Words of Wisdom?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hey guys!

Thank you so much for all your help so far. My ablation is fast approaching and while I'm excited there's still this bit of me that is freaking out and wondering if I should cancel. I can deal with the episodes themselves as they don't freak me out and I don't get anxious about them at all as they just happen when they feel like it and there's nothing I can do, but the slight increases in frequency and duration over the years is my main reason for getting it done.  

Just looking for some advice or words of wisdom in the lead up to help me. Either for or against I guess. More specifically;

1) I don't know whether to be awake or asleep. I don't really want to be awake but I have a fear of going under at the same time. 

2) It's only happening once a fortnight at this stage (which is an increase from when I was younger, but still not as often as others I can see). 

3) The episodes are usually 3-5 minutes long. Lately I have had a few 15+ minute ones but I can still deal with these okay I guess. 

4) Did anyone with SVT not experience an increase in episodes with pregnancy? 

5) Has experienced noctural fainting with SVT where you wake up with it and it causes fainting? My cardiologist said its related and could have the potential to turn into fainting with daytime episodes of SVT which is why he suggests ablation. Has anyone had this actually happen?  

Thank you in advance for any advice. I'm just freaking out a little and just want all of the opinions and advice before heading in. 

x

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi emily as i speak im havong an stv attack!

I would recommend having the op i had my op 11 years ago im now 28 and didnt suffer with any SVT attacks fof years until now something it grows back so i have to have it done again ive had my heart beat was 300 per min ive never faited but ive felt all weak dizzy sweating etc x

• Posted

Hi emily as i speak im having an svt attack!

I would recommend having the op i had my op 11 years ago im now 28 and didnt suffer with any SVT attacks for years until now somethimes it grows back so i have to have it done again ive had my heart beat was 300 per min ive never faited but ive felt all weak dizzy sweating etc it will settle on its own my advice would be stay awake why your having the op theres nothing to worry about x

• Posted

I have never fainted from an SVT episode, but my episodes are only 5 minutes long at best and I have only had 3 in my life. I am getting an ablation on Monday, mainly because my doctor said I am at an increased risk of sudden cardiac death (cardiac arrest), and that is not something I want to risk.

This, in my opinion, would be the main reason to get an ablation done even if the frequency and duration of the episodes are manageable. It is definitely a personal choice though.

As for being awake vs. asleep, that is also a very personal choice. The doctor I am seeing usually uses general anesthesia to put people under, but I have specifically requested to be awake with the most minimal amount of sedation possible. There are 3 main ways you can do it:

1. No/minimal sedation - you will be very alert and be able to hold a conversation with the doctor. You must remain VERY STILL at all times, as moving can be potentially dangerous to your safety.

2. Moderate/conscious sedation - while you will technically still be awake, you will be in a "fog" with this option. You will probably fall asleep and will only wake up when you are in SVT and when they are ablating. You will be able to talk if something is really important to say (i.e. something is hurting), but in general you won't be able to hold a conversation

3. General anesthesia - with this route, you will be totally unconscious. You will be put out and wake up, and from your view, it will be like time travel - you won't even realize time has elapsed.

The most popular way to do it is option 2, as people find it to be a happy medium. The downside of option 3 is that it can make the SVT harder to start up, and they need to do this to proceed with the ablation.

I hope this helps! I'll let you know how mine goes after Monday.

• Posted

Why did your doctor think you would have a cardiac arrest?  My doctor told me that you won't die from SVT. 

• Posted

He said if I had WPW (which he suspected I might), in that case, I would have an increased risk. Of course, he said he wouldn't know if I had WPW or not until he got in there for the EP study, and he said at that point we might as well do an ablation to fix the problem even if it wasn't WPW (which it wasn't).

• Posted

I had my ablation asleep and very very glad I did. Yes I was anxious too about anesthesia but it was all good. That's normal to be anxious. My SVT would last anywhere from 5 minutes to 2 hours and got more and more frequent. I had very dizzy  episodes while driving and thought I was going to have an accident. I quit driving for awhile. It was really affecting my life.  I just could live that way anymore! 

• Posted

I'm glad DR365 added the WPW qualification.  I suspect many of us SVT people become fixated on the cardiac arrest part of the SVT package.  From years of reading, I think I can accurately report that with an otherwise healthy heart, SVT victims' risk of sudden cardiac death is only very slightly elevated.  Certainly not enough to worry about.  And this is coming from someone who, years ago, was convinced that his SVT was going to kill him the previous week.

As to level of sedation during ablation, I haven't reached a confident opinion. I wasn't conscious for either of mine, though I was told I would be for my second.  After it, and according to my spouse, I had quite a coherent discussion with my electrophysiologist.

An hour later, I had no memory of same. Take care, all.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.