Working with Panic attacks and anxiety?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Anyone on here struggle with constant panic/anxiety attacks, when going/at work?

It seems that whenever I got to go to work I have very aggressive panic attacks, my heart starts fluttering, or thumping aggressively, my legs shake and I feel like I'm going to pass out, and I have this awful feeling something bad is going to happen.

I find work incredibly stressful these days and my job is on the go all the time. I use to love it, but I find it exhausting now. As soon as I get there I'm counting down for the time I can go home.

My bosses have not been supportive one little bit, all I get is "you need to get over this, its getting ridiculous now." Its got to the point now where I hardly talk to anyone when I go, I just have a panic attack, keep my head down and go home.

I thought opening up about it at work would be more helpful but its just made things worse.

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

I'm so sorry to hear this. They have a duty of care and anxiety disorders are recognised under the disability discrimination act. What sort of organisation is it? Can you talk to the HR dept or a trade union rep? Or you could go to citizens advice or ACAS. Have you spoken to your doctor? You need support and some help.

Take care

• Posted

Thank you for your reply.

Its a private company, so I don't really know if there's anything I can do?

I've seen a doctor and had tests done, he's referd me to a Cardiologist which was back in October, my counsellor got into contact with them the other week, because its been weighing heavily on my mind and my appointment should be next month, she told me by my blood work if it was urgent they would have seen me straight away.

I had a good couple of weeks last month, but now my anxiety and panic have crept back up, the only time I feel OK is when I'm at home. Work seems to be a major problem right now. This has been going on for nearly a year now. My work know the situation and I suffered a loss in the family nearly 2 years ago, its left quite a mark on me. X

• Posted

My suggestion is to take up Yoga. Yoga classes will teach you how to breathe slowly and more completely allowin more oxygen into your lungs and allow you to feel more energized. Either that or meditation, which also focuses on your breathe and centres your mind so that you can control your breathing and the chaos in your mind. Both these classes are useful in learning to control your breathing in times of panic attacks so that you can control your own mindful state.
    • Posted

Thanks Gail.😊 I do Karate, we do a lot of breathing techniques in that, to focus the mind, body and soul. If I catch it in time, its easy to concentrate but sometimes not so much. Something I'm still working on. 😊
  • Posted

Hiya

I completely understand what you are going through, i was in work the other day and had a panic attack...

My boss laughed at me because my face was so flush... sad

I try to exercise and keep busy...

But to be honest im really struggling at the minute to keep it under control...

I think the more you talk about it, it can help because it helps me, maybe try and see a counsellor once a week, or see the doctor...

Take care smile

• Posted

That's terrible Nadene! sad Should never have laughed at you.

I was seeing a counselor, and I'm have bereavement counseling soon, I've also got a medical review coming up to dig deeper into what is going on because I've been so up and down this past year.

Seeing a Cardiologist has been weighing heavily on my conscious, and its since then my anxiety and panic have gotten worse.

How long have you been dealing with yours for? Xx

• Posted

Hi,

Ive recently been signed off work because of having panic attacks and my anxiety just got too much for me, i went to the docters and they decided to try me on some different meds (fluoxetine), but i also take 80mg a day of propranolol, which help with physical symptoms but dont last long. My advice is to go back to your docter and get some meds to help you and maybe they could suggest you having some time off work if you think that would help, people aren't usually understanding about this kind of illness because they dont have it themselves so to them they think youre just being stupid when the panic attacks happen. I definetely think i started to annoy people at work with the way i was acting when i could feel an attack coming on.

Hope things work out for you, take care x

• Posted

Hi, I've recently come of medication as I found it was making me a lot worse. The doctors switched me from one to the other last year, and I think my body has had enough of it now, I've been on medication on/off for bad bouts every now and then since I was 18, never really had a problem, 2 weeks of side effects and I be fine after that, back to my normal self, but this time my body has been rejecting it. I do feel better for being without it, I've definitely noticed a difference. Now if only I could get these panic attacks and Anxiety under control.

Yes, I found out people weren't very understanding when I gave my boss my sick note just before Christmas, and he asked me "Wouldn't I rather be at work than be sitting around crying and being depressed at home." They even told me a few weeks back that they thought I was making the whole thing up until I showed them my hospital letters, because one person that I thought I could trust was actually trying to get me sacked because of it. So its been a tough few weeks to say they least.

Thanks for you advice. Xxx

• Posted

Pills can only do so much Arya, you need to take action yourself and deal with your problems, as no one else is going to do it for you. Go to the library and read up about relaxation principles through yoga or meditation. This will help you enormously.
    • Posted

I'm very much aware of that Gail, and I have been taking action by continuing to do, Karate, swimming (things I love the most) and continuing with everyday life, so I have been making huge steps in my recovery, I'm also seeing a bereavement counsler soon, I went to work tonight and actually had a great night smile I'm also going to a yoga class next week too. smile Day at a time. Xxx
    • Posted

Well done Arya I am so proud of you. Talking to someone about your problems really does help because you can listen to yourself relate your problems to another person. Then you can listen to yourself and often try and understand how to help yourself. That is why counselling is so beneficial because you can listen to yourself relate your problems. It is often good therapy in helping yourself. I have found this very beneficial for myself as I tell  my dog how my day went. He just wags his tail and listens. So do I and then I figure out how to fix what went wrong!

Gail

• Posted

Hi,

Can relate to you here. I don't work due to my panic attacks being severe and i know how hard it is when i feel anxious at home so at work must be 2x as stressful. I had group sessions at the priory a few years ago & so many people shared their problems at work with people not understanding, not being sympathetic or supportive to their anxiety. It makes me angry that your bosses could say such things to you. Some people have no empathy. I think you're very brave to go in to work every day and to fight through anxiety as i know how crippling it is. My legs also shake and i find it hard to breathe properly and it's horrible to have to experience it. Have you thought about counselling?

• Posted

Hi Claire.

Thank you, sorry to hear what you have been through, hope your ok.

There are days when I do want to quit, because like you said it is extremely crippling. I don't think people understand how exhausting it is, fighting through all the symptoms that you experience and how overwhelming it can be. It makes me want to run in 6 different directions lol! Sounds lame, but I always find singing a little tune to myself helps or a really good cry. Yep, I am receiving counseling at the moment, been diagnosed with OCD and PTSD as well, and still waiting to see a berevment counselor soon. My family and friends are always telling me that I'm doing much better than I think I am. But when your having attacks, they can make you feel defeated and it can be incredibly lonely. Xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.