Working with Anxitey and depression ?

Posted , 8 users are following.

Won't bore you with details , but been off work now for 3 weeks and taking meds and work have asked me how long will I be away,have a sick note for a month , but to be honest I'm ashamed to admit I'm in no state to work my head is just a dark hole and I can barely look after my self let alone work and family stuff and I can see why people decide to opt out of life .

2 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Richard I totally get how you are feeling and have often felt the same way myself.  I am thinking about it again at the moment.  It is very hard to cope with the demands of life and work etc. anyway without having this b......y depression.   It makes everything 100 times harder.   You don't get much understanding and often others make life even harder for you instead.  

Tell your employer you are on meds and waiting for them to start working,  which is why you have a sick note for a month.   If you want to keep your job just tell them you are sure you will be fit for work soon (even if you feel you won't be).   What they want to hear is that although you are sick now you will be able to return to work asap.  Ok?   Tell them you are improving daily.  

I have been through this too and employers panic at the idea someone can be off for a long time.  They are just looking for reassurance that you will be returning in the near future.   If you are not fit by then,  keep playing the same tune. 

It is a myth that employers can't sack you for illness coz they can and do.  If you have been there at least 2 years and they know about your illness they have to make reasonable adjustments under Health and Safety Law to help you stay in your job.  These adjustments could be extra breaks,  extra leave for your illness etc.  Bear in mind though that these are always 'subject to business needs'.   They have a duty of care to you. 

If they don't try and help and dismiss you or harrass you for your illness then you would have a good case for tribunal.   However this is in the future so try not to worry about this now and just concentrate on getting yourself better.  x

• Posted

Thanks for your kind words , just wish my soul wasn't so troubled , I tried to drive my car into a tree 4 weeks ago and missed couldn't even get that right and now the guilt I feel for what I would have put my family through is killing me even more so , sorry to rant on I just feel as if I'm in no mans lands deciding witch path to choose .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.