Worried

Posted , 7 users are following.

hi the doctors said i have ibs and started me months ago on gastric med but i dont suffer from gas or wind my pain is right at top of stomach never goes away now its very painful barley eaten for 6 days if i do i have to run to the loo the people i have spoke to with ibs dont suffer with pains 24/7 and i have lost a stone in a week

0 likes, 35 replies

35 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I have literally just commented on your previous post. But to add I have had pains 24/7 for many months/years and needing to run toiliet up to 6/7 times a day. There had being times i had walked to my local shops and needed to turn round half way there and get home asap. It is debilitating for sure.

I also know if you are constipated you cam get pains also which can be severe even replicate heart attack pain

• Posted

no a go to loo every 2 days but most people a have spoken to says thats to high up for ibs plus they not in agony 24/7 thanks tom

• Posted

A quick search on google and you will find many who suffer constipation and suffer chest pains, this is from the first page I clicked on:

"Chest pain is not always due to a heart attack. There are many causes of chest pain, some are harmless and others are dangerous. I am not going into that detail. Instead, I will explain the relationship between constipation and chest pain.

When you are constipated, the stools accumulate in the large bowel and the rectum. That causes increased bacterial activity that produces lots of wind. The gas stretches the intestinal wall that can cause pain and bloating. You normally feel the pain in the abdomen.

Sometimes, you may feel the pain in the chest also. The reason is, some organs in the abdomen and chest share the same nerve supply. This type of pain is called referred pain. It is similar to the radiating pain to the left arm when people have a heart attack.

The elevated intra-abdominal pressure caused by the faecal accumulation may aggravate acid reflux. In this condition, the acid in the stomach moves into the gullet (Oesophagus). That causes inflammation of the gullet and a burning type of chest pain.

Chronic constipation makes you strain more when you empty the bowels. Straining means contraction of abdominal and chest muscles. Increased workload to the chest muscles can cause pain in the chest wall. In addition, your chest wall may feel tender to touch.

Excessive straining can cause bulging of intervertebral discs. It usually happens in the lower back. That is why chronic constipation causes lower back pain. Similarly, the slipped discs can happen in the thoracic vertebra. It may cause pinching of nerves. Then you will get chest pain."

I hope this helps

• Posted

thanks again tom i dont suffer from consapation am at wits end tho thanks again for getting back to me x

• Posted

For IBS pain, you need an antispasmodic and I would try a food diary to see what foods are causing you to run to the loo. I have IBS, and when it started, I had 24/7 pain of varying intensity that moved all over my abdomen. There is no one size fits all with IBS; everyone experiences it differently. Is the gastric med you were given an antispasmodic? If it doesn't work, ask your doctor for a different antispasmodic; you may have to try several. I had to try two because the first one upset my stomach and didn't do anything for my pain.

• Posted

thank you a will do my pain stays in same place has never moved hopefully it sorts out soon xx

• Posted

thank you a would understand more if the the pain moved and if a had cramps like you do with ibs but a just dont have any of that its stuck in the middle feels like its tugging and sharp you have bern helpful thank you xx

• Posted

Hi Pippa, when your ibs first started, where was your 24/7 pain at? Do you still have your gallbladder? I've had constant pain for over two months. The pain is in my ribs, sides, upper abdomen and back. My doctor has prescribed ibs medication but it doesn't help.

• Posted

My pain was all over my abdomen and shifted around to both sides of my abdomen, middle, and my lower back. The pain lasted three and half months because of the constant stress of no diagnosis. Once diagnosed, my pain changed to come and go pain with long remissions as my anxiety decreased.

If you have only tried one IBS medication and it doesn't work, you will need to go back to your doctor and ask for a different antispasmodic. Often you need to try several to find the one that suits you. I had to try two because the first one really upset my stomach and didn't improve my symptoms. This quite common with IBS treatments because everyone reacts differently. and there is no one treatment that works for everyone. I still have a gallbladder.

• Posted

i do not have my gallbladder. My back pain is in kidney area and in between my shoulder blades.

• Posted

what medication has worked for you and how were diagnosed with ibs? Did you have pain in your rib area and were you sick to your stomach and with a loss of appetite?

• Posted

Buscopan and painkillers work for me and I was diagnosed with IBS after a urine test, ultrasound , fecal calprotectin, an h pylori stool test and celiac blood test were negative. I have had nausea with my IBS almost to the point of vomiting but I never have done so. When my IBS started, I thought I had a stomach bug. Nausea can also occur due to the intensity of the pain. I have never had loss of appetite or ribcage pain as a result of IBS although some people do experience this.My only experience with ribcage pain was with a different condition called costochondritis . Lack of appetite can occur if certain foods trigger IBS. flare ups.

• Posted

i no longer have a gallbladder and i have pain that started in my upper right abdomen below the rib cage then moved to the middle and left and i had pain in between my shoulder blades in the back i was diagnosed with gastritis and GERD via endoscopy then i had a clear ultrasound because my pain started to go all over the place and now i have a pretty significant pain in my lower right back where the kidney would be located, im also 20 weeks pregnant but have never experienced lack of appetite or nausea except in my first trimester. i have never been diagnosed with ibs and still worry all the time if i have something worse

• Posted

the stomach pain is off and on. and the back pain is only when im in certain positions like if i stand up and straighten my back it really hurts.

• Posted

buscapan make my stomach worse it will be a week today since a have been able to eat

• Posted

Ask your doctor about the possibility that your hiatus hernia is causing your stomach trouble. If it is, you may need to adjust your diet to keep symptoms at bay. For me, Buscopan is very mild and causes me me no trouble at all. This is a relief for me because a lot of prescribed medicines cause me bad reactions. However, everyone is different.

• Posted

If you are in the UK, Buscopan can be bought over the counter. I also take anti inflammatories sparingly and only if I need more pain relief.

• Posted

to be honest to doctor dont even feel my tummy giving it another few days if a still cant eat they will have to do something my weigh just dropping off the bit that gets me nothing makes the pain easier sitting lying down is worse x

• Posted

My doctor felt my stomach but it didn't help him diagnose me. Since you are not eating and losing weight, I wouldn't wait a few days; I would see your doctor straightaway.

• Posted

its hard to see your doctor here if you phone for an appointment you have to wait 2 weeks xx

• Posted

Do you have a walk in centre near you? You can be seen much quicker there. I go to one and you can simply go in on spec without an appointment and wait to be seen. I have done this and the most I have waited is five minutes. I am also registered at the walk in clinic.

• Posted

no we dont have one you can phone in morning but never any appointments and because its on going got to see my own doctor

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.