Wondering if this will ever be resolved!

Posted , 3 users are following.

I posted some months ago about a pain I was having in the lower left pelvis. It is not intense but persistent. Very few other symptoms but it did start when I had a very loose bm and flatulance on and off for a week eight months ago. I went to my GP after six weeks and she referred me for abdominal and pelvic ultrasounds. The pelvic ultrasound showed nothing and the abdominal one showed a kidney stone on the left kidney and gall stones. As the symptom did not go away, the GP referred me to Gastroentreology and to a Rapid Access Diagnostic clinic. (I have a history of lymphoma so the referral was a two week urgent one.) 

The gastroenterologist wondered why I was there, I was not exhibiting symptoms of bowel cancer and he took me off the two week urgent care but referred me for a sigmoidoscopy

Meanwhile, the RADC was more concerned, sent me for CT scan and because of some concerns with my pancreas and spine, for MRI and PET scan. Those were fine as far as the lower left pelvis but showed multiple kidney stones bilaterally and a fracture of the spine, the latter being confirmed by a bone scan. So I have to have treatment for osteopenia. 

The sigmoidoscopy came weeks weeks later and, because the prep was poor, could not advance far enough to the area that hurts but the doctor has diagnosed diverticular disease. There is a possibility I will be referred for a colonoscopy or CT enema. 

Sorry this is so long! Since the sigmoidoscopy the pain is worse. It is not excruciating or cramping...just there most of the  time I am awake  and not really helped by pain killers which make me feel sick anyway! It is making me feel quite unwell. A couple of times, I felt as if I had a fever but when I took my temperature, it was normal. 

Just wondering if if anyone has similar symptoms please. I need company! I don’t get diarrhoea or constipation, just this uncomfortable pain on the left and sometimes a low central ache in the pelvis. 

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Since I had my colonoscopy I have had pain in lower left side plus under my rib on the left side . How did they diagnose DD without a colonoscopy or a sigmoidoscopy?   I would ask your DR for a sigmoidoscopy or a colonoscopy to make sure it is DD   I get constipation and diarrhoea I don't eat tomatoes red meat seeds skins raw veg sweet corn I take mabevarine and fybergel and paracetamol every day. Good luck hope you feel better soon 

• Posted

Thanks for the response. He was able to get to the proximal sigmoid so I guess he got far enough to see some diverticula plus it has shown up on previous scans. I wish paracetamol did not make me feel ill! 
    • Posted

When I have an attack of diverticulitis, the pain and nausea is so bad I cannot keep anything down, so tablets are out of the question.  After my last attack , in the ambulance on the way to the hospital, they gave me paracetamol intravenously.

• Posted

I think that you need the colonoscopy Alison, in order to have a look at the whole colon.  Bowel disease affects people in many different ways, even if they are suffering from the same condition, the symptoms may not be the same. x

• Posted

True, Lynn. I hope the team decides I should have one. I will give it a week or two more and then follow up of I have not heard from them. In the meantime, if I get a fever and the pain continues, I will contact my GP. Thank you! 
  • Posted

I read a post on here about someone that drank a small amount of kosher dill pickle juice each day for the kind of pain you describe. I will definitely try it if I have another D attack. Something about the vinegar killing bacteria. Do a search for the post.
    • Posted

I found it. Some very interesting posts and no harm in trying it. It seems you only need a small amount. Thank you! 
    • Posted

Been reading up a bit and it seems that Apple Cider Vinegar may have a similar effect. 
    • Posted

Tried this, it didn't work for me but I did not persevere with it. x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.