Work related stress/Depression

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi,

I have had a lot of stress at work for the last 3-4 years and recently felt like I was being pushed out of my job which led to what I think was a panic attack and severe depression. I immediately took sick leave (currently 5 weeks).

I have had sleepless nights, emotional, I've had a constant noise in my head like a packed room full of people talking.

My wife is very supportive but at the moment I find it hard to go out. I have even sat there staring at my living room wall for what felt like 10 minutes but is actually an hour or 2. I have even thought Would it be better for everyone if I died.

What's wording me lately is that soon my uncaring employer will want me to go and see occupational health, but this is a 50 min drive into Manchester and I don't think I can do it, even if my wife drives me. Can they make me go?

Thanks in advance

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Donstu

You mention your has an Occupational Health Department or contractor, if you refuse they can ask you to either approach your Doctor for reasons why you are unable to return to work. If  They however may ask for permission to approach your GP for a report on your Health Problems. At this time they will look upon a return date or even a phased return. Also they may decide to move you on to a different Department within the same company. The last option may be the Sack.

If you need representation to look after your interests, You may try the Job Shop, they had a department that deals with Health Issues ?. They may help. Initially you may try CAB, they will help you work out a way forward with the help of some organisation

BOB

• Posted

Hi it's actually good that they want you to see occupational health as it shows they are taking your illness seriously.  If you can't go to see them then try and make an appointment for them to come and see you,  A letter from your doctor will provide more evidence.

You might also be able to do the interview over the phone so have a word with your employers.  Good luck with it.  Remember to tell them everything that is going on even if it doesn't seem relevant.  x

• Posted

I'm sorry to hear about your issues at work and would say this ....... I was in a similar situation and though I don't know your age I know for a fact local authority or other government agencies positively target older people to get them out of the work place and it is done in a very underhand way . I was fortunate that at 55 I just cut my loses and resigned as I could not bear another 10 plus years working within local authority . Yes I get bored and depressed and wish I had side stepped into another job but I think and remind myself how demoralised I felt so any depression is dealt with now rather than slogging out 12 years working on with LA .  As I say my circumstances were different and money is tight but I manage . I would say I toyed with idea of going off sick but probably like you I would of fretted and got more anxious . I would say go to your OHU appointment by train and be up front with stress issues at work and gently ease your self back into workplace . Use this time to update your CV and seriously look for another job . I held on hoping stress and expectation of job role would ease but it never did . Managers were unhelpful and not very supportive and over time this ebbs into your morale and confidence . I found the better you were at your job the more s**t was dumped on you and that I know as fact .  It's fantastic that you have a supportive partner and take this time to work on your own MH issues and never see your actions as a weakness . Keep a diary of your feelings and work on stress relieving techniques and visit gp for medication  and support . If things don't improve then I would say look for another job . You know it is a fact that when people get to retirement age their biggest regret is staying in a job that they did not feel valued  and fear of changing job . Two years on I may not be working or going out as much and have less income but sleep better and  have much better attitude to life and the small things that make me happy . Don't make work your life as I did as my one only oversight on my part is realising that I have not many interests or hobbies but am working on this as it's something that would of hit me much harder had I stayed working in such a toxic environment until government set retirement age of 67 . I would of also been very bitter and probably morphed into victor meldrow lol 😂 

• Posted

Donstu

I do not know where you work, although some companies will have a Board that consists of 

Your Union, Your Friend, represents you.

Company Doctor who has examined you and has reports from your Doctor, first and second Line Supervisor.

Staff Group 

The patient is not present.

There are up to three meetings, the first they discuss your duties now, also they will discuss first option, new position or allowing you to stay on your Original Position. 

You will be contacted in writing regards result      You refuse any decisions

A further Board will meet same as above, they will offer a further position, if refused

Third and last Board discusses above and if a new position proves unsuitable to you  they will discuss your fate.

Either Medical Retirement  or the sack

I went through the above Board system, your employer may run the same. Hopefully they will help you return to your original position and have the power to reduce hours, give additional time for recovery The groups are flexible, and are generally performed in the Public Service

BOB

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.