Working with CS.

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am 63 and have been suffering with neck pain, stiffness in the neck and pain in back of head for over a year now, I also have trouble sleeping as can't turn over without pain, I have to physically lift my head with my hand to turn over. Initially my Dr said it was muscular and gave me Codeine Phosphate which did nothing for me. I gave it a couple of months and went to see a different Dr at tlhe practice who gave me stronger painkillers....Nafopam and also Amitrptyline to help me sleep. She tried to refer me for a scan but couldn't until I'd had physio which I am still having at the moment. The physio I get is about 15 mins every 2 weeks which in my eyes is not nearly enough. However apart from that I have been managing at work fine, I work in a dept store and am a bra fitter and general sales assistant. Any heavy lifting there is to do my colleagues would help and the rest of the time I have been managing fine. This week however I have been moved and put in the cafe, my first day was yesterday, I found it really heavy....carrying loaded trays of food, clearing tables and carrying loaded trays back to the kitchen. every part of the job involves some sort of lifting, carrying, pushing and pulling and scrubbing! Today was my day off and I have had so much pain and stiffness in my neck and pains in the back of my head! I am really concerned that this is going to make my condition worse. If I am feeling like this after one day I dread to think what I'll be like after five days in there. How do you cope at work, do you have a job that entails lifting or heavy work? Sorry for the long ramble but I am worried about getting worse.

0 likes, 46 replies

46 Replies

Next
  • Posted

hi kats56  i have seen some days could not do a lot for the pain but you just have to do what you can when you can you have good workmates when they help with lifting. i was told at pain management when you know you are going to do some thing heavy or you know you will be bad after some sort of work take some pain killers before you do it.the tablets will kick in and reduce the pain any way thats what my consultant always says!!! try some heat on your neck it  might ease the pain and the stiffness in your neck it will also ease the pains in the back of your head.i have about three soft toys the kind you put inn the microwave and i find they help some times.also if you can why not try anadin liquitab tablets (only if you can) i find they help with the pain try not to load the trays with a lot if possible again you say your workmates help you so they will under stand if you did that.why dont you try and go to a pain management clinics see your GP to refer you it might be of some help to you and as i said many times on this site if you can go to a pain clinic go as you will meet others with the same condition as you and some with pain but with a different condition as you i hope this helped you a little bit smile  i am the one rambling on now so i hope you have some relief of your pain and stiffness!!rolleyes  

• Posted

Hi Jeanette Thanks for all the advice, it means a lot to know there are people who understand what you are going through.

When I said my colleagues helped me at work, that was on my previous section. On my new section...the cafe there is no way anyone has time to help. I had a drs appt. yesterday and after telling her about my employers moving me to a dept where it was much heavier work she couldn't believe they would do that. However they have and she has told me not to be tempted to do anything that will make the condition worse, I know what she means because it can be so easy to say to yourself 'oh I'll just do it this time' and then you end up in pain! She is writing a letter for my employers describing the condition and what I am able to do without worsening it. x

• Posted

You poor thing.  I was told not to lift more than 5 pounds in weight. 

I had to DEMAND to see an orthopedic surgeon.  I mean DEMAND in 'threatening' to contact my MP.  I did not have to as the GP quickly referred me.  I saw one within two weeks.  The orthopedic surgeon prescribed Pregabaline.  I took them for 9 months and they literally 'saved' my life.  I understand they are 'costly' but have only heard this from other people.  I have also been told that Gabapentin is similar but CHEAPER.  If it was not for Pregabaline I could not have carried on working. 

Remember, do not be AGGRESSIVE towards any staff at the GP's but be FIRM.  The sad thing is that GP's play a 'waiting' game, and while they do this we are in AGONY.  It took me over 6 weeks to get Co-codomol prescribed for pain; they also prescribed other useless medications, all costing money!!  It is like they are torturing us and enjoying it. 

I recently found out I have Fibromyalgia too.  I had to change GP practiceses in order to get the help i needed.  3 Doctors in my last practice failed to even try to find out what was wrong with me.  They were useless, actually less than.

Good luck!!  And keep posting for support!!

xx 

• Posted

hi jeannieMC i must be a lucky one as my GP is really good my other GP was good as well before he retired my GP now is what you would call on the ball he has time to talk to you and he LISTENS!!! to what you are saying and gives you time to explain your symptoms he refered me to pain management where i met some friends who i still see now and we go out once a month for lunch have a moan and to see what our GPs are doing as we all have different kinds of pain ie; some have what you have fibromyalgia and her GP did not listen to her some days she cant get out of bed!  some have ra (rhumatoid atheritis)sorry about spelling! i am on pregabalin to as well as morphime patches and oramorhp i always say there is always some one you can have a moan to that is in the boat as you and i think  it is this site smile  which some times i am grateful for there is a site for people with fibromyalgia if you want to put in your laptop or whatever you are using if thats any help so pleased you are sorted with your medication should not have to demand!!!

