Work related issues any advice or help appreciated

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi this is my first time posting. Im currently in the process of returning to work after more than a Year of therapy after emergency surgery for CES. An i am having to do a bunch of paperwork like an accomadations form. Now i realise not very many people with CES have the ability to go back to work im making a go of it. I cant feel my legs from the knee down an limtied control of my right foot an ankle an little to none of my left. But luckily not many bladder/deficating dificulties except feelin like i need to poop a lot. My thing is im looking for someone who got hurt on the job like i did an weather or not if it comes down to it i should end up with a settlement. Ive called lawyers an none have been very helpful. So i thought i would look for someone who was or is going through something similar.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I can advise you - as you have asked I hope admin do not mind!

01202 338889

• Posted

Ashley, A lot depends on what kind of work you did before and how the law reads concerning return to work in your state or country. Also your age etc. I am similar in that mine was work related. Remember, now you are a fall risk as well. Employers like to make you think they want you back then fire you on a petty thing and you loose all benefits. Be careful and you really need to consult a lawyer before you make a move. In my situation I have the bowel and bladder issues and don’t want to drag all those issues with me to work. (Humiliating) It’s hard enough with lack of feeling from the knee down. Good luck.
  • Posted

To be clearer - if your injury was caused by an accident at work then to succeed in a claim for damages you will need to establish that they were negligent - I would need a lot more detail about the accident.

My particular field is in medical negligence, where a GP or Hospital may have failed to diagnose and/or treat CES in time 

• Posted

The reason why you cannot walk may not simply be due to the accident. Obviously it is a factor but not the only one.

With CES, if you do not get disk decompression surgery within 24 hours of it being evident you have a back injury, the damage can become permanent.  So if there was over 24 hours between surgery and the accident, the reason you cannot walk could be delayed surgery which could be medical negligence. The medical negligence could be:

1. You not being given an MRI fast enough after a back injury; or

2.The wrong type of MRI was used which did not show the damage well enough

3. A delay in operating after the MRI is done

If you research CES legal claims, you will find there are a lot of very big legal claims for medical negligence along these lines.

On the work front, if your employer or a work mate did something which was not sensible or failed to take adequate precautions, there could be grounds for a claim against the employer.   But you need to work out either what was done which was not sensible - or what precautions should have been taken and were not.

• Posted

if you walked perfectly fine before the injury and can’t adequately feel your legs from the knee down or your butt and perineal area it’s the injury. And yes anything that delays your decompression is at fault. CES is 100 percent preventable if diagnosed early enough and disc decompression performed. Any delay is catastrophic. As I well know. 
  • Posted

Well when it comes to my injury i was holding a 16ft steel beam approximately 240lbs between 2 people. I was standing there holding it an my back just let go it was instant pain an my left leg went numb within 15 seconds. I had to sit on the job site for almost an hour then my employer tried to assist walk me offsite to his truck where my legs completely gave out. The reason they tried to do it that way was to hide my injury from the main contractor on the site. An ambulance was then called. I went to the emergency room where i sat in intense pain where fentinal barely broke through the pain for 6 hrs waiting for the mri to open up so that they could do an mri tho they were sure what my condition was an that i would need emergency surgery which i had that same day. If any of this seems negligent which some of it i do is. Give me your opinion it will be appreciated.
    • Posted

Why do you suppose your employer wanted to get you off site asap?  Looks like they did not want any witnesses ...... and something must have gone on which the main contractor would not have liked. What would that have been? Lack of training? 

And you should bear in mind if anyone has a back injury, moving them could make the injury much worse.

From what you say, it looks like the surgery was done in 24 hours and the only delay was 6 hours waiting for an MRI.

• Posted

were you given any manual handling training?

have you had prior MH training?

was there anything unusual about how the lift proceeded?

I assume no lifting equipment was provided; but could it have been used if available?

• Posted

I can provide legal advice if you require it; you may well have a claim - your employer should have risk assessed and reduced the risk to the lowest reasonable level; I think lifting equipment was required.

I am happy to let you have a contact email or telephone no' if required.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.