Word Catheter for Bartholin Cyst

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello there, I'm 17 years old and I've been getting barthoin cysts for just over a year now and I've been getting them every month, sometimes two a month. Anyway, after 3 tries we finally got it at it's peak and headed up to A&E, they took me up the the gynaecologist ward where they inserted a word catheter. I have a few questions I'm hoping you can answer. I was wondering if anyone could tell me roughly the recovery time for it, they said I'd have it for a month, maximum unless it falls out itself, but they never mentioned anything about the extreme pain I'm feeling. I the most I can do is sit or lie on my side, and even then it's very difficult to get there, to walk I have to use crutches to support my weight because it's almost unbearable to walk on my own! Does this last until it's out or is it a matter of getting used to it? I have college and I don't want to be off for a long time as there's a lot of pratical assessments in the course and I don't want to be missing out on that. And if I return to college while the catheter is still in place, what's the best clothing to wear? Thank you in advance!

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

hello

so sorry to hear about your pain. I have went through this about a year ago. I dont really understand why you are in that much pain, unless they put it in wrong. I had got a word catherter pu tin 2x, the 1st one was the worst, they put it in wrong which left me in bad pain. I was walking like a duck,  couldn't lay down correctly. I kept that one in for about 2 days couldn't take the pain, I had to be wheeled in to the doctors to get it removed. Then after getting it removed it had got infected, went back to the Dr, and got another catherter put in this time it was a different Dr so they put it in the right place. I was able to walk right out the Dr. It didn;t stay in place for long, about a week. Every since then "thank GOD' I have been great.. Make sure while the catherter is in place you wear loose fitting clothes as well as underwear, now and always. Dont do anything that would put pressure on your body, you have to take care of that ares and keep it very clean and dry at all times.. Good Luck!!!!

• Posted

Yes! I am walking the exact same way, apparently it's normal for that? Hopefully the pain will leave in a few days and I'll be able to walk and return to college next week 😅
  • Posted

I'm so sorry for your pain! I know exactly how it feels not being able to walk, sit or even lay without it hurting. I was in a similar situation too just a few weeks ago. I went to the ER for the OBGYN on call to put a ward catheter in. It only lasted 24 hrs before it ripped through my skin and had to remove it myself. It's suppose to be in for atleast 4-6 weeks. It's suppose to keep the duct open so that the abcess can still drain. Try taking some OTC pain relievers for now and if by day two is still painful go back and ask if there are any other pain relievers you can do to help. Also, keep a pillow between your legs when you lay on your side to help so there isn't much pressure down there.
    • Posted

I've been prescribed co codamol and I was told to switch between that and ibuprofen to help with the pain. I ended up calling a 24 hour hospital service and they said it was normal but to call my GP if it doesn't improve. I'm basically stuck on my couch all day! 😓
    • Posted

Ok so I just googled co codamol and that's just codeine, so a strong pain reliever. I'd just take that as prescribed since that's the stronger medicine, and if you could combine the ibuprofen then you can do that too. You may feel like it's not working but it definitely is, just can't tell because the pain is just too strong. That's how I felt when I was prescribed oxycodone. It may take a little while for the pain to lessen. I was stuck in bed for just about a week. 😢 Try taking a hot bath and just soak for a little bit, that seemed to help a little bit for me, and take some relief off my back since I could only lay on my back without feeling pressure on my cyst/word catheter.
    • Posted

Oh dear, so far I've been sitting on my couch for the day as its less sore than lying in bed but to be honest I'd probably be more safe in bed, less pressure on it etc. If I manage to get into the bath I'll definitely try that 😂 I've heard tea tree oil is good to stop infection as it's a natural antibiotic (or something like that) so hopefully I'll be able to get my mum to get me a bottle or two tomorrow. Thank you!
    • Posted

I can't imagine having this thing in for so long. I've had mine in since Monday. I can't hardly walk or sit. I need to get back to work but don't see how I can work in this condition.

• Posted

Also, how do I know if the catheter is coming out, do I feel it? or does it just fall out? What will happen if I ask my GP to take it out early?
    • Posted

Well after the doctor put it in, it definitely hurt because it was pushing on some inflammation i was having, but after a few minutes it went away. I also had a skin infection so my whole right labia was swollen and because of the inflammation my body had pushed the word catheter to my infection and my tissue there was super thin. Sorry if it's TMI, but it ripped threw my skin 😭😱. So my bf had to help me and pop the balloon and I had to pull it out. Normally you shouldn't feel it or see it. I think it was also because I must of had a second pocket of an abcess that needed to drain so maybe another reason it moved?

If it falls out on its own, I'm sure it'll be fine just make sure to call and make an apt with your GP and check up with them just in case. I would definitely schedule an apt with them in about 4 weeks to have it removed since that's what they normally recommend. That word catheter is there to keep that duct open and let all that pus/abcess drain out around it so that it all comes out and shouldn't come back.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.