worried about constant thirst? possible diabetes?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi, for the past 5 days I have been uncontrollably thirsty and I am unable to quench my thirst, I am also  going to the toilet a lot more. (which does make sense!)My thirst has been my mouth and throat feeling really dry. I haven’t got any other symptoms of diabetes that i’m aware of. If anyone could give me some advice who has been diagnosed with diabetes or if anyone has ideas of something else it could be? Also i have noticed it’s not got anything to do with what i eat, for instance it’s not worse after eating something salty. For refrence I am a 17 year old girl who has/had JIA (arthritis) caused by autoimmune system.

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Could be thyroid related. Sometimes thyroid issues have extreme thirst.

You should go to your regular doctor and get a physical and complete blood work.

• Posted

Didn’t think of thyroid, but it sounds plausible. Am planning to go to the doctor very soon.  Thank you for your reply.
  • Posted

Luci thirst and going to the loo were the first signs I had of type 2 diabetes. If I was you I would see my gp and get blood tests done. Wish you all the best.
    • Posted

I’m 17 so I would think if I did have it it would be type 1 but as far as I am aware extreme thirst is a symptom of both. Thanks for your help.
  • Posted

I was diagnosed with Type 2 twenty two years ago and the only obvious symptom was an extreme thirst for about three days. It was so had that I was drinking the water out of the jug that I was using to refill my steam iron!  I guessed it was diabetes as my father had it and later on my twin sister but her symptom was recurring thrush infections that wouldn't clear up, however many remedies she tried.  As soon as she cut out sugar the thrush went.  Of course your thirst could be down to something else but you should get yourself checked out and perhaps a free diabetes test at a pharmacy could be done if you can't get an appointment with a doctor for a while.

• Posted

Had an appointment yesterday! thank u for replying, helped me decide whether it was worth going for.
  • Posted

Yes you should see a doctor on that.

If you know anyone who already has a blood sugar meter, you could measure your own in a few seconds - anyone who owns a meter can probably help you with the procedure, have to prick your finger for a tiny drop of blood.

​I have recently become acquainted with these meters myself (guess why).

Or just go to the doctor.

• Posted

Had an appointment yesterday! thank u for replying, helped me decide whether it was worth going for.
  • Posted

Not sure if anyone will see this but looking for a bit more advice as went to doctors and she told me she was worried she could possibly see glucose in urine and was also concerned about my heart beat and rate so sent me to a&e. At a&e had blood test and ECG. Blood test said my my blood sugar was 4.5 one person told me that meant i didn’t have diabetes another doctor said i need further testing as i could? I’ve tried googling it but it’s not helping so could anyone possibly tell me if my blood sugar was normal? Many thanks!

• Posted

Which blood test did you do? If it's the HbA1c then 4.5 is normal.

All the best.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.