Worried about general anesthesia

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello, I have to have back surgery on July 21st to correct a ruptured disc. I am only worried about the general anesthesia, though. Does anyone mind sharing their experiences with general anesthesia? I'm 26 years old. I do take blood pressure meds. Thanks!

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I have not had spinal surgery but I did react badly to a general anaesthetic about 8 years ago. I have been advised therefore to avoid having a gerenal anaeshetic where possible

This study in the General Research of Medical Sciences comparing general anaesthetic v spinal an. in "elective lumbar spine surgery"

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3214358/ says that eiither is used although general anaesthetic is the usual one.

I do not offer a view on this!

• Posted

Hi,

I understand UR concerns. Patients can be given supplemental oxygen and can be premedicated if necessary. This will be realized by the PRE-Op exam usually done a few weeks to a few days in advance. Also UR anestheologist will visit u before surgery on the day of surgery to discuss any concerns u may have.

Profound local anesthesia is the best means of limiting patient anxiety for surgery.

Good luck . Prayers sent UR way for successful results.

HOPE.

• Posted

Hi there, Drew. 

I'm 25 and had Spinal Surgery back in January 2012 and I'm going under the knife again this July for the same problem. 

In all honesty, I was petfited of the General Anestesia, I was worried about a multitude of things... Was I going to wake up half way through, or at all?? 

I know exactly how you're feeling, I know I was the same and probably will be the same again this time around. Although, this time I know what to expect. It's not as bad as you think it's going to be, all the ataff were lovely. I made them away it was my first operation and that I was a tad nervous - they gave me something for that to help calm me down. 

When it's actually time, it's a combination of a cannula and a oxygen mask that actually does the 'putting you to sleep', It's totally pain free and it really does feel like you're falling sleep. 

Once you've had your proceedure and you wake up, there will be a nurse by your side until it's time to go back to the ward. I did feel a little sick, but I wasn't. 

You'll be totally fine, it's nerve racking to start but once it's over you'll realise that theres nothing to it. 

Best Wishes,

Rich

• Posted

Hey Rich,

excellent positive reinforcement. Good job..

THANKX for sharing.lol

• Posted

Further to my reply on this topic, for the sake of completeness I will never have general anaesthetic again where this is possible because when having a hernia operation about 10 years ago I had an alergic reaction to the anaesthetic. I will not describe all that happened but suffice to say I now have a local anaesthetic where possible. I will add that this was a very unusual event and it shouldn't affect what you decide to do.
    • Posted

Sorry to hear that... I suffered a similar issue.. It's experiences like that give us caution to any proceedure if surgery is involved.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.