• Posted

Can't see the point in your GP recommending a physio before a scan or ultrasound. How the hell do they know what the problem is. Sounds like it maybe PolyMyalgiaRheumatica which no physio can treat. I had this happen and the physio old me it was pointless seeing him until I knew what the problem was. So many things can happen in that area. Insist on the scans, if not it can do even more damage . Good luck keep us informed.
    • Posted

i agree to some extent with you but as jeannieMC has changed GPs she might get the right diagnosis  but when you go to physio you know what you are capable of doing so all you have to say is sorry i cannot do that as it makes me worse then go back to your GP and explain to him/her that you cant do what they want you to do and then ask if there is some one you can see my. GP refered me to physio when they knew i had atheritis in neck and other medical problems! but when i explained  to physio she tried accupuncture because gentle exercise is good for artheritis.so i hope she gets the right support whatever the out come and we will be here to read her updates (hopefuly) and  she can have a good good old ramble rolleyes

• Posted

My dr was going to refer me for a scan but when she tried to the computer wouldn't let her, just flagged up physio before scan, however I really don't think 15 mins every 2 to 3 weeks is going to do anything! He is going to try accupunctre next.

• Posted

hi kats56 glad your GP is at least trying different things for you accupuncture might work for you at least you can try it might work who knows it might give you some respite from the pain because for me i will try anything once!!sad a little bit is better than nothing (or is that just me) have you asked your GP to refer you to a pain management clinic if there is a one near you? lets hope your GP gets her computersorted for ascan for you and you will find out one way or another why dont you ask your gp just to either write or phone for an appointment and see what she says anyway keep us informed about how you get on and if you want to moan just a click away!! thats what my friends and i do.we still have our pain but it feels good to moan now and againsmilerolleyes !!!  

• Posted

Thanks Jeanette tonight I am in agony after working my first proper shift in the cafe. I can't believe how heavy the job is, I don't know how I am going to cope. I have another 4 days to go yet and I'm dreading them!

• Posted

so sorry to hear you have had your first proper day and it did not go to well regarding your pain. you have my utmost sympathy you can try a warm bath and after some pain killers.i used to stand on my feet all day it was a killer at the end of the day all i wanted to do was crawl into bed the pain was awful!! in your neck( hubby always said i was a pain in neck wink )   going up into your head and down your arms.was your workmates able to help you out a little bit? if not why not go and see your manager (if you have one) and explain it to them what is wrong medicaly if you can? and they might be able to help you have lighter work if not tell your GP next time you see him/her and explain what is wrong so good luck and try and take it easy at work (well easy as you can) rolleyes 

• Posted

Hi Jeanette I've just come home after a manic Saturday in the cafe. I knew it was a busy place to work but was so unprepared for how busy. I started at 8 am and by 2pm I was struggling after taking meals out and clearing the tables. My neck and head were giving me gip and I also had pins and needles in my foot (that's new) However I took some painkillers and had my break and then I was in the kitchen on dishwashing. I thought that would be no good for me as it is a big dishwasher and your constantly on the go emptying and loading it. But it wasn't as bad as I thought and it gave me a bit respite from all the carrying.

As for letting the manager know about my condition, they already know and It doesn't make a bit of difference, I could manage fine in my previous dept but they still moved me. There has been multiple moves in the store and among those moved to heavier roles are mostly women in their sixties with medical conditions. This is a ploy to try and push us into retiring because they have to cut costs and the longer we stay the more pension they'll have to pay and also those of us who have worked for them for a while still get a premium for working Sundays and early mornings so they want rid of that! This is a very well known store o the high street and no-one would believe how they treat their workers. Sorry for the long ramble! lol

• Posted

hi kats56  ramble away  as much as you want    mad  have you thought about going on the sick? i have seen that a few times where they try to push the ones that have been there for a while(what they will do so not to pay out)!!! how did you feel after taking your painkillers? i worked in  a school kitchen for a while that was a struggle as well all the plates(not plastic trays as they have now) and the pans on top of that ohh i fell as though i had gone ten rounds with ali(and lost lol) i was for ever taking pain killers.but when ever i could i just stopped and had a breather.even if it was just a couple of minuets(if possible) i know cafes can be manic but if you could just do thethe lightest jobs and maybe if you could share them with the other people that works with you? you could maybe ask the other women with medical conditions to swap different jobs if you are not feeling well just to give each other a break? let me know how you are coping.remember it is not what you cant do its what you can.its little and often (well thats what my consultant says) thinking of you and hope to hear from you soon.my turn to ramblerolleyes     

