Wondering is it Fibro??

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi. I said I would post on here because I've read several posts that I've found helpful and I really need some advice. About 2 years ago I started feeling pains in my body . I put off going to the doctor for ages but had to give in then. Since then, it's been countless blood tests ,xrays and scans . But still no answer. The doctor has told me it might be fibromyalgia but does not want to confirm this as he said I'm too young to diagnose with this. After researching it though , it seems like anyone can get it at any age.

I really wanted to just talk about my symptoms and get people opinions because the not knowing is driving me insane.

So the pains are literally all over my body. Some days they can be a full ache and other days they can be a stabbing pain. I find it's worse on my neck , shoulders , upper back ,at the top of my rib cage around my chest and on both sides of my abdomen . But there are days when even my toes hurt! Another issue I have is gurgling in my abdomen. Sounds random, I know, but it's forever making noise.

I'm writing this now because the pains for the last month have become unbearable. I never missed work but I've been out the last week because I'm honestly finding it hard to function. Just in the last month, I've started also getting headaches aswell which I never had before. And my jaw is so sore.

The doctor has me on Lyrica ,tramadol and also sleeping tablets. I'm getting to the stage where I don't even want to get out of bed because it's getting me so down. I've found these threads so useful to read and I'm hoping someone can give me some advice.

Do you think it sounds like fibromyalgia or am I just losing my mind ?

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi Holly, 

you poor thing, sounds exactly like it. It has taken 2 years to be diagnosed, I was never offered any meds so I found natural products really beneficial.

i take pomegranate concentrate (Holland and Barret) and also Turmeric, you can buy in capsules which is easier to take. You should notice a difference in a week.  GP's aren't very sympathetic or even understand how debilitating this can be so it really can be a case of help yourself. As for the strange stomach gurgling, I too have this and can be a prelude to IBS, associated with fibromyalgia, take action now to control it. Leave out anything with gluten, as much sugar as possible and basically take a note of foods that increase the action and try and avoid. Tai chi is a good gentle exercise to get things moving.

sorry this is a list of 'don't haves' but it's a question of quality of life, you will find ways to improve the situation but it's going to be a case of helping yourself. Take care 

• Posted

Hi thanks so much for replying. I feel like my doctor is so quick to prescribe me painkillers and anti depressants just to get me out of his office and I really don't like taking them with no diagnosis. I'm definitely going to get to holland and barrett this weekend and pick up some of those tablets . I'm willing to try all the healthy alternatives I can. I've been thinking of starting yoga because I heard it helps but will look into Two Chi now. I'll let you know how it goes. Thank you again 🙂x

• Posted

Molly I'm sure you're not losing your mind my lovely.

Have you got another doctor you can discuss your diagnosis with?

It's frustrating I know and all the time your symptoms remain and you are having to find ways to cope. It's not easy but not impossible either. Having a clear diagnosis would probably help.

Good luck with everything!

😊

• Posted

Hi Karen . I unfortunately live in a small town in Ireland where it's next to impossible to get an appointment with someone who isn't your family GP. I've seen 2 different doctors when my original doctor sent me for follow ups in a hospital for scans. One of them said it was stress. But apart from the every day stress that everyone has , there's is nothing specifically stressing me out the last 2 years . The 2nd doctor has referred me to Rheumatologist but the appointment they gave is not until October 😥that's the joy of our wonderful heatlth care system. As you said , it's not having a diagnosis that is so frustrating. Feel like I'm banging my head against a wall !!

Xx

• Posted

Sorry Molly,  I must have posted my reply, just as you were saying that you had been referred to a Rheumy. 

• Posted

Hello again Molly

October seems like a long wait but it's like it everywhere I think if you have no private healthcare cover.

Perhaps you could keep a diary of your symptoms in preparation for the appointment. Having something in writing may help.

Keep in touch 😊

• Posted

Hello Molly,

you don't say how old you are, but Fibromyalgia has no respect for age at all.

The way you describe how you feel, does sound like Fibro and I think it would be really beneficial to ask your GP to refer you to a Rheumatologist who is qualified in this kind of problem.  It took mine a while to diagnose after blood tests, Xrays, scans etc.  It could well be something else causing your pains and the Rheumy will do the necessary tests to rule out other problems.   Good luck, keep us posted. x

• Posted

Hi Molly I have had fibro for over 12 yrs and sometimes are worse than others like you I have been give a lot of medication over the years but have found I'm better without I find yoga very therapeutic and also massage watching your diet cut down on caffeine and alcohol if you drink peace and love Annaxx

• Posted

Hi Molly, thankfully you are not alone. Like you I got prescribed several different things, it took me 4 years of meds, xrays, ultrasound,injections, blood tests and me paying to see a chiropractor, before so many weeks after with a physio before I got diagnosed. Like many have said it's a mixture of lifestyle and self help I guess. I am on meds as it seems I need it. The anti depressants I have been prescribed help me sleep. Try pilates as well as yoga, I've had acupuncture and try and have massages as often as I possibly can afford to. I too have ibs, and everything flairs up when I'm stressed. Hopefully you will find what works for you, sadly with this condition there isn't a quick fix or at least I don't think it is. Hope you feel better soon

• Posted

Dear Molly

I'm really sorry to have to say that this is so much what my partner describes she is feeling many days and she does have FM

Best wishes. Richard

• Posted

Sure sounds like fibro to me too.  Try some epsom salts baths. I tried to cut out gluten, caffeine, dairy and sugar all at once for 21 days (got headaches at first, but persevered )Then after 21 days introduce one of these back into your diet to see your reaction.  If okay then try the next etc.  It is not easy but one can do it for 3 weeks if one must.  At least then you might know which one may be bothering you.  They did the trigger point test on me.  You can look it up on-line and get a friend or someone to test you at home.

Wishing you all the best.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.