Working from home during recovery?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Firstly, thanks to all contributors. I am 1 week post Weber C fracture repair surgery, and have spent the last few hours digesting all of these experiences and recommendations - some sobering, some heartening. Thank you.

I'm thinking about a return to work plan. I can work from a laptop at home (from bed I guess)  but wondering what a realisitic expectation of being able to do this post surgery would be - 2 weeks? I don't want to over promise/not deliver. 

I'm currently in a soft plaster cast, and also feel everyday that its becoming a bit looser. Is this normal? I can see from my toes that swelling has decreased so its probably related to that. Do I need to get the cast changed asap, or is this just normal and I should wait until the wound inspection in 2 weeks?

Thank you, I hope in time to be to answer other's noobie questions in this forum!

0 likes, 5 replies

Report / Delete

5 Replies

  • Posted


    I had a Weber C fracture to my left ankle/lower fibula at the end of January this year. Due to the nature of my work I couldn't afford to have too much time off so I went back to work asap. But I did all I can to aid in reduction of swelling etc. I got a lift to and from work, I sourced a spare chair and sat with my leg elevated while I was at my desk, my colleagues aided me as much as they can making me coffee lunch etc so I wasn't over doing it. And it worked fine for me. But it's down to personal preference.

    I also had a soft cast for two weeks, this did get loose down to swelling reduction so I believe this is normal. I then had my stiches out and a hard cast was put on for 6 weeks. Once again this got looser as the swelling reduce and also my calf muscle shrunk. When this cast was taken off my calf was non existent.

    Hope this helps.



    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

      Thank you Jack, that is very helpful indeed - and a good warning about the calf. Earlier today I read your post about the crosstrainer rehab (my ears pricked up since it sounds like we have the same injury but I'm four or so months behind you). I hope that is working out, all the best for the recovery. Thanks for replying.

      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    I was working from home from the day after my surgery, which was a talonavicular joint fusion. I just propped by foot on a pillow on the chair next to me at the kitchen table. I did stop to lie down for a minute if it felt like my foot was swelling. It's always a good idea to ask your doctor to be sure about concerns like this, though.

    Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up