• Posted

Hi Jeanette thanks for you comments. Painkillers helped a wee bit but I don't know if your the same but the nights are the worst as when lying down your neck is vulnerable. I had a bad night last night, tried to sleep but after an hour and a half had to sit up for a while and read until I felt I could drop off, I dozed on and off till about 4.30 then had to take more painkillers. I'll be rattling shortly! lol As for going on the sick....that is a big no no in our place. You get a warning if off for 8 or more shifts in a 26 week period and seeing I have already been off for 6 shifts due to spraining my ankle there's no way I can be off again. Once you get a warning it stays on your file for a year and you don't get any pay rise and if your off again its the sack! Hope your feeling ok at the moment. Thanks for taking the time to comment. xx

• Posted

hi kat56 sorry to hear you had a bad night. i have those too your firm does not sound that great to work for what does your union rep say if you have one? or the human resources(is that what they call them)lol surley if you have a sick  note not a lot they can do!! i am sure i seen it not sure if it was on this site but have you tried a rolled up towel?or go to a shop where they sell foam and try that the foam has different firmness so best totry it first (ie;get a small piece cut first) and try that under your neck towel might be a bit hard unless you try a small one first have you seen your GP about self medication as well as your own painkillers (check to see if you can first) i have seen my GP and consultant knows and i am ok doing it with my meds i try not to do it too much no matter how tempting when the pain gets youfrown some days you just seem to take painkillers after painkillers(hubby always says medication bag is nearly bigger than cases when we go away now)!!! lol sign of age!!! no problem always here for a chat sometimes tho i do ramble on a bit. i blame being blond! lol again hubby and kids say that to it is good just to have a chat have you thought about seeing your GP for pain managment clinic if there is a one near you?  they can be helpful well thanks for keeping in touch and reading my ramblings i hope they are of some help to you.  when do you go for accupuncture? take care at work xxrolleyessmile

• Posted

Aww thanks Jeanette, I have tried the rolled up towel and as you said it was too hard. I have been thinking of trying some foam. I will look for some when I'm out and about. Oh yes our firm ( as I said a well known company on the high street, you've probably bought some underwear or some food there.....not just any food but .....and ...... food! lol)  Doesnt matter if you've got a sick note or not. Three of my workmates were sacked last year, to be fair they were long term sick but it was all genuine. But that is the way now, its dog eat dog out there! x
    • Posted

ah yes i know the one!! lol i am pleased i am no longer in the situation now but i mst say the ones i used to work for were ok (going back a bit now) even only 59 some times i feel older!!lol if you find the right firmness for you at least you could take it with you if you go away im sure i seen it on this site or a site and some one wrote about the foam? so keep me updated to how you are going and will ramble on again later 

• Posted

hi kats56 just a few lines to see how you are doing? hope you are coping with work and the pain? just got laptop out and thought about you and how you keeping [well i  hope]!!smile cant sleep [again]!!!   had grand daughter over today and daughter/in/law [to be] getting married next year in cyprus! so something to look forward to.  so look forward to your reply xxrolleyes 

• Posted

Hi Jeanette Nice to hear from you, sorry to hear you can't sleep "again"...its a bummer. I can't remember the last time I slept through till morning! How about you? Gets worse as you get older lol. I'm on 3 days off from work go back on Friday. Yesterday I was so done in from 5 days in the cafe that it took me most of the day before I felt anywhere near human! Today I'm feeling much better so got a few jobs around the house done and some shopping. I also had a bad night last night just couldn't get a comfortable sleeping position for my neck.

How nice to have the a wedding in Cyprus to look forward to, that will be so lovely for you. Have you been before? I hear its really lovely. Well my DH has just made me apple crumble and custard so I'm away to eat it! Such a treat because we gave up sugar and all processed food but occasionally have a treat. Look forward to hearing from you, take care xxx

• Posted

hi kats56 pleased you have 3  days off work will do you the world  of good!! you just want to do little and often and you will feel the benefit,been having bother with hip[more than usual] had a facet joint injection 2months ago said it could make it easier or could make it worse!!! guess which one i ended up withsad??i have not been to cypress but son booked 2 days ago late deal just for a week[lovely]  taking the baby and daughter/ in/laws neice.any way have getting an emergency appointment next few days for hip(arthritis) age!!! lol  would lovea full nights sleep.hubby calls me the cat? i hope you enjoy your apple crumble and custard  and enjoy the rest of your days off and take care xxrolleyes

