Worried

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi. First time on here but looking for some advice.

My father has had Nephortic Syndrome for many years and it has been well contolled for several.  However 4 days he had to have emergency heart stents fitted and it would seem that the dye used during the proceedure has damaged his kidneys!.  Having read up about this online it seems this is a potential side effect of the dye and it can be fatal in patients with kidney problems. The hospital have him on a drip of saline to flush his kindeys out and an ultrasound is being done later today but they have said even over night they has been some deteriation.

Has anyone any experience of this??

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hello Colette, So sorry to hear about your father and the fact that you are understandably worried.  I do not have any experience of this situation, but hopefully someone else will be able to help you.  Nephrotic Syndrome can often mean that the kidneys are functioning fine, but that there is a protein loss which needs to be controlled.  Hopefully that is the case with yoru father, and then the damage to the kidneys could only be temporary.  I had an emergency hospital stay last year, and some of the relapse and subsequent treatment caused liver problems and  scarring to my kidneys, but did not cause permanent damage to either.  Wishing your father a speedy recovery.  Is he in the same hospital which treats him for his nephrotic syndrome, and if so, is his nephrologist involved in his recovery treatment?    Best wishes from Colet!
  • Posted

Hello Colette,

How is your father doing?  I see you posted 12 days ago. My husband had that dye used for other reasons and it also damaged his kidneys that were already not doing well.  That really hosed them up.  His numbers starting in creeping in the positive direction after about 4 months of strict mediterranean diet and proper daily fluids.  Never give up hope.  Long long road.  Prayers are with you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.