working to hard to walk to soon advice please

Posted , 5 users are following.

So im six weeks post operation and still have instant swelling and now as I walk more feel what I think is mini spasms and a burning sensation by my big toe and little toe is this normal or is it a clear sign of have a seat your over walking your self maybe im working so hard to function normally that I might be harming myself I dont want that I would love to heal correctly to go back to as much normal as possible any advice

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Forgot to state now having knee pain anyone else experiencing this and any tips on how to relieve this pain without meds
  • Posted

Hi I'm 11 weeks post op today and I still get pain if I overdo it although not bad pain you will get allsorts of spasms etc as the tendons and ligaments start working again my physio explained you start waking different as the mechanics of ur foot changes following surgery so start walking correctly I had aches in my arches and still get ankle pain again she explained a bunion pulls ur arch lower therefore after op it's raised more so a bunion can affect everything as ur foot pulls other joints I had probs with knee hip etc which are now getting better although ankle is the one thing still bothering me, hope this helps x (I work on hospital ward and lucky enough to have physio around for advice )
  • Posted

I am 18 weeks post op and can assure you it does get easier. It is major surgery and you get used to walking differently and using different muscles. I suffered sciatica, hip and knee pain as well as very sore ankle but now that has improved with a more normal walk.

takes time but you will get there 😀

• Posted

Hi sue8439 thanks does put my mind at ease to know that is does get better now I can walk with a sneaker thanks to my hard work and a wounderful pt Ihave glad to hear that your foot feels much better can you still enjoy certain activities
    • Posted

I can walk normally in gel trainers but suffering form crps so still swelling, discoloured and burning sensation in my big toe but physio is helping.  I can cycle easily as you don't need to bend your toe and that has helped with overall fitness and hip knee pain.

i believe swimming is good do but just don't get chance to go really!

• Posted

Hi The sweetheart I would echo everything that has been said after 6 weeks my foot was extremely painful and huge amount of swelling I seriously thought I would never be able to get into any shoes ever again! 14 weeks along I am walking around in sandals and brogues. However, on the way my foot has been painful in probably every area at different times. This is indeed because everything is settling down to it's new shape and bone alignment. I too had knee, hip and back ache and still do from time, to time but much less severe. Don't worry it is very natural and it does come good. Just be patient and don't expect too much too soon.
    • Posted

Thanks smab97 great to get positive feed back I thought I was the only one its like the pain travels like a vaction lol doesnt it feel great when you notice the progression
    • Posted

I was feeling bad bc at 6wks I still use my cane sometimes I walk without it but then need it again makes me feel like im back tracking

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.