Worried about being able to attend university.

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi, In one week i am back at uni for second year. But i don't know if i will be able to attend lectures. When i get anxious i feel sick and i constantly worry that i will be sick in the lecture from anixety. So i don't want to go t lectures but i really need to. What can i do to help myself?

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi there

Have you spoken to your GP?

Look into 'exposure' therapy. You can go to lectures for a small amount of time at first, and keep extending the time you're there until you're comfortable.

I hope this helps

X

• Posted

Just as Holly t says, go to your GP and explain to them what's going on.  If there's a campus medic it would be worth talking to them.  Exposure therapy sounds good and although it might seem embarrasing it's worth trying to explain what's happening to your lecturers (even if it's by email).  I'm sure they'll be understanding and that way you'll know that if you need to leave the class you can do so without haveing to explain why.  That should take some of the pressure off.  In the longer term though it would be good to see a therapist to see if you can get phobia counselling.
  • Posted

What causes your anxiety?  is it fear of groups or worry about the subject matter?

maybe you are getting excess stomach acid production that makes you think you will be sick - classic symptom of anxiety.  Have you been sick before in lectures?

Richard

• Posted

Hi Bammond I would go see a gp. If I just realised I suffered from anxiety and got help earlier would have saved myself a lot of grief and bad times. He might give you something for the anxiety to try and can help relax you. Id give it a try and just sit at the back if you feel worse then leave.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.