Worried

Posted , 5 users are following.

Saw GP on Monday who prescribed Mitrazapine 15mg for insomnia. Monday night slept like a baby, bit groggy following morning but having had good sleep was wonderful! However, took it again last night and no effect, just lay there and it is so frustrating, I really thought I had found something that could help me at last. Can anyone help or advise?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Lisie,

It's early days, they may take a while to settle into your system. Has GP prescribed this only for insomnia or do you have underlying depression/anxiety/stress which is affecting your sleep pattern? If it is only to help you sleep it may not be the right treatment for you. Has your GP explained the other effects of Mirtazapine? It stimulates the appetite and can lead to dramatic weight gain in many people. Higher doses won't aid sleep, in fact they can cause heightened anxiety, so if 15mg is considered not to be working for your insomnia, it may not be the one for you. I don't mean to sound alarming but I wasn't given this information, it was a new drug when I was started on it. 10+ yrs and 4 stone later I'm coming off it for my well being.

• Posted

Like any medication it can take time to work to its full effectiveness but usually it will start working on your sleep pretty quickly. Just hang in there and give it a chance and see how you do after taking it for a while.
  • Posted

Hi Lisie, make sure you take it on an empty stomach ams at least am hour before planning to sleep. I take it for insomnia however can't get over the hangover feeling the next day. I was also prescribed Pregabalin at night so double drowsiness!!. Mirtazapine is good for sleep and I'd try it with hot drink, empty stomach, a little earlier and hopefully you'll get a good night's sleep again. If it doesn't work try 1 and half ie 22.5, I suppose it depends on what you've been prescribed before, your size ie I'm a larger person, been on most things and last night for the first time tried 30mg. However I'm too hungover today to do anything so it's not maintainable which is a good job I'm not working currently due to health problems. I hope the 15mg works but watch the weight ams increased appetite. Good luck.

• Posted

Thank you so much for your replies.  I was given this medication for anxiety which was being caused by my not being able to sleep, I was getting more and more wound up at night.  I took 15mg last night just before going to bed so tonight will ensure I take it an hour before bed and on an empty stomach.    I am one of these people who worry about everything so was full of anxiety when it didn't work last night.  Thanks for your advice and support, it is greatly appreciated.

• Posted

Lisie,

I was given it to me for the same reason and they might up your dose eventually if they want to treat your anxiety with it. The lower doses are usually more sedating but the higher doses help with sleep also. Good luck and I wish the best for you going forward.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.