working day after a cystoscopy

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi 

I am due a cystoscopy on Monday which i am totally dreading no infection in my urine but blood showed when tested, really worried about what this could be.  

Will i be fit for work the day after having this done.

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

cystoscopy is the usual procedure if you have blood in urine ( haematuria). I was very apprehensive too  but only had mild discomfort  during the procedure which was al over in less than 2 mins and found nothing  - biggest discomfort was burnng sensation when I went for a pee afterwards , which lasted for ~24 hours 

• Posted

Take a couple of days off ! to be on the safe side .You could be running to the toilet more often for a couple of days ...........Its your health so take time off
  • Posted

Hi, Fiona ~

I just had a cystoscopy and a retrograde pyelogram yesterday.  I was dreading mine, as well.  I had read nothing but horror stories online until I found this web site.  What I read was reassuring and encouraging.  I had mine done with local anesthesia, an anesthetic gel.  This totally numbed the area, and I felt NO pain during these procedures!  The only slight discomfort was when the Dr. was inserting the gel.  And then, I would compare that to having a pap smear done.  After the procedures, it is normal to have some burning with urination and some "period type pain".  I did have the burning and slight pain.  What gave me relief was using my hand held shower head after urinating.  The warm water gave instant relief.  I also have one of those "spa wraps" that you can heat up in the microwave for neck/muscle pain.  I kicked back in my recliner and applied this to my lower abdomen, took 2 Tyelnol, and fell into a restful sleep.  This morning, I feel fine!  So, don't worry any longer about your upcoming cystoscopy.  You will get through this!   I'm not sure what kind of work you do, but based on my experience you should be your usual self the day after.   Wishing you a stress free weekend and a good experience on Monday!

• Posted

I think it is important to remember that everyone's experience with this procedure is different.  Some people feel very little discomfort and others, like myself, found it extremely painful.  The difference in sensation has to do with what is causing the blood in your urine.  We discovered that I have interstitial cystitis which basically means that my bladder is inflammed.  As a result, the insertion of the tube into my bladder was excruciating.  I was assured before the procedure that there was little pain if any and was not prepared for what happened.  I wish I would have known in advance so I could have at least braced myself.  The good news is that if you do have pain, it is over quickly.  Some women bleed for a couple days and have burning after urination for up to 3-4 days depending upon your condition.  I would alert your employer that you are having a medical procedure done and may or may not be in for work the next day.  I hope your procedure goes smoothly and is pain free and that your results are absolutely fine smile
  • Posted

While I don't know why you are having procedure done, if you had blood in your urine, this is the best way to find out why!  Everyone is different, but i would say most people are able to go back to work the day after...depends (maybe) if you sit behind a desk or do physical work.  I was able to do all my normal activities the day after 😀 Please let us know how you did so others can be encouraged!  You will be fine!
  • Posted

I was absolutely terrified and the whole thing really was fine; do not worry! I had the bleeding and could not get out of having this done ( despite lots of pleas to the doctor asking for more scans instead). The bleeding can be something as simple as a burst capillary in the midst of an infection and the consultant didn't even refer to it after the procedure just said 'all fine'. I would definitely take a day off afterwards if you can just to relax and recover from the psychological side of things; as far as the pain is concerned it's minimal and I wouldn't worry. I honestly found the whole thing far easier than a smear. Good luck and hope all goes well as I'm sure it will.
  • Posted

Hi it was fine, i am the biggest coward out said before procedure i should have been knocked out for this and was told it was not too late to change my mind but just wanted it over  with  did not know when next appointment would be for general, anyway over in no time nurses all chat away so please do not worry if you are to have this done soon it only last minutes.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.