Worried about chest pain and chest tightness

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi guys, I'm 25 years old and my biggest fear is getting a heart attack. Every pain around my chest will make me worry. I had 3 ECG and 1 stress test done 6 months ago and everything came back fine. My chest starts to feel pain and tight on and off for about a week. Sometimes my face and neck will turn red suddenly and disappear within seconds. Also, whenever I stand, I cant breathe properly which gave me tight chest. Can someone please reassure me!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Have you talked to the doctor about anxiety? I have these same symptoms with my anxiety. It is a very unpleasant feeling but you can't die from it. I use to to think I was having a heart attack and freak out and it just makes it worse. This web site has helped me a lot and I ended up getting put on medication for my anxiety. You are not alone and there a lot of people here to talk to b

• Posted

Yes I've been given medications but I did not dare to take it as I'm afraid of the side effects and how long I might have to take to wind off from it. I'm worried about my health and can't stop checking my body for any physical symptoms every single day. It's been a year and I'm so scared of dying everyday.

• Posted

I was the same way every little thing I found or felt I thought I was going to die. It is the the worst feeling you're not alone there are a lot of people here that know exactly what you're going through. I didn't want to take the medication either but I'm so glad I did. It takes a little while for the body to adjust to but it gets better. I took mine at night in the beginning and slept though the first couple weeks then switched it to the mourning. Also there are a lot of meditation videos on YouTube that help a lot too.

• Posted

Hi. 

I'm sorry you were feeling so anxious about all of this. I'm very glad that your test came out normal. You can rest assured  that your heart is OK,  according to the doctor. Do you suffer from anxiety? The symptoms that you were having can definitely be related to that! Also, symptoms from anxiety can never hurt you! They can be scary and feel weird but that is all.

I would like to share with you some things you can try to see if it helps. These have helped me tremendously and I share them with others who have really thanked me. 

some of this may or may not pertain to you but take out of it  and use what you think may help you!   This way, when you feel your body calming down, you will know  The symptoms you had were anxiety related and nothing else. Here is what I share:

I have had every symptom from A to Z, all my tests were normal. Every symptom was anxiety and stress related.

Just remember one thing, symptoms brought on by anxiety and stress cannot hurt you! They feel weird and uncomfortable but that's it. What you have to do is learn how to calm down your brain. That is how I make my symptoms go away. Your symptoms are caused by an anxious brain. Over the years I have learned how to manage it. 

keep in mind that if you ever feel you are having  a true emergency, always get immediate medical help! 

1.  what I did was first of all speak with a counselor. They see this on a daily basis and have the tools to help you manage this. Anxiety and stress is difficult to manage on our own and it really helps to talk to someone else. I keep going even when I start to feel  better because it's like a lifeline for me. Find a counselor you feel comfortable with. They help you see the anxiety for what it is and it help you manage it. If you ever really feel out of control and can't manage, seeing a counselor would be the first best step!

Remember....FEAR  stands for false evidence appearing real.   Which means sometimes when we have symptoms we think they are related to some terrifying disease, when in reality the odds are much higher that they are not.   Our minds  will go to the negative if we let it, so we must be in control.

Don't let fear take you over! Be a fighter for yourself! 

2.   Secondly, I go to Google or YouTube and look up audio meditations like one called I put in my earbuds and lie down and listen to them. They teach us to separate our thoughts that are negative from ourselves. This is something I think could really benefit you!! They completely  calm down my brain and body to the point where I almost feel like I'm floating.

A couple I really like are called "Train your mind to relax and sleep " and "clearing subconscious negativity"

Also I really like some called guided mindfulness meditation.

This is such a great thing to do for your brain and overall health. I do this a couple times a day  specially when I'm laying down to sleep. 

it will just calm everything down when you  are having an acute anxiety attack 

For panic attack, search you tube for "panic attack emergency "

3.   Stay active! The worst thing you can do is sit around and think too much about all this. It will bring on more anxiety. As well as the symptoms. When I exercise my body completely calms down and the symptoms often go completely away. 

4.   Stay social! This helps keep your mind off your worries. The less you are alone the better at least until you manage your anxiety. Just do things that you enjoy. 

When  feeling anxious or anytime you'd like, do deep breathing.  Brings you back to the present moment which is very important. Breathing through your nose for about five seconds and make sure your stomach rises. Then exhale through your lips as though you're blowing out a candle slowly for another five seconds. Do this as many times a day as you need to. It helps if you're lying down but you can also do  it sitting.   Concentrate on how the air feels going in and coming out. This is explained in the book called Mindfulness .

Eat healthy! Stay away from processed foods especially sugar. Sugar has an inflammatory response including in the brain. This will just increase your anxiety and can possibly bring on depression. 

Remember,The WORST thing you can do is react with fear and anxiety when you get anxiety symptoms. Then your brain shoots out a hormone to protect you but it can cause your heart to beat faster, which in turn creates more anxiety! A vicious circle.

I have had symptoms for many many years on and off and now I pretty much ignore them but I do try to stay as healthy as possible and do those things I listed above. The meditation audios really are excellent please try them and do them often !

It's important to know that when you have an anxious or negative thought, don't try to fight it off. Instead, calmly acknowledge that it is there, then visualize it floating off into the sky.  If you react with anxiety, you will become more anxious and have more symptoms. This is also explained in the book.

see if any of this calms you down and relieves your symptoms.

You have to be consistent at practicing this and don't get frustrated if one day you feel better than another. Eventually it all evens out and you should be able to manage your  symptoms. 

Hope you feel better soon!! 😁🎉

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.