Word catheter put in on Saturday

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had a bartholin cyst that developed on Thursday night and by the next day it was abcessed. I went to work anyway on Friday because we were short staffed (i work in a doctors office) so Saturday morning I had it drained at a local urgent care. She inserted a word catheter and told me to schedule a follow up with my obgyn in five days to have it removed. The problem is the word catheter is extremely uncomfortable. Now I've had line place before about six years ago and I don't remember it being this uncomfortable. Also I have about an inch of the catheter sticking out of my skin, is it suppose to be that long? I placed a gauze pad and folded the catheter or else I won't be able to walk from it rubbing on my skin. I've also noticed that my labia is swollen, is that also normal ? Again I've had the catheter put in twice about 6 years ago and I don't remember it being this long and uncomfortable. Should I take it out myself ? Idk what to do any advice will help. Thanks ladies.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

When I had a catheter put it, mine stuck out as well, I too had to tuck it back to keep it from moving around while I walked. I didn't experience any discomfort and I had mine in for 10 days. If it's causing you extreme discomfort go back to urgent care and have it checked. Better safe than sorry smile

• Posted

Hi 🙂 I'm surprised she advised to get the catheter taken out so soon. I had one inserted following an abscess (my 7th) last month, and it was supposed to stay in 4 weeks. It fell out on day 8 and was put back in soon after. That only stayed in 12 hours (sigh).The consultant said the current thinking is anything over 7 days may do some good (anything less made it unlikely). I was VERY sore and swollen for a few days after, and it stuck out further than I was expecting too....i guess it may depend on how deep your abscess is,as to how much sticks out

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.