Worried about appointment tomorrow

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am 7 weeks post op of ORIF on my left ankle. I was moved from cast to a boot 2 weeks ago and I am still not weight bearing. My foot is swollen and a bit red which is what is worrying me. If I elevate my leg and ice it the swelling does go down some. But I am also worried about the redness which I am hoping is from how dry and raw my skin is getting from having to be wrapped and in the boot at all times. I also would like to know I’d this normal for you guys? Also when did you start being able to bear weight??

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I was in cast for 7 weeks post op (ORIF), when the cast came off I struggled to weight bear due to lack of movement in the joint. It took me till about 10 weeks post op to be able to stand on it sill with crutches, then at 15 weeks I was walking unaided without a limp. I still don’t have the full range of movement back but am still undergoing physio. 
  • Posted

Hi Briann

i was able to start weight bearing after my 7 week post op appointment on March 23rd. I still have redness and swelling and my physical therapist told me that while the redness will actually start to dissipate in time, I can expect some level of swelling for months as my soft tissue continues to heal. To clear the dead skin, soak your foot in a bucket of warm soapy water for 20 minutes and then very gently rub it with a cloth or washer. Gentle rubbing is key as the new skin underneath is sensitive.This will remove the dead skin which is also quite normal. After drying with a towel,  massage foot and ankle with bio oil or moisturiser. It will feel amazing.

i have been partial weight bearing for a week with a walking frame and am increasing weight bearing again this week walking in shoes rather than the boot. Make an appointment with a physical therapist to help you with this process. You will be amazed how quickly you progress once you start weight bearing. A red letter day when you can stand on your two feet again without pain! 

• Posted

Hey Brian,

I understand your consternation about swelling and discoloration in your injured ankle.

If it is any consolation you are in good company. After an ankle trauma (and especially after a surgery for it) swelling, bruising, and pain are badges that go with this challenge for many, many of us.

It sounds like you are icing and elevating that foot, so you are doing some tried and true treatments. There is plenty more you can do to address all that (lots of advice was offered on this forum no need to rehash it here).

As far as transitioning to weight-bearing, it all depends on a bewildering number of variables. However, a benchmark time frame for most patients without complications seems to be partial weight-bearing at about 6 weeks post-fracture (or post-surgery as the case may be) while in boot, and then full weight-bearing in boot two weeks later, and after that you go into regular shoes.

• Posted

Hi briann 

6 weeks post op i was allowed to do toe touches. then i started partial weight bearing 9 weeks post op.  now depending on how your bones are healing they could let you go partial weight bearing or weight bear as tolerated. the foot will be swollen for awhile even when you start walking. im already 12 weeks and my foot still turns dark whenever its not elevated. it improves as time goes by.  The swelling, discoloration etc all normal according to the three doctors ive asked and everything ive read online. hope everything goes well in your appointment. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.