Worried about CT Scan

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello ,

new symptoms on kidney stones , here what happened to me about two weeks ago started having to pass urine more often than normal went to my doctors and they done urine sample and said not enough  white sells to say for sure if I have infection , so went away to see what happens over the weekend started getting niggle sensations down below , not sure where or what this was !, but on the early hours of Monday morning has a feeling I needed to pass urine but nothing realy came out but then got the most awful pain in my back on the left side which lasted some time and I then was passing blood so phoned 111 and was told to come to AE to be seen there they done another urine test but said because there was a lot of blood in my urine they can't tell if I have infection as well but think it could be a kidney stone , sent home with pain killers and was told that I would get a phone call from the hospital for a scan after the bank holiday weekend which I am still waiting for . Has anyone on here had same symptoms and are they right about it been a kidney stone ? 🤔Any reply please . 

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Not too dissimilar to my own experience almost 3 years back - I totally blocked up for many hours, thankfully it suddenly released as it was agony,  but I am still waiting for that promised call for a CT!

Get on to your GP and tell him what has happened and what was said and you need a CT scan - and pronto... (he may even be able to access the hospital notes anyway) don't let them fob you off with ultrasound if you think it is a stone, mine saw nothing at all despite having stones both sides, one was 11m the other 7mm - it is good for  some things, but for others Ultrasound couldn't find a football in a bucket!

• Posted

Thanks Ian for you reply and advice will keep checking up on my scan and see how the next few days go .
  • Posted

Oh,and in the meantime ask him for alpha blockers, (eg. Tamsulosin) it can help pass a stone, but in any casae it definitly reduces the pain from Renal colic
  • Posted

Sounds like a kidney stone but the scan will confirm.

Don't worry about the scan itself - painless procedure.

A stone can cause blood in your urine as it's a jagged piece of stone that will scrape the lining of your tubes and give you the urge to pass urine as well. The pain will come and go as the stone adjusts its position until it finally passes all the way down, or until it is fixed by other means.

Meantime, take painkillers to help you cope and drink plenty to flush it down.

Remind for the scan as they might think you're OK and put you to the back of the line.

let us know how you get on.

• Posted

Thanks for the reply , will let you know how I get on .
    • Posted

Hello ,

well got a phone call last night can I come in for a ct scan today at 9-30 which I was realy pleased about 😀It was over in no time but the  person doing the scan said it will take about two weeks to get results back 🤔But after the scan she said it should be back in the next 7 days but couldn't tell me anything there and then , so frustrating , but back home now I am starting to worry what they have seen there , my mind running all over the place what if it's something more serious , 😓 See what I mean has anyone or you felt like this while waiting for what the hell is going on ??? We are off on holiday next Friday and was hoping to sort things out before then , so you can see why I need to know before then . 

• Posted

Mine have been reported on in a week before, but every place can differ and of course it depends on how busy they are too.

Just had an MRI scan yesterday and was wondering when to book to see the Doctor myself!

Don't worry, as long as you are not in the worst of pain, nothing very urgent will happen in any case, I have two stones currently myself, one has been there at least 3 years, the other has recurred since surgery over 2 years back!) - obviously if things bung up again, go to A&E! Naturally once they know one way or another things can be progressed and treatment (Lithotrpsy or Ureteroscopic surgery if necessary, it depends where a stone is) or whether it can be left for the time being (they call that "watchful waiting!"). Just drink plenty in the meantime.

If it isn't a stone, obviously that then can be followed up as appropriate.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.