Working out.. legs cramps

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, I was wondering what everyones experience has been working out with fibro?  

I have been really into fitness for years but lately working out is becoming more and more difficult. Over the past two weeks, I started getting a tightness in my leg muscles and when I am working out my legs cramp up. I can no longer continue once they do this. Does anyone have this symptom? What have you done for relief?  

I have been taking magnesium, vit D and potassium and drinking plenty of water and stretching.

Also, i have a persistant sore throat.. Is that a fibro thing??

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Yes Carrie..I get shocking cramps..just had a total knee replacement,arthritis-bone on bone... because I had a trauma to the body, the Fibro really flared up the spasms and cramps in my legs were horrific...good now 5 weeks later...I use a lot ofmanesium too twice the daily dose plus a effervescence drink daily..unfortunately I had to go off all supplement 10 days before op...then the dr said I needent have gone off the magnesium grrr..they ended up giving me it in hospital ...it’s back in my system now I wouldn’t live without it...I don’t know about the sore throat though..but nothing surprises me, there are so many varying symptoms with this rotten syndrome ..be blessed Carrie and have a lovely day..hope you get some  answers on here that you need..😍😍😍💐

• Posted

I'm doing a lot of aerobics but its mainly cause I just love dancing and music so much so it keeps me going.. all the weights and like more anaerobic exercise is diffucult for me but i'm doing 1 hour a week and i use very light weight for the routines, 1-1.5 kilo. very light. but the work out itself is still good. I never thought soa throat has something to do with fibro so i'm now shocked.. that explaines a lot for me. my throat always soars when i'm working out so i just try to drink a lot of water through out the work out. 

• Posted

Dear Carrie

The remedy for leg cramps is quinine so when you feel it coming on drink a large glass of indian tonic water making sure that it has quinine as one of its ingredients. you ca also get quinine in tablet form. I have used both very sucessfully. Cheers Richard

• Posted

I would be very careful using quinine...it made my eyes all red and other side effects also..it’s very good for cramps I’ve also had over the counter meds that have quinine in them that are ok, but just didn’t work fir me only lots of Magnesium...just saying be careful what works well for some doesn’t work well fir others..be bkessed and have a nice weekend.,😍

• Posted

Dear Christine

I'm sorry that it has adverse effect for you. This is the first time I have heard this but one can never tell until you try. This goes for many things in life, food, medicines etc. Indian tonic water is drunk by lots of people so the reaction you have spoken of must be low I would think. I have never experienced it nor have others who have tried it after I have suggested it.

Cheers Richard

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.