Worried about Colon Cancer

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi All- I'm very worried that I have colon cancer. I'm a 50 year old female and have had issues for a very long time. My main issues is bleeding. There are times that I go where the blood is very little and just on the tissue. But there are times when I've had lots of blood on the toilet paper, and in the toilet and on the stools. Sometimes it's like this for months every time I go. Other times I can go without any issues. I did have a colonoscopy about 6 years ago (because of the same symptoms) and they said everything was fine. No polyps and they took a biopsy of the colon and tested it and said that was all good too. So, my question is since I've already had a colonoscopy, would that mean I'm in the clear since the symptoms are basically the same? Should I get another one. I'm just freaking out because I found out an acquaintance who is younger than me had similiar symptoms and has colon cancer. I did contact my gp about this and am waiting to hear back. Oh, also, i have lost about 10 lbs over the last year. This is due to some heartburn/indigestion which has caused me to not eat as much during certain times. But I have also gained a pound or two as well. So it's not like I'm just losing while still eating the same or more.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hi MCmom,

The fact is a colonoscopy is only as good as the day it was done, so after 6 years with the same symptoms its reasonable to expect to have another one, so you should definitely ask your GP for that, or alternatively go private to get it done quicker if you can handle the cost.

As you say, the good news is that you have had symptoms like this for months without change so it could be a number of bowel related issues, such as IBS, Crohns, an anal fissure, piles etc.

Also, you know the cause of weight loss which is excellent news.

Whatever it is, you should get examined and insist that your GP sends you for this, its the only way you will get peace of mind.

Good Luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.