worried about cancer

Posted , 4 users are following.

just recenttly i have had an MRI which says that my brain was fine but they have incidentally found that my pituitary gland is bigger than what it should be.for a few months i have felt unwell but doctors put it down to anxiety. my symptoms keep changing but for now they have stayed with a weak feeling in my left arm and leg, fatigued, tired, irritable, achy feeling in shoulders sometimes,my periods have been slightly earlier (this could be due to implant being taken out and messed them up) i seem to cry alot and worry too. i am so worried that i could have a cancerous tumour on my gland as it is bigger. someone help me please.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

The one good thing about pituitary gland issues is that they are never cancer. Never. However having said that, the little gland sure does a doozy on many people, including thyroid issues, Cushings Disease and a few others. The fact you had your implant taken out is obviously going to take a while for your natural hormones to settle down. Bit like PMS that doesn't stop for a while. How long ago was it removed and how long did you have it in? What reason did you have the MRI for in the first place? What did the doctor say about the slightly enlarged gland?
    • Posted

It was ages ages ago, more than six months ago.

I do have symptoms of cushings disease which now im petrified of because im scared of them leaving it too late.. I have a rounded face and noticed ages ago that i have a fatty lump on the back of my neck. Ive felt so ill since i found out about my gland being bigger.

The doctor said he will do blood tests on thyroid and glucose which was done yesterday, im so scared that i might die as theyve only just found the gland after months or maybe years but ive just never had symptoms...

• Posted

Instead of making a new post, I'll just continue on my old one. I had a secomd mri sayong that no tumour is there but my gland is slightly bigger. Im freaking out now about adrenal cancer as it seems to be the only likely cause I can think of for me not feeling great and having slight symptoms of cushings.

My thyroid was very slightly under which they said was fine and my glucose was normal. I also went to see and endo who said I shouldn't be worried and did more blood tests; this was two weeks ago and still no results rolleyes

• Posted

Hi Emily,

I am so sorry you are going through this issue and wish it would'nt happen to anyone. I am also worried about cancer but my GP will not refer me for an MRI do you know what I can do to resolve this?

• Posted

Just keep going I guess. Or take it as the doctors haven't seen anything abnormal for them to send you. For mine I was sent to a nuerologist who said an mri would be good for reassurance of a brain tumour. But now more things have come from it
  • Posted

Hi again Emily, I am sorry you are going through a tough time right now.

I am wondering if you have had an ACTH test done to prove you have Cushing's? If that is high it will prove you have it. However, I see you wrote you have thyroid levels 'slightly under' Do you know what they were exactly?

You see, being slightly under by a doctor's standards can actually be rather debilitating by the patient. I was always slightly under....until the levels were readjusted by a new guideline, then I was Hypothyroid, and got treated. I suspect alot of your symptoms: Puffy face, tired, irritable, periods being slightly off, etc are to do with being hypothyroid.

Is it possible to show your actual levels with the pathology referrence ranges? Did you obtain a copy of them?

I think you are ok, that you don't have a cancer, but are actually being not treated for an underactive thyroid...even anxiety can be related to being hypothyroid.

• Posted

I was actually thinking about my thyroid today and maybe of it is that. Last time I was tested for my thyroid was around january and they were very slightly under which they said isn't enough to treat. But my hands are so painful and my legs. Just everything hurts so much.

I haven't been tested for cushings as the endocrinoligist said I didn't need to worry about my pituitary gland being slightly enlarged. (And when he said slightly, he meant literally the tiniest little bit )

I just kept worrying about adrenal cancer and adrenal tumors. I suppose I'll have to wait until my next endo appointment on the 30th april

• Posted

Sorry for not getting back to you. Life got in the way!

Unfortunately it may well be that you will need to wait till you see the Endocrinologist. Make sure you ask him to do the ACTH test.

Let us know how you get on!

• Posted

Hey, it's okay.

Yes the appointment is on the 30th so not too long away. And he should tell me the results of a blood test for the various ones I had on my first appointment.

In the meantime i have read about a girl having a cancerous tunour on her adrenal gland and she had leg pain and stomach ache. Ive had leg pain for ages now so im freaking out about adrenal Cancer again. Ive had a panicky feeling all day, even going out to a restaurant to have dinner i couldn't really eat without feeling as though something was going to happen sad

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.