Word Catheter!!

Posted , 6 users are following.

I've had a word catheter put in and it's the first time I have. Last time they drained my cyst they just put ribbon gauze in. This time it hurts so bad, usually laying bed is a relief but I woke up today and it was stinging really bad and throbbing. Yesterday I had to go to the store because my husband isn't here to help me and my dog needed food so maybe I over worked it? Any advice is greatly appreciated, thank you very very much!

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I've never let them put one in for multiple reasons. But yes I believe you did irritate it. You and it also could mean the cyst is already fully drained and ready to come out already. Do you see anymore drainage?

• Posted

When I go pee I try to make sure I wipe everything and I do still wipe some drainage up, not alot though. Also they didn't prescribe me antibiotics to help fight the infection, should I have been prescribed some?

• Posted

I got antibiotics. However I've also heard you don't always need it. Just keep it clean. Very very clean. Don't squeeze it at all, but you can gently press to try and ease out any of the excess yuckiness out.

The drainage stops eventually too smile at two weeks, I don't have anymore.

• Posted

Hey! I've had my word catheter in for two weeks. Today was my follow up appointment.

This is my second one. The first one I got a like 2 months ago, and it fell out after 5 hours. The cyst came back and this time it's staying in. Thankfully.

But yeah it hurt like hell the first week. Hurt to pee. I cried when I had to pee, it sucked so f'ing bad. I cleaned an old shampoo bottle with some hot water and soap, and filled it with warm water to rinse myself after peeing...it helped keep the area clean. I've never gotten an infection after a cyst was drained and I think that's why tbh. It hurt a little when the water hit the incision, but overall I think it helped a lot.

Wearing a pad/guaze in the undies for the first week is essential. Not moving for a few days is also essential. Ibuprofen helps a lot. I didn't do anything at all for the first week....no work. No walks. Mostly just stayed in bed and got out to make myself some food and shower. The cyst itself didn't hurt at all, it was the incision and the catheter rubbing it the wrong way. That goes away eventually.

At two weeks, I can finally walk without the catheter bothering me....however if I walk around too much I do get sore. No white hot pain like the first few days, but like...a dull soreness. It's not too bad. I also reccommend tucking the end of the catheter inside rather than letting it hang there. Once mine stopped being so tender, I tucked it inside myself and now I can't even really tell it's there unless I sit/shift wrong.

The doc said mine was healing up well. Its still irritating in general cause no sex, and getting your period while having one BLOWS. But its much more tolerable now than it was during the first week.

Good luck. If you have any specific questions feel free to ask. These stupid catheters are annoying and painful at first but, the pain subsided for me and I hope it does for you too smile best wishes.

• Posted

This started two month ago with a small pea sized lump, PAIN FREE.  after two month after sex I noticed the growth is the pea sized lump was now a walnut and very tender to touch!   I went to the Er The physician was wonderful.  HE  did the procedure without any complications!    My word catheter fell out today, I noticed the area was smaller two days ago. The drainage is minimum to none! I rinse myself off after I use the bathroom and take sits bathTWICE A DAY AND  after each bowel movement!  The pain is gone but I HAVE AN ANNOYING ITCHING!  I completeD the Bactrium antibiotic as prescrib  two weeks ago!  IM going crazy with this!  I have no insurance and I neeed to know if I need another tube replaced or what to do!  

I KNOW THERE IS AN OPENING AND IM NOT SURE IT IS SUPPOSE TO STAY OPEN OR  WHAT TO DO! 

• Posted

Hi yes I have a question. I have had the word catheter for 2 days now and the area all around is very swollen and kinda hard. Is that normal during healing or can it be the infection not draining or something?? 
    • Posted

Me too! I was asking the SAME EXACT THING. I had a cath put in today. 2/7/18. It’s STILL swollen & there’s STILL a hard bump in there & I don’t think it’s draining.  I thought it was gonna go flat after they drained it. I have a follow up in 2 days & im gonna ask about that. I’m reading from other people that the cath might be put in wrong & u shouldn’t have pain from it. But it does hurt. 

• Posted

And no one on here will answer our question they just start talking about their experience. As soon as I find out from the Doc I will let u know.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.