Word Catheter and excruciating pain

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello all,

I just had a Word Catheter put in last evening following a bartholin cyst and I was wondering if it's normal that it hurts like hell at the beginning. I suspect it might be the incision, at first i was bleeding quite a lot from it, now the bleeding has stopped but the pain.... oh gosh the pain! My gynecologist was doing this for the first time so I'm freaking out a bit that she might have done it wrong. Right now I have a lingering burning sensation and as soon as I sit up it hurts. I can stand without too much pain but I can't put any underwear, it's way too excruciating. Does this seem normal to you?

Thank you for sharing your experiences!

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

So sorry laure that you have to go thru this. I swear some of the things we go thru in life just tells us how strong women really are. I know how painful catheters are. Had have one for a couple of weeks. However the excruciating pain you describe is a concern . Infection could be why so much pain antibiotics are needed . Plz call the doc or small clinic ,nurse for a follow up on treatment for the pain could be from the surgery and pain meds may help ! 

• Posted

Hi, thank you so much for your quick response, it feels so nice to know that other people are here to help <3

The pain has now changed a bit, it feels more like it's just the wound healing. There is always mild pain in the background and I can walk around the apartment just fine (yesterday was my first day with the catheter in and I was able to cook, do the laundry, do the dishes, but I spent most of the day in bed). Today, I notice that the lump where the cyst was has decreased in size, though it's still there of course (the lump) because of the balloon. So I'm hopeful that there are no infection (it's complicated for me to go to the gynecologist as that means going to the emergency of a big city hospital and waiting for hours which I really don't fancy right now). The pain is very localized, and very sharp, it's mostly hurting when I move my legs in certain positions or if I move the catheter or pull on the skin. Does it make sense that the pain is due to the wounds healing and re-opening when I move? I've had pretty severe cuts in the past and it felt a bit like that...

• Posted

Hopefully it’s settling down a bit for you, I know it’s easier said than done but by looking at what you did yesterday, it sounds like you might Be overdoing things.i think as long as it carries on feeling better and you don’t have a temperature or nasty smell from the wound then hopefully you are on the road to recovery 
    • Posted

Definitely no temperature or smell, it's not red either. It's "just" painful. And I manage to avoid the burning when I pee by applying a warm compress beforehand. So you reckon that it's normal to have these kind of sharp pains the first few days?

• Posted

Hi LUre38074

im almost positive that you shouldn’t be in pain. You need to have it checked ASAP. Do you have a temperature or anything? Just ring the emergency drs today and have it checked 

• Posted

Hi, thanks for your response!

As I've mentioned in my new message, the pain has now changed, it's more localized and it happens mostly when I move my legs around and when I move the catheter. It seems normal that a healing wound would hurt no? I've have bad cuts before and the healing process is always painful... also I have read that woman who have had a Word Catheter are often in pain at the beginning and usually stay in bed for several days before being able to start wobbling around... I guess I will see how the pain evolves tomorrow and perhaps call the doctor if it hasn't gone away by then. I have an appointment with her on Thursday, 5 days from now, so I was thinking to just wait and see. I have no fever, and I don't feel like this is an infection, it's not red or throbbing anymore and the lump has decreased in size. But there definitely is still some very localized pain that forces me to just stay in bed and hope it goes...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.