Wondering if meds given me OCD?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Been on cit for 5 weeks for intrusive thoughts due to zopiclone withdrawal after stopping 12 months ago. Have noticed since starting meds have recently developed OCD symptoms keep check ing things that I never had previously. Have messed around bit started on cit for couple months affected hair, so swapped to sertraline that was awful, back on cit last 5 weeks. As zopiclone is powerful drug can take 18-24 months to recover wondering if I should have left well alone. The thoughts were horrible but could get out more 6 months ago terrified they might be making things worse as previousl was just thoughts not a behavioural thing never had this before stopping zopiclone?

0 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Next
  • Posted

sorry asked this before bit was you on it 12 years straight cant believe it is causing so much withdrawal x

• Posted

Yep can take up to 2 years to recover from withdrawal with a myriad of symptoms. I never had any of the OCD symptoms before starting the citalopram so wondering if they have triggered something else. Zopiclone withdrawal affects about 50% of people coming off them. There is a site called benzo buddies full of people suffering with benzo and z drug withdrawal . It' s def the zopiclone as lived a normal full life before stopping them.

• Posted

Did you ever try starting the zopiclone again?

• Posted

dID think about it but couldn't do proper taper as only got 1 packet left andn doctor won't give me any more and thought another withdrawal is awful. Am thinking maybe tapering off cit as def felt worse since starting AD been 5 months know I've swapped meds but seem be giving me more symptoms.

• Posted

I’m really curious to see how you would feel if you took a small dose of zopiclone. But I get why you wouldn’t want to risk it. It’s sad to hear you’re still going through this tho with no relief.

• Posted

Just really worried about getting addicted to it again, did get real craving for it on nights i tried not to take it. Doctor on radio said it's more difficult than heroin to get off. Just think unfirtunately AD haven't helped, only swapped to sertraline after being on cit for couple months so don't really think would give you withdrawal after so short time. At least i tried the AD anyway .Going back on zop on really option as most doctors here now won't give it to you long term.

• Posted

Typo meant going back on zop NOT really an option.

• Posted

if you read this forum from years back someone who actually got off heroin said cit was worse, im sure he would know.

• Posted

hold with the cit you habe done so many changes you could be wosse

• Posted

totally agree, she will have start up and withdrawal but hey what do i know!

• Posted

Only had 1 change of meds it seems they help when people have pre exiting conditions but not when symptoms caused by withdrawal. Was advised by helpline run by people who have been through it wouldnt help unfortunately seems they were correct.

• Posted

yes they sre as i swapped and am suffering withdrawal from citalopram and nothing will stop ig just time

• Posted

Bit confused as to why you think i should stay on cit then if they won't help? Logic tells me the longer Istay on them harder will be to come off? as havent been on that long hoping if i taper off wont be too bad!

• Posted

because you have swapped 3 times no matter how long on them you will get worse withdrawals you need to give it time you were on cit then sert now cit rwo different drugs

that is my advice i know how horrendeous withdrwals are i have and am having them

what do you mean craving for zop?

• Posted

agree, any change in dose no matter how small can cause brutal symptoms, some poor bloke i chat to on here did lots of changes and he is now basically bedbound with constant pain and burning body, these are very powerful drugs! my withdrawal is horrendous x

• Posted

Unlike AD the zopiclone is addictive and is worse the longer you are on it so if you don't take it you get an intense need to take one in order to sleep ie a craving??? Bit like heroin addiction. You have said they won't help withdrawal so seems illogical to continue taking something that is making me feel worse. I do think how long you have been on something makes a big difference some people on zopiclone short term have no problems and I haven't been on AD that long. Think we have to agree to disagree on it but no point arguing.

• Posted

just expect the unexpected lemanna .with a clear mind .what is good for the goose may not always be good for the gander.

• Posted

i am not arguing i am giving you my opinion i think you will suffer but it is up to you what you do i have had horrendeous withdrwals of citalopram

• Posted

Going to scream if anyone else tells me how horrendous cit withdrawal be and be bedbound according to toria. Still maintain longer you are on them worse will be after all you came off zop after year no problems. Just think after 5 months shouldn't be feeling lot worse. Also withdrawal different for everyone can'T believe some don't know what a craving is !!!!!!!

• Posted

Sorry realise it did sound a bit rude but everyone is different and doesn't mean because one person had a bad withdrawal from citalopram everyone else is the same. My zopiclone withdrawal was awful but others stop no problems, you can't generalise with this. I am discussing stopping citalopram !

• Posted

im just worried as are others that you have changed doses a few times and that will be playing with your brain, my aim isnt to upset anyone, i only want to try and help, and speak from my experience, im not anti these drugs for everyone as they help lots, just not me! hope whatever you decide i hope it helps you!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.