Work

Posted , 9 users are following.

Has anyone out there with CRPS managed to return to work

1 like, 32 replies

32 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Sylvia good to hear that you have the motivation to go back into work and fingers crossed the company will support your return back. I think that going back to work will really help mentally as it is so easy to get depressed and spend too much time thinking if you are at home. I just want to get back as near normal as possible as I have felt terribly depressed and it's a horrible place to be. So I am determined to fight this crps with hourly Physio exercises and keeping a positive mental attitude. In the meantime I am waiting for my referral to the pain management clinic so this shouldn't be too long. Must admit I read your post with interest but was a tad disappointed to note that no one with crps had replied to confirm that they have returned to work but we shall see! I am assuming that those people in question are now too busy leading a normal life to respond!  So lovely day today, going to sit in the sun and get some tough Physio started! Take care now and let me know how you get on with work x
  • Posted

Hi Sylvia I've had this illness for three years plus now in my ankle so severe walking difficulties, I've actually been told I will never return to work? Where is yours, how long have you had it, and where is it? Carol
    • Posted

Mine is in my right leg ,and ankle. My ankle is quite deformed it is rolled over and I am walking on the outside edge of my foot. It is very painfull when I go out I wear an air boot and use crutches, as I can't get a shoe on.Going to the pain clinic tomorrow so maybe I will some answers then.

Silvi

• Posted

How long have you had it, how did it happen? Don't get your hopes up to much with pain clinic as i did, you may get disappointed which one you going? Carr x
    • Posted

I had a car accident in August last year so 8months ago.In December last year I had a nerve block done ,it did'nt work the way they said it would.Just keeping my fingers crossed I get somwere .
    • Posted

I hope so for you too truly I do is it really bad pain any discolouration swollen etc? I've had my three plus years after being dropped in hospital! Struggle most days! X
    • Posted

Yes very painfull keeps me awake nearly every night,quite swollen ,black and purple in colour nearly to my knee. I hope the hospital are looking after you  as they caused it in the first place good luck 

silv

• Posted

I have crps in my left ankle and shin - i was diagnosed 6 yrs ago - after several ops and eventually a fusion I have returned to work - I struggle mostly with the swelling and constant pain unless I keep my left leg constantly elevated .... Thankfully I have a desk job but do have periodic training sessions and present every once in a while and the standing causes me real pain and discomfort .... However the pain and discomfort is worth the fact that I am able to work and keep me mentally sane for my own gain .... I really feel being able to work helps me through the fact I have this god awful crps - my real problem is managing my pain meds to allow me to fully function while i continue to work - thankfully my pain clinic consultant and nurse understand my need to take less and less oral meds and have been all for trialing and asministering pain relief via nerve blocks and quitenza patches which help for 3 month periods normally - dont get me wrong being back at work is hard but in achieving this I feel it is a hurdle I am fighting to stay over in my fight against crps and some days i just ask myself is it worth it - but the fear of the depression and anxiety that having crps brings keeps me motivated to fight my own battle against it - so if you can I would advice trying to return phased return initially if you can and build up to what you can manage - my employer is really understanding and this is a real bonus and the constant hospital appts are accommodated by them and this helps allievate the pressure further - good luck if you do plan to return to work - mentally i feel stronger for doing so but have met many people who just cant manage it and feel heart sorry for them as crps is a dreadful thing that ruins lives but I hope I can keep winning my own battle and keep some kind of normality in my own life - some days I find it unbareable working and really do struggle but I am positive keeping my mind active helps me through the pain barrier - good luck in whatever you decide to do Ax
    • Posted

Hi As8u you sound very positive I am glad you are managing ok.I am a machinist so I need mobility in my ankle ,which I don't have at the moment but working hard to  get it back as soon as possible.good luck to you 

silv

• Posted

Stay positive sylvia74027 - I hope you manage to get enough mobility back - I k ow it can be really tough and I do still have really bad times but I try to get to a bareable stage and work it from there - very best of luck 😆
  • Posted

Hi. I broke my right wrist last summer and was diagnosed with crps last November. I've worked throughout, with just a few days off work before my op and after my cast was removed. It's been difficult and I've needed regular time away from the office for physio and pain management appoints, but thankfully only work 10 minutes from hospital. Good luck in your return to work
    • Posted

Hi Maddy I broke my wrist in December and diagnosed with CRPS in March so feel that I am following your pathway. I've been off work since the injury occurred and was all set to return to work about 3 weeks ago but unfortunately had a fall due to the medication I've been prescribed. However I've now reduced dosage and feel a bit more with it now so I'm hoping to return to work in the next week or so. Are you currently taking any meds? Have you been referred to pain management clinic? I was seen at pm clinic and had a pamidronite drug infusion so waiting for that to take effect. I've been having 3 Physio sessions per week since February and progress has been really slow but steady. Did you have surgery on your wrist? Sorry for lots of questions but really good to hear that you are able to work wink
  • Posted

Hi cillasmum. Yes had op and wires inserted for 6 weeks. I've had regular physio ivra injections in my hand which did nothing, and just recently brachial plexus nerve block. Keep positive
  • Posted

Hi Sylvia and all others following this discussion I have had the go ahead to return to work in 2 weeks time. I was anticipating going back 4 weeks ago but unfortunately had quite a bad fall  due to medication prescribed. So can't believe I'm looking forward to a Monday morning in work! Have now got to get a work place assessment as wrist is still very stiff. Just want to get back into a normal routine and will have see how the CRPS behaves in work. I feel that I am managing my pain levels but now and then I have flareups. So will let you know how things work out 
  • Posted

Hi Cillasmum, I'm so pleased to hear that. Take each day as it comes, it can be difficult, hopefully your employers and work colleagues will understand what your going through

• Posted

Hi Maddy thanks for your response. Yes you're right will have to take each day as it comes as I know there will be good and bad days. My consultant gave me a type of book marker which explains CRPS, so I can readily hand this to colleagues in the workplace. I think the most frustrating thing is explaining this condition as in the past when I've tried to explain I notice people's eyes glazing over as I first inform them what CRPS stands for...
    • Posted

Yes your correct, people don't understand and treat you as if it's in your head. It would be interesting to have something to pass to people to read

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.