• Posted

hi kats56 hope you are well and coping with work and your pain.did you enjoy your few days off? i have been having a lot more pain with my hip so hospital has given me a quick appointment for GP.cant do nothing for arthiritis apart new hip and said to young!!! lol pleased i am to young for something!! are you back in the cafe at work or have you been moved where you can manage better?  i hope you enjoyed your apple crumble and custard lol take care and look forward to hearing from you soon xxxsmile      

• Posted

Hi Jeanette 43594

How is your hip? I hope your not in too much pain. My friend at work has hip pain and the same as you has been told too young for replacement. It doesn't really help your quality of life in the meantime though does it?

Have had 4 days off work but to be honest I've had all sorts of aches and pains and its only since going in the cafe! Its so heavy. My neck of course is the worst but I also have had a really bad back this week and shooting pains down my arm, I don't know if thats related to the Sponylosis or not, I'll ask at my next appointment which is next week.

Hope you had a good bank holiday and are not letting the pain get you down. Speak soon and take care of yourself.

xxxbiggrin

• Posted

hi kats56 good to hear from you again! glad you had four days off sorry to hear  about your neck ! it is all the lifting and standing does not help your back either! i think when you have a few days off that is when your aches and pains come to the fore.got a fast track appointment to see my pain consultant(just for him to say to young)AGAIN!!! and nothing else he can do.never mind had a good bank holiday how about you?good luck at next appointment.try some heat on your neck it might ease it.did you get in at a pain clinic?  anyway you take care and speak soon xxxbiggrinsmile

• Posted

Hi Jeanette sorry to hear theres nothing your consultant can do for you. Hope the pain is manageable. Its been good having 4 days off, I've enjoyed being at home. Your right I think about all the aches and pains coming out when you stop, I've had a really painful time this week. Back to work tomorrow 5 days in a row, I know that is not going to do me any good. Its just since I went in the cafe that I've started to feel so bad. I am awaiting a letter from my dr for work, should be getting it any day now then I'm going to have a word with my manager and ask her to refer me to the occupational health officer.

There's no way I am going to kill myself this weekend, they'll have to put up with it. after all its not my fault I'm there.

What pain killers have you for your hip? I hope you get some relief.

Take care hun, speak soon wink xx

• Posted

hi kats56 i am on morphine patches also oramorph(liquid morphine) pregabaline. pleased you enjoyed your days off. I am glad you are getting a letter from dr.hope it helps. i know its work but you want to sit and think because it is not worth it in the long run(been there done that)work will still be there if you are not! nothing is your fault pain or where you are at work things might be different when you see your dr just remember to take it easy and not to go mad it will get done eventually! what pain killers are you on?i am sorry to hear that you have had more aches and pains than usual. well take care and speak soon xxrolleyessmile             .

• Posted

Hi Jeanette

Hows things? Hope you are feeling ok this week and not in too much pain?

Today is my first day off after 5 hectic days in the cafe and I have been in agony. Two nights during the week I couldn't sleep for the pain and had to prop myself up in bed with pillows to try and get some relief and again last night was more or less the same. Before I went to bed I took 2 co-codomol, naproxin and amyltriptiline but didn't help so about 3.30 I took a tramadol and sat propped up for about 2 hours waiting for it to kick in but it wasn't that helpful.

I have physio tomorrow and I am going to go back to drs to ask for a scan. I have given my manager the letter from the drs and she is arranging an interview with occupational health. Thats my moan of the night....lol.  Hows things with you? Hope your ok xx

• Posted

Hi kat same as usual up nearly all night with pain pain all day pleased you are off. dont seem to have time to get your pain eased with working all the time do you.vicious circle!! maybe you will get some where with physio and the letter from your GP?going on holiday on saturday(staycation) as they say now lol still taking laptop so will be able to stay in touch to seehow you came on at physio!!! going with hubby(of course) but also M/I/L and S/I/L!!!!! glutton for  punishment!!! LOLrolleyes had some sad news dear friend of ours died monday lives across the road from us and known them for 30odd yrs (cancer) he only found out 2wks ago!!! so that was a shock still taking painkillers still not working.hope it works out for you with occupation health? does the heat not work for you? good job it does get dark as i would be worse than i am now for wandering around the house!! well i have had a long moan and a bit ramble  so i hope you are ok and good luck with physio xxsmile 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.