Worried 7 wks after Rectocele op

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have a 42 old history of prolapse organs and surgeries. I’m seven weeks into my second rectocele op. Had one 20 years ago also had a cystocele 20 years ago and the 2nd latest one of those again last year! . I had a bladder lift it failed soon after many years ago . Ive also had a hysterectomy because of uterus prolapse. I am always a little bit worried about the recovery process. Ive been trying to behave myself after this one as well. unfortunately straight after I got home I got a chest infection and also an infection in the surgery site and was on antibiotics for three weeks . Being 7 weeks and I’m hoping I can do a few more things . Had to wash the floor today because of an ant problem overnight and it was getting quite dirty. I only used a light Velada mop it wasn’t a heavy but I’m worried that I have done too much at this stage. Can everyone give me a little bit of assurance that it would be okay to do these sort of things at7 weeks in. I get really worried . i’ve been reading up as much as I can on the restrictions and I know they say you don’t completely heal in the deep tissues until 12 weeks but I’m hoping we can do a few things that we need to do around the house like that

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

hi Rose. Hope you are doing ok is there a reason you worry about overdoing it? Any new pain? I had anterior repair three years and and sacro hyteropexy and posterior repair on 16th December (4hr op abd have permanent suture and mesh). I have used light broom a couple of times and same age as you!

Personally I don't think occasonally mopping floor would be an issue 7 weeks after op. I am guessing proceedure was performed through vagina so no stomach wound which may still be healing? Even for my op it says you can swim if bleeding stopped at 2-4 weeks which would involve some twisting?

Take care

• Posted

Hi Rose have re read your post and says you also had hysterectomy and I missed that. Sounds like you have been through it with infections and if you had a cough that may have pulled on the incision. Hoping it's healed up ok now. Other advice I had suggested you could do light housework when discharged, but don't lift more than 5kgs for about 12 weeks

• Posted

Hi there Helen,

thanks so much for your kind reply. I really appreciate it.

To answer your question .. yeah I had the surgery vaginially . I’m not really getting pain now after I do things maybe a few little weird niggles at times . It just feels quite fragile and I suppose I worry.

Thanks re the restriction info on lifting 5 kg... yeah I definitley haven’t been lifting anything more than 2 kg if I can help it .

it’s just really hard to decipher information that you read on the Internet about it all for every day life like ... just one thing .. having to wind up hoses on the hose reel after you do watering ect . after I do something like that I think to myself , was that too much of a strain on my pelvic floor?

I had to strip the bed today too. I tried to be very careful though. It was hard to pull the doona off the floor as it was pretty heavy so you try to do things very carefully and slowly I suppose ! I never worry at all about tucking the blankets in because the mattress is too heavy anyway

. I find bending down difficult as well .. a lot of pressure . I do have home help set in place but they’re on holidays for a few weeks now.

sounds like youve been through quite a bit with all

the surgerys as well . I do hope that all goes well for you too. Have you got anyone around to call in for help at times with things? I' m on my own so it can get a bit overwhelming at times .

Thanks again for your advice and encouragement . 😃

(from Australia)

• Posted

hi there I guessed re doona you were in Aus I am in uk and advice may differ. my consultant advised me to look at bsug leaflets which are good (british society uro gynacology) so you could look there.

I an not on own so haven't done much yet. i need it to work this time!

don't overdo it it will be worth it x

• Posted

Hi again , I'll check that info out. thanks for that. So your in the Uk .. ha! yeah you recognised I said doona because I think you say duvet over there don’t you.

i’m glad to hear that you aren’t on your own and that you have some help. It certainly makes a difference having someone there to take a bit of the load off. My gynaecologist doesn’t do the mesh thing. I think you said that it was a four hour operation so that’s a very big thing for you to go through. Take care and look after yourself.

• Posted

oops i read wrong again you have had 42 years of issues poor thing.....I am 42!!!!!!

• Posted

Oh ..yeah ! had my first child at 18 years old. I’m 60 now . unfortunately I had a very incompetent doctor. When the baby was coming out of the birth canal he pierced my waters at that late stage and when the baby came out he rushed out with too much force and it was like my guts were being pulled out! from that moment on I had urinary stress incontenince (bladder prolapsed ) and it all started happening from there. I went back to him a few months after and he embarrassed me so much (I was just a teenage young mum and he asked me questions very abruptly ) about it I didn’t get anything done for 20 years after that. But the bladder left failed anyway

• Posted

I went to see my surgeon yesterday for my 8 week checkup... He said that I must continue all restriction for 4 more weeks. She has said it is imperative to not over do due to the healing process of the scar tissue. I still had the stitches present in deep tissue and she stated it can take up to 6 months for them to dissolve completely. I personally don't think you have over done it but I wouldn't continue doing strenuous work until after your surgeon or at least 12 weeks out. I wouldn't want to ruin a good operation over something that can wait... Good luck and I am so sorry you have had to go through so much at the beginning of your healing process with infections.

• Posted

Hi there Sandie ,

thanks for sharing your experience and information as well.

I don’t see my gynaecologist till the first week in February because of the Christmas holidays so I’m hoping after the examination everything will be okay. He's always gives me the no lifting advice and not to over do it as well. Yes you’re right we don’t want to go through all this pain and inconvenience for nothing that’s for sure! so it’s definitely worth struggling on and doing the right thing. I will be more conscious of being careful from now on.

thanks again for your thoughts. It’s nice for women to be able to support each other even when they’re total strangers and from different countries .

Take care of yourself too .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.