Wondering... if it's low acid (hypochlorydria), would alkaline foods actually worsen it?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all. I spend a great many hours each and every day trying to figure out this extremely confusing and incomprehensible illness. It's driving me mad, really. (I'm sure you can relate!!) Something I'm wondering: A low acid diet is highly recommended for GERD and it really helps a lot of people. I am starting a low acid diet, although the fruit situation is hard to figure out. However, is a low acid diet helpful for people who actually don't have enough stomach acid, or would depriving it of acid in the diet only make it more severe? 

I'm confused about pH, and haven't had a test for it yet. But I gather that low pH is highly acidic, and GERD is generally presumed to be caused by too much acid, in other words, a low pH level in the stomach? So if the theory about low stomach acid, rather than high, is true, these people have a pH level that is too high? And so foods that are high in pH (alkaline), could theoretically make it even worse? Do you actually NEED acidic foods when your stomach isn't producing enough acid?

Is anything alkaline bad for people who have low stomach acid? Is baking soda and other "antacids" and neutralisers actually a bad thing? Could diet be an experiment in whether you have excess acid or not enough? So, for example, could you try orange juice to see if you're too alkaline and not producing enough, and try banana and melon for a few days with no other fruits or acid foods to see if you're too acidic and excessive? Or does this theory not work in practice?

Hmmm. Thanks all for your views :D Apologies if this only confuses people even more! We are all dealing with a disease that we have to figure out ourselves aren't we, it's exhausting! 

1 like, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I can't be bothered trying to figure it out, life is too short. I know what PPI doses work for me and which foods to avoid so I usually lead a normal life without making going out really difficult because I am worrying about the foods that I eat. I stay away from orange juice and very spicy foods

• Posted

have you tried the baking soda test, im still waiting on my 24hour acid/ph test results, after reading about the low acid theory i tried it and for the 3 days it was more than 5 minutes before i burped, 5.16, being the least time, i was on omeprazole for years and years, mwas fine for a few monthes after being took of them, then i suffered severe heartburn pain in my upper back, back on double the dose of the meds and although better still not sympton free like when i was on 1 tablet daily, my blood test showed no concern for lack of bone density or lack of vitamins/minerals, apart from zinc, my gym freind said i will have good bone density because im allways on my feet running round due to my two jobs, i also take multivitamins  and extra zinc with vitamin c

• Posted

meant to add i ate almost anything except citrus and really spicey and fried foods, now even plain chicken can cause me to have more burning sensation

• Posted

I would be really interested to hear people's views on this too as surely what we eat would be quite different for too much acid or too little? I've been on omeprazol for years but it's not great and my symptoms have got out of control lately. I'm going to try the baking powder test but does this mean if you don't burp for over 5 mins that you definitely have low acid? Surely then we shouldn't take ppi!s?? 

• Posted

omeprazol doesnt work for everyone. I am on Lanzoprozole and sometimes I have to up the dose and then reduce it again. My GP also suggested taking Gaviscon in the evening which helps if I have a flare up.  Often I don't know what causes a flare up as there doesn't always seem to be a reason. I know from 2 PH tests I have that I generate a lot of acid. What was interesting was the last test was done with me on the PPI and that showed my acid levels to be normal which confirmed the PPI was doing its job and I was on the correct dose

• Posted

That is interesting, it's cases like yours that make me wonder if the low acid theory being the "more common cause of reflux" is true. Maybe it's 50/50? Half have too much, half have too little? It's an incredibly complicated illness. What was the pH test, was it manometry or something else? 

• Posted

Hi Pixie

This is something that I've been reading about also. I've been told many times by naturopathic consultants and read many articles that many people are actually low in acid who are on ppis than having too much acid. I don't know it this tends to be true or not, if so then that would explain why when you stop taking it then you tend to get worse sometimes or acid rebound. I asked my pharmacist how do I wean off. He told me that there is no such thing as weaning off, you can't just take it and stop. That it is long term.

Western doctors and natural health experts tend to have different views on this. I went to a health store and he had an article posted about ppis, it actually scared me . He said it upset him alot to see how dr.s so freely give out this medicine all the time. I guess I'm like you , I love to research everything.?Anyway, knowledge has much power.

• Posted

Mary, I truly believe that. But my question is..what do we do? What can we take? We van keep going with this..it can cause esophagealcancer..I too took ppi for month, then stopped cuz of fear of side effects, but have taken again for last few days cuz now I am getting horrid burning pain, never had b4. ENT said I had silent acid reflux. Well honey it ain't silent anymore..; ( just dnt know wht to do..:÷

• Posted

Are the possible side effects worse than getting cancer, No. 

been taking ppi for 10 years and I am pretty much symptom free and lead an ordinary life.

i read so many posts here with people suffering because they won't take a PPI why? If you worry about what might happen to you then don't go in a car, they kill and injure people every day, think about that one. 

• Posted

You may be experiencing a result of stopping the ppi ,"acid rebound" I experience that also. I told the pharmacist that I'm worst off than I was before using it.

As for me, I'm taking this product called acid reflux it's all herbal, slippery elm, dgl licorice, and watch my diet. Prayer!

I was seeing a chiropractor , never had any symptons at all until i stopped seeing him.

I believe mine is more hormonal than anything, the problem arise right during perimenopause time.

Also if you YouTube you will find other things such as yoga, etc. That may assist also.

• Posted

There is a lot of contradictory information out there on PPIs... I say, if it helps, absolutely take it. But it's really starting to dawn on me how important it is to get tests done to find out the pH levels, and how much acid is really down there. Otherwise we're all just running around like chickens, trying to guess! I "failed" PPIs. I was on Omeprazole first, no help; then Lanzoprozole, no help; finally Ranitidine, no help. I actually suspected that I felt even worse on the PPIs. When I was given Lanzoprazole a second time, I dreaded it, knowing that it had possibly made me worse the previous time. Or maybe it didn't make me worse, maybe it just didn't touch it. I felt zero improvement on any of them, so I'm a PPI and H2 "failure!" Which is why I'm curious about the low acid theory. These meds won't help if the cause is not enough... 

• Posted

I feel your frustration terrie, I'm at my wit's end as well, it can feel incredibly lonely dealing with this can't it? Like we're left to figure this all out on our own. Have you had a pH test? I think maybe these tests are important to find out what's going on. Some say that PPIs make it worse in the long run, IF the problem is low acid, not excess. I don't know about anybody else, but I feel like marching into the hospital, having a rant and demanding a bed so that all the tests can be done! And while I'm there, they can feed me whatever they want, so I don't have to umm and ahh about food every day! 

• Posted

Thank you for info. I will look for that in health food store..I would so much rather go with natural remedy. I just read so many negative things about ppi's. I have NEVER been one to take many meds, and sure hate having to now. Been doing vinegar in water. Seems to help..I know some swear by medications..good, I dont..smile And yes, lots of prayer as well. Truly believe..smile

• Posted

So true. I agree with you. No haven't even heard of a pH test. Would I get that done at my ENT office?

• Posted

If you take 1/2 tsp baking soda in half cup water, drink and if you burp right away, too much acid in system, if burp a few minutes later, or not at all low acid..
    • Posted

I tried this test a few weeks ago, but I only did it one morning. Maybe I should try again and do it for three or four mornings in a row. I didn't burp at all, only one of the tiny, pitiful half-burps that I do throughout the day. Hmm. 

• Posted

Thats what happened to me to. Tiny burp. Think I will retry as well..
    • Posted

I need to do this test too but worried it will flare up the acid? That's if I can drink it wink

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.