Working and taking citalopram

Posted , 2 users are following.

I've just started taking 20 mg citalopram (7 days) as I was having awful headaches.  GP said I was suffering from stress and depression.  Have had side effects especially anxiety and nausea so bad I have not been able to go to work for the past 3 days.  No energy, no appetite wondering when this will stop I can't afford to miss work anymore but I'm too scared to go out my front door.  Despite all the events that have caused me stress I've always managed to work and function!  How do others cope with work and taking citalopram?

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jac. I too was the same. I had a week off work and the side effects setlled quite a bit. I felt them for about 2 weeks but the 2nd week was better. I still get them now, 3 years later. But i only really get the odd sick feeling which lasts a few seconds, so not so bad. Side effects can last about 2 months with some people and they come back when you increase your dose.. Stick with it smile xxxx
    • Posted

Hi niccik, thanks for your reassuring reply.  I will stick with it, took citalopram a few years ago and had no side effects not so lucky this time!  I am going to try to go to work tomorrow but will have to see how I feel in the morningbiggrin
    • Posted

No problem Jac.. Did you manage to go to work today? Hope they dont take too long to settle. I too was on them years ago and didnt suffer bad side effects, but this time is different. Good luck smile xx
  • Posted

Hi niccik,  thanks for your concern.  No didn't make it in to work spent most of night anxious and racing heart.  Couldn't get out of bed.  Luckily husband around and phoned GP who's advised me to start withdrawing meds and that he will then prescribe something milder.  Feel torn know the side effects should subside but can't carry on not being able to function, I'm carer for elderly parent.  Thanks for your support x
  • Posted

Advice please .... Know I should stick with it but can't.   GP said as I'd only taken 20 mg for 7 days I should take 20 mg every other day for a week and stop, is this ok?  I've been reading things on here and it seems you should gradually reduce. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.