Worried about breast cancer

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hi, I'm 50 but still having regular periods.

On my last but one, I noticed a large lump in my right breast, I thought it was maybe something to do with my period, so I waited to see if it went away. It didn't so, I went to see my doctor, who has referred me to my local breast clinic for a mammogram and a biopsy.

My worry is that after looking breast lumps online, I'm not sure where I stand.

I've had three children (no complications), all between the ages of 23 and 30, I breastfed them all, as I said I'm still having regular periods, but I didn't start until I was nearly 16, I'm 50 so don't really fall into late onset menopause, I'm quite active, I eat healthily, I don't smoke, but I do drink wine.

My lump seemed to appear from nowhere, it's about 5cm long on top, feels quite bumpy, but it also seems to move about when I touch it or if my breast is in a different position.

My dilemma is, it's nearly 2 weeks since I went to see the doctor and I haven't heard back from the clinic, so not sure if that's good or bad.

By all accounts I'm too old to have a fibroadenoma, but I have no other symptoms, other than the lump, which removes all the other benign possibilities as they're all painful.

I'm also getting over a frozen shoulder, on the right side and I've read that breast cancercan cause them.

So sorry to prattle on, but I'm just so worried.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

When my missus was diagnosed with BC she heard from them within a few days of the biopsy. Maybe talk to your GP smile
  • Posted

Hi House,

cheers for the answer, I haven't had the biopsy yet, just waiting to hear back from the clinic for an

appointment, just don't know it this is good or bad, called my health centre this morning - as my doctor had

said to call anytime if I needed to talk - left a message and was told she would ring later, but she didn't get

back to me, just got through complaining about them misdiagnosing my frozen shoulder, and now this!

• Posted

If it's any reassurance, except where it has progressed substantially (and you'd also maybe be feeling terrible) BC tumours are (very generally speaking) really quite small and they certainly don't spring up relevantly overnight (though of course there's always exceptions). If you feel otherwise perfectly fine then that's good smile
  • Posted

Thanks ever so much for this reply, you have no idea how much it's helped. I rang my breast clinic this

morning to try and find out when I'm likely to be seen, and I was told they needed to check something and

would ring me back quickly, that was over 3 hrs ago, and I'm still waiting. So once again thank you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.