Word catheter for Bartholin cyst - supposed to take it out after only 24 hours?

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi,

I've been reading everyone's experiences and am now concerned about what my doctor told me.  I have a Bartholin cyst (about the size of a large grape) that didn't bother me for years - I had it checked out by my gyno in Canada, but he said it was too small to do anything about, and as long as it didn't bother me it's fine just to leave it be. But then over the last couple months it started to become very painful during sex, so I went to another gyno (this time in Germany since I had moved there), and he suggested right away to do the small operation with a Word catheter.  I was scared to have that done, but finally made the appointment and had it done yesterday morning.  Thing is, the doctor told me to take the catheter out myself the following morning (today).  But everything I have read online says that the longer it is left in, the better the chance that the cyst won't come back.  24 hours doesn't seem like enough time for the gland to be open enough to drain properly.  Could he have given me the wrong information?

I am also having a lot of pain and have difficulty sitting in a chair.  He said I could go back to work the next day if I wanted to, but I definitely wouldn't be able to walk with this!  Thanks for your comments.

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi everyone, in 2009 I got my first bartholin cyst on the left side the doctor drained it and put a catheter after 3 days it got removed when I was doing sitz bath. Later an year I got cyst again they just drained it, again in 3 months I got the cyst again the doctor drained, again n again for every 3 months I used to get it so the doctor did marsupilization. But my bad cyst is back again so finally they removed the gland on that side...

Now my foot I got cyst on the other side. Yesterday I went to the doctor she drained n put the word catheter. She told me to put it for 2 weeks. It’s like hell pain.  When I do sitz bath it’s really relaxing so planning to do 3 times a day.. 

So my question is do we need to use something to clean up when doing sitz bath? Also if we have it for 2 weeks are there less chances to get it back again??

Report this

❤ 0

• Posted

nothing to clean...only sitz baths and water..

and yes in most cases it come back...

• Posted

Hello ladies,

I just had a Word Catheter put in last evening and I was wondering if it's normal that it hurts like hell at the beginning. I suspect it might be the incision, I'm still bleeding quite a lot from it. My gynecologist was doing this for the first time so I'm freaking out a bit that she might have done it wrong. Right now I have a lingering burning sensation and as soon as I sit up it hurts. I can stand without too much pain but I can't put any underwear, it's way too excruciating. Does this seem normal to you?

Thank you for sharing your experiences!

• Posted

It's normal - it hurts like hell from the incision and pressure of the balloon inside the incision. It will subside with time (weeks). 

Please update after a few weeks...it hurts til the very end of the 6 weeks it should be inside. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.