Worried about colonoscopy and bowel cancer

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, 32 male here in northeastern US, chronic liver disease hepatitis B, 126 lbs, 5'7"

Weight was 135 three months ago now I am 126 lbs.

I am having a small stripe of bright red blood coating on my last stool and bright red blood when wiping on toilet paper. My previous blood in stool or on toilet paper were three weeks ago and ten days ago. I used Prep H and increased fiber and laxative beno-fibers as well as increasing fluid intake and exercise/walk. It seemed to helped but now the hemorrhoids/piles issue returned and itโ€™s only five days till my colonoscopy that I scheduled six weeks ago.

Is it okay to go through with it in 5 days? Is it safe for me to have a colonoscopy when I have hemorrhoids issue now? The procedure is on August 15th.

I know I will have to go through the prep so lots of explosive or diarrhea days before the colonoscopy. I have been straining and having irritation or anal pain prior to this week. I had soft stools and diarrhea for almost three weeks before this. I started the low residue or low fiber 5-7 days before the colonoscopy as advices and I am having issues with bowel movement, constipation and straining. I am planning to used Miralax for everyday now until the procedure. Do you have any suggestion for best cream to use before the day? What about specific diet or foods? I already bought white bread, white rice, apple and white grape juices, powerade drinks for electrolytes and other minerals. I am dreading the explosive days while having symptoms. Always a nervous person.

My procedure is a combined upper endoscopy and colonoscopy to rule out possible and serious problems from persistent ab pain and changes in bowel.

I started having abdominal pain since August 2018 that worsened though intermittently with bouts of blood in stools and mostly constipation. I returned to my vegan diet since June 2019. I had an ab/pelvic CT scan and flex sigmoidoscopy but without fasting or bowel prep; results were mostly normal except the possible volvulus of the sigmoid colon that the flex scope ruled out. I have internal hemorrhoids though. My pain still comes and goes so my gastro doctor wants to rule out other problems with a full colonoscopy. My blood work shows no anemia and my upper quad abdominal ultrasound showed no serious problems except gallbladder polyps that they said are stable at 4mm greatest polyp. My liver bloodwork is okay. Pain is upper and lower right.

I am still scared for colon cancer.

Please let me know if your symptoms are similar. I am afraid itโ€™s sinister as I have these issues for a long while.

Thanks! -Kev

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Yes you should go through with your procedure. It doesn't matter if you have hemorrhoids. Follow the instructions you've been given for your procedure related to fasting and the cleansing drink as that's very important. I'm betting they will NOT find cancer at all and hopefully you'll feel reassured.

• Posted

Thank you Ashley for your comment and assurance! Will follow through the prep and procedure. Tomorrow is clear liquid day and main prep and restroom camping. I also hope my procedure will go well.

• Posted

Hi, I am not a doctor but I can give my opinions. I am a very nervous person also. You only go through prep the night before colonoscopy. There are many different preps to use, ask your doctor. Then nothing to eat or drink after 12 midnight the night before.

The colonoscopy itself is not bad, you go to sleep and feel nothing, during or after. I had an endoscopy also a year ago. I went out to eat 1/2 hour after it was done.

Yes, still go for colonoscopy even with hemorroids. It will be ok. At least it will give you piece of mind, when you find out the results. Nerves can do a lot to you. Try to stay as calm as you can, it will be fine and over in a blink of an eye. You will do good. ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

• Posted

Hi Mary, thank you for giving me your experience. I did receive instructions for my prep, it's Gavilyte-N solution (the other option was full Miralax bottle). Tomorrow will be clear liquid all day and I am due to take the prep at 6pm. My procedure is at 3pm on Thursday. I am experiencing bleeding from possible hemorrhoids, but very constipated even taking doses of Miralax since yesterday. I have been consuming low fiber: no nuts, beans, vegetables for the last 3 days, but only all rice, crackers, tofu, applesauce, orange juice, almond milk, white bread, skinless baked potatoes hummus, etc.. low residue foods.

I am so worried for tomorrow prep I got a couple packs of baby wipes, two tubes of cool gels of Prep H, and cream of organic oils, coconut oils as well.

I had an endoscopy done about 7-8 years ago so I don't recall too much except I only fasted for a period of time.

Thank you for the advice! My close friend who's taking me on the Day has been telling me to stay calm too. I took her about 3 years ago for hers. Now it's my turn and I am wayyyy more worried than her. She tells me a lot advice but I just think she tells me things to not worry.

