Working out after being diagnosed with acute lymes

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi everyone,

I started antibiotics (doxycycline 21 days) yesterday for Lymes disease. I'm not sure what stage I was in. The doctors were thinking stage 2, as I had ptosis in one eye and fever/headache/body aches/stiff neck for the last 3 weeks.

I am an avid runner, and am having a hard time resting but also understand that I should not overdo it as my body needs to heal. I am supposed to do a marathon in 6 weeks but have decided to opt out, there will be more in the future. I have a compromised immune system as It is (I have less than 20 percent of my small intestine) and do not want to make symptoms worse or have this turn into something chronic.  

My question is, what can I do exercise-wise? I am stil achy and stiff, but want to keep myself in shape still and busy. When am I able to start exercising, and what types/intensity of things can I do?   Can I dive right back into running? Should I wait until I'm done with antibiotics?

Thanks!

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I worked out the entire time on Doxy (28 days).   Didn't seem to affect me.  The Doxy is anti-inflammatory as well.  I might have felt a little stronger on the Doxy. 

• Posted

I work out regularly. I do HIIT workouts, weights, running, yoga... I do it all and it doesn't always feel good and so I pull back when I need to.  If you over due it can increase inflammation and so I gauge according to how I'm feeling. Some can't do any exercise at all and I can't say it feels great when I do but for me it's necessary otherwise my body would cease.  I work through it and manage what I can.  Maintaining some form of exercise, would be a good idea as you are active and you'll want to maintain your range of motion. an endurance.  I would say for now, stick with moderate -  a slow jog or "brisk" walk, strength training and lots of stretching.  Post workouts - epsom salt baths to soothe your muscles and joints.  You'll get right back on track!  Maintain your endurance in the meantime but taking it down a notch or two for now would be wise.

I can appreciate your activity level - I get it.  Do what you can but don't overdo just for the next while...

Cheers!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.