Worried about a brain tumour

Posted , 15 users are following.

ive had headaches for about 4 weeks.  The optician did a full test and couldn't see anything and when I went to see my GP she did a full neuro test and said everything was ok.  I think she is only doing an MRI to reassure me, but I hav not been reassured and still think I have a tumour.  Any help would be appreciated

1 like, 120 replies

120 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I've been getting pains in a specific part of my head, and I have brain fog symptoms(short term memory loss, some difficulty reading, mixing up words, etc). I'm 18, I got an MRI a year ago, which is sort of a long time ago in regards to how much things can change in that time. Do you think these could be possible brain tumor symptoms?
    • Posted

Obviously I am not a doctor so I can't say yes or no.  What I did is I went to the opticians and had my eyes tested and asked for retinal photography it can sometimes pick up pressure behind the eyes.  I will give you an example.  A colleague went to the opticians for a general eye test she had no symptoms.  He did a test behind the eye and immediately sent her to A+E where they did find a tumour.  Why did you have an MRI a year ago. Stress could also bring on certain symptoms.  Get it checked out.  Make sure you tell the optician your concerns.   Remember headaches are very common brain tumours are not.   I am here if you want to talk
    • Posted

Currently I am in college, but I'm thinking I could go to the student health center and complain about my symptoms. I have this pressure, not quite a headache, just a feeling as if something is causing pressure in a specific spot in my head, and that's why I'm worried. I've also had horrible brain fog(short term memory isn't great, occasionaly trouble forming sentences, and just thinking overall is not as prominent as it used to be. Not sure if it's stress or something worse... Thank you for your response.
    • Posted

Phoebe,

Sorry to pick up on this thread after such a long time, but I'm having similar symptoms to what you had and I'm going out of my mind with worry that I've got a tumour. My headache doesn't keep me awake at night and it's not normally present first thing in the morning but it gradually starts once I'm up.

I also have a lighthearted feeling which bothers me quite abit and I was worrying whether it was connected in any way???

• Posted

i have had headaches for about a month on and off not constant i did have a constant one i had a sinus infection which i took antibiotics for and the headache and eye pain went away no wim having occasional headaches mainly later in the day but normally i wake up and worry i have a headache which probably brings on the headaches due to me worrying about having a brain tumor i have had an eye check with the renital photography it is standard eye check procedure in the uk and there werre no issue though i do need glasses as my left eye is weaker than the right and she thinks it might help as i use the computer a lot do you think my headaches could be brought on by anxiety and sinus congestion as i still have mucus in my ears and also a blocked nose and feel a bit runned down and tired im just so worried would a sinus infection stick around after a course of antibiotics though idk no other symtoms are present apart from headaches and feeling a bit runned down any response are appreciated just wondering what you guys think had a neuroligal exam like 2 weeks ago aswell and he said all was fine and he was not concerned about a brain tumor at all in my case though that was 2 weeks ago or maybe 3 thanks anyway
    • Posted

im 20 btw which is probably why im worried about this i know brain tumors are rare anyway and in my age group they are basically unheard of like 300 cases a year in the uk overall health anxiety is crazy sad
    • Posted

If you had a neuro exam and it was clear you are fine.  Also the standard eye test will pick up any pressure behind your eyes.  It sounds to me like a mixture of sinus problems and too long on the computer.  Stress is a big factor.  Have you told your GP your concerns.  Take care
    • Posted

yeah i have thank you for the reply so soon it helps a lot you sound really smart and knowalgble about these sort of issues, yeah i have told him serveral times of my concerns and he says anxiety stress and sinus issues can cause all of these issues i am having espeically as i am worrying about the headaches he has provided me some anxiety medication to take and set me up some counciling to try which i will be starting soon so hopefully it will help. You take care aswell smile
    • Posted

Cognitive Behaviour Therapy might help.  You have done the right thing to get it checked out.  Doctors know what to look for.  I have health anxiety so I have been down this road
    • Posted

yeah i know thats what i try to tell myself every day and i know that there would be other symtom present with a brain tumor and it is a very specific type of headache which is caused thank you for your help anyway health anxiety is very hard to overcome i think cbt will help a lot or im hoping so 
    • Posted

Sertraline i think its called i take it once a day been taking it for about 1 - 2 weeks
    • Posted

This is a good drug for anxiety and depression but it may take a few weeks to take affect but once it kicks in you will notice the difference.  I am going to bed know but message me again if you want a chat and don't go talking to Dr Goodle
    • Posted

haha i won't thank you for the help take care and sleep well smile 
    • Posted

Today has been really hard so far I wake up thinking I have a headache I just have these random pains in my head I'm not sure if it's a headache idk what to do finding it really hard to cope with not knowing what is causing it idk how much longer I can cope with the worry tbh
    • Posted

One of the problems I think is that your focusing so much on it.   This can make things worse.  How long have you been on sertraline?   Could you ask the doctor to send you to a neurologist or to arrange a CT scan would that ease your mind.  Remember if you have health anxiety reassurance is normally short lived

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.