain yoga exercises. The morning stiffness is one of the hallmarks of RA and the stiffness can diminish after you have been up for a while. Being tired (malaise) is another hallmark of RA.  Tell (not ask) your doctor that you need to see a rheumatologist.  I am not a doctor, but what you tell me rings a bell. Better to find out one way or the other. Couldn't hurt, may help.  Best of luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.