Work disiblity

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have had RA for 18 years. In 2015, I could no longer do my job. i applied for disability and won. It has been a blessing as well as a curse. Not having the stress of work and the ability to rest when my body needs to is great but there are days when I want/need to feel productive and have a purpose.

Any ideas of what I can do to fill this void? Anyone in the same situation? RA is AWFUL

Kimberly

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hi Kimberley,

I was in your position in 2005 when I had to retire early from the NHS.

I got a part time job on the tills in Tesco until I had a flare and had to leave. That was a great job. I now volunteer for Age UK and am involved in various projects at my church.

Alternate weeks I spend with my 93 year old Mum who is unsteady on her feet. This gives my sister and I peace of mind for her safety at night.

I hope you are able to find something you enjoy. Best wishes,

Elspeth

• Posted

Thank you for reading and responding. It is comforting to know that others can unfortunately relate and understand. I will keep searching. Be well.

Warmly

Kimberly

• Posted

I've been on disability for the last 8 years and I have gotten so lonely too. I went looking for social places I could meet other people. Our parks department has a senior program. I'm 58 so just barely old enough to qualify. If you live in the US you can earn up to $880 per month working and still get your disability. So I started driving for Lyft and Uber. That way I can drive whenever I feel good enough. Also check with your local school district. Ours has a volunteer grandparents program. Even if you're not old enough to be a grandparent they always need volunteers.

• Posted

Thank you for sharing with me. I am 54 so I still feel young but my body doesnt agree most days. I have checked into volunteering at a local food pantry and am looking forward to that. Be well and Thank you again

Warmly

Kimberly

• Posted

Hello

I,ve had RA for about the same length of time, maybe a little longer, I,m 62 now and still lucky enough to be working.

i,m self employed builder so if i,m a bit crap i can take time off and i have done over the years but not to often to be honest.I,m on biologjcs etc and do rely on painkillers on a daily basis and have wondered if packing it in would mean i,d be able to kick the painkillers so did a 6 week try on that (no difference) so went back to work cos i like my job and i manage to cope and for me i believe its better for me mentally but i understand its different for everyone and i,m probably a stubborn old so n so who wont give in.

All the best to you and i wish you well and you will find your place.

Gaz

• Posted

Thank you!! I do be believe my stubborness keeps ne going. Be well and keep moving

Warmly

Kimberly

• Posted

Hi @Kimberly sorry you had to go through that. I recently was approved for my disability as well,although I haven't work in quite sometime due to RA and other health issues. There are things you can do to be productive,such as starting a new hobby something you feel passionate about. I love looking after my grandson when I can its absolutely the best and I get to help my son out. The little things do make a difference. The things you always wanted to do when you was working this is a good time to do it. Hope this help you and good luck!

• Posted

Thank you for sharing! You are so correct about finding a hobby. I will certainly do that. Enjoy your grand baby!! Be well.

Warmly

Kimberly

• Posted

Hi Kimberly

Have you considered charity work like at the league of friends at a local hospital or CAB you could help people in similar situations as yourself full training is usually given and can work around your own abilities

• Posted

Hi Kimberly

Have you considered charity work like at the league of friends at a local hospital or CAB you could help people in similar situations as yourself full training is usually given and can work around your own abilities

• Posted

Cheers

i re-read my post and thought that maybe i sounded a bit blaise going on about me still working so if i did i,apollogise. Thankyou for your warm reply and i do wish you well.

• Posted

Hi Gaz

Not at all you should be proud RA as we all know can effect different people in different ways and if nothing else it's predictable in its unpredictability.

It's a disease we have all learned to live with in our own way

I was lucky enough to change my carreer from carer to an administrative role. which enabled me to stay in a service that I love.

but after my last flare up I have admitted I need to now reduce my work life balance furthers to 3 days 18 hours.

if I have learned nothing else this disease is not an old persons Illness and if your unlucky enough it can strike you in your 30s and sometimes our bloodymindedness

strong will and a very high pain threshold keeps us going, and there is no right or wrong time to say " you know what I need to stop and take time for myself now"

it doesn't make anyone less productive as people usually find something just as useful to keep them going. And if nothing else you have wealth of knowledge about RA the medications and living with disabilities to share.

never apologise for doing what you love.

bless

• Posted

Thank,s for that post Jay jay, and yes your right about the RA being no respector of age.

There,s a young lad across the road from me whose was diagnosed with RA 3 yrs ago and is being treated for it( not sure what med,s he's on) but he,s only 15 now.

You never hear him moaning but ive spoken to his mam and he is going through the mill with it, but he just gets on with his schoolwork and his mates etc so more power to him.

He know,s ive got it and he also know,s he could speak to me anytime but he just get,s on. I have nothing but respect for that young man.

We can all learn off each other regardless of age, gender or anything.

Gaz

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.