Work Anxiety

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've always worried about work and my performance but the job I'm in now is causing me to be extremely anxious. I just can't switch off at weekends. Over this last weekend I felt like I had no energy and couldn't be bothered to do anything. I have two young children and a wife who I feel I am letting down as I struggle to get out of bed in the mornings.

The company recently made lots of people redundant so my workload has increased massively and my line manager is no support. He just says deal with it and piles on more and more. It's target driven so I'm constantly worried about not meeting targets!! It's horrible!! The only thing that keeps me there is the money. I want to get out and have been applying for other jobs without success. Not sure how much longer I can do this!! Would rather a job with little stress and less money but my pride says I can't do that. Any advice?

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Please go and see your doctor
    • Posted

I have been on Citalopram 20mg for the last 3 years which I started on due to stress in my previous job. I had six weeks off sick and they did work to start with but recently I have been getting awful anxiety again. Is it just me or is it the job?
    • Posted

It could be that the meds are not working anymore and you have to up the does or change, you have to speak to your gp ot at least try and get some therapy, talking to someone who does not know you helps.

Anxiety sucks  but there is no quick fix

• Posted

Like lynne said you may need to have your meds reassessed.  Medications level off after a while. You may need your meds upped?
  • Posted

I can completely relate to you, I too constantly worry about work, feel I'm not good enough. I can't switch off either and just feel trapped in this unhappy cycle. I've always had this imposter syndrome in most jobs, don't feel good enough for any job. My advice would be speak to your gp perhaps switch meds, I was on fluoxetine and really made a difference. Also ask about cbt, this really helped me when I was at my lowest. It helps to look at the negative vicicious cycle our thoughts take us on and find strategies of coping.

Unfortunately i weaned myself off the meds after cbt as I felt I had turned a corner , my depression hit a couple of month after doing so and then I found out I was pregnant after we had been trying for a while. This should be the happiest times but I just feels so alone and trapped in this job till maternity leave

Sorry for the long message, please keep talking to people on here it helps .

B x

• Posted

Thank yo so much for your reply it's good to know I'm not going mad! I am going to phone the doctors today and make an appointment even if it's a couple of weeks away when they can fit me in. I will ask about CBT too.

I just can't go on like this. This morning I woke up at 5am and was worrying about all the issues I've got to deal with in work. Outside of work I'm really laid back but work anxiety has always affected me. At the moment it's as bad as it's ever been. Xx

• Posted

Sounds like you are dealing with a lot of stress.  Sound like you may need to play a little more.  I am really in the same boat as you.  I am getting more and more annoyed with my work, but the money is the only thing that is keeping there.  If your the athletic type, do some exercise.  If you not, try guided meditation to relax.
    • Posted

Thanks for the reply. I am going to try and get a doctors appointment this morning. It's got to the stage where I can't function properly at work because I feel out of my depth and get no support from my manager. Not sure if to get signed off sick. Probably not the answer but I just don't know where to turn.
    • Posted

Well you have to look out for number one, yourself.  Do what you need to do to get yourself healthy physically and mentally so you can function at work.  Good job on checking with your doctor.
    • Posted

Hi Michaela, Went to the doctors yesterday who recommended either increasing my citalopram or counselling. Then went into work and spoke to HR. They advised they could refer me to occupational health for some counselling and will work with my manager on what they do to support me. I am going to speak to my manager today in private to let him know how the job is making feel and that I need some support. Not looking forward to that conversation and not sure how he will react but got to do something!
    • Posted

Great!  Do you live in the US?  The reason I am asking is you are dealing emotional problems, and they can not fire you because of that, which would be discrimination.  I would believe that they need to acommidate you, or be reasonable to help you. I hope you meeting goes well.  Possibly they have a position that you can do, that is not so stressful?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.