Thank you! Hopefully I will be good ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

• Posted

Hi, You are going to be fine. The prep is the worse of it all, but you can do it. I know how nervous you must be, but I promise you feel nothing for the colonoscopy. They put you to sleep before they do anything. When you wake up, there is no pain either. You can get up and walk..

It will be over before you know it. If I can do it, so can you... I am a nervous Nellie.. ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

I will be thinking of you on Thursday. You will be fine.

• Posted

Hi Mary,

I couldn't sleep. I usually end up in bed before 1. It's now 2am US EST here. Since my upper endoscopy+colonoscopy procedure is not until 3pm and no water after 10am, I started the prep late last night at 10pm (after shower and late chicken broth and apple+grape juices dinner). Thanks for your assurance! The prep is not as bad at all, it comes with a lemon flavor packet; also, I am used to take polyethylene glycol (Miralax), but this just has sodium and other electrolytes. I guess to prevent from losing those good electrolytes, I have Powerade as well. Had two explosive bowel movements and still couldn't sleep due to grouchy abdomen from the prep. The bowel movements have been too Much to handle, it's the worst thing as now my bum is soo irritated. Have not been feeling nauseated or vomiting yet, cross fingers they won't happen. Bad thing is I dropped my iPad on my right index toe on Tuesday so now I'm limping with either a sprain or a possible broken toe, couldn't drive, but I feel better after sleeping last night so did not get medical help. I am just looking forward to tomorrow after the procedure.

I will keep you posted then...

Was about to ask how your colonoscopy went, but from reading your comments in other posts (that I came across earlier this month), I am so sorry and wish I can give you hug. I wish you the best and beat this rectal cancer.

(We all have to be persistent with our doctors. In fact, since last year my GP brushed my abdominal pain as nothing but torn muscle or nerves, and with other bad experiences lately, I switched to another GP who is a vegetarian and closely align to my veg diet. Been on chicken broth just for this prep and procedure as my GI doctor said vegetable broth is not clear liquid, who knows?!)

Again, wish you all the best, Mary. Thank you for contributing to OUR forum! Keep in touch and keep us posted on your treatments and how you are feeling. You are not a soft Nellie but a brave soul!!!

• Posted

No problem, let me know how it goes...

• Posted

Will do.. forgot to mention my other half of the prep will be tomorrow morning since my procedure is so late.

Thanks, I am confident the anesthecia propofol will work on me as I was under it before. Shame, I wish for a sooner/early morning appointment but it's hard to fit in a double-scope procedure. Sorry with all the yapping.

Good night and bless you!

• Posted

Yap all you want, doesn't bother me. I too try to make early appts, waiting all day is torture for me. ๐Ÿ˜ƒ Always go with your gut feelings, they won't let you down. I have been on chemo 24/7 --I wear a pack around my waist and I have a portal surgically placed under my skin. It runs for 24hrs a day. Then I go for radiation every morning, Monday-Fri.... I still have a lot of pain and oh so tired. 4 more weeks of this I hope. Thanks for asking.

• Posted

I really appreciate you taking the time checking my post and others' too.

First of all, you are very brave and I am very sorry you are enduring all of this. Wish I can give you hugs. I hope at the end of this treatment you will feel better and shrink your tumor and rid of your cancer. Are you getting a CT or MRI scan after 4 weeks?

Have you been to other forums or get more supports (besides your family). Sometimes I feel having a helpline helps with dealing with many things; the ACS can also help with accommodations.

Wish you all the best, please keep in up touch and keep us updated.

• Posted

Hi Kev2500... How did you make out with your colonoscopy yesterday? Hope all went well, was thinking of you.

• Posted

Hi Mary, thank you for thinking of me. My endoscopy and colonoscopy went well. They took biopsy of the stomach just to check because of my right upper ab quadrant pain but other than that my GI tract mucosa seems normal. I was reaffirmed of small internal hemorrhoids they found on June 21 and now Aug 15. I felt very relieved it wasn't cancer. No diagnosis of IBS nor IBDs (Chron's or U Colitis).

My bum is very sore immediately from the scope and right now I am experiencing minor bleeding from the hemorrhoids. I have had a large movement on Aug 17, and very small movements and feeling constipated for the last two days; it's from dehydrated and forgot to take Miralax for chronic constipation.

Thanks again for asking

• Posted

Hi Kev2500,So glad there was no cancer. Hooray for you. Now you can get that off your mind.

I go back to my colon surgeon today, but have 3 more weeks of radiation and I have my chemo on me 24/7, be glad when this is over and my cancer goes away.

Happy for you again with no cancer result. Go celebrate, put some pain cream on you. Surprised it hurts. It will heal up.. keep in touch and good luck